Proposed 2023 OBR/MLB Rule Changes

SeeingEyeDog

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-set-to-implement-rule-changes-for-2023-including-a-pitch-clock-per-report/

Greetings brothers...well, we have The Dead Ball Era. Now it seems we are headed for The Clock Era, I guess. This is not baseball. This is not a baseball decision. This is a business decision.

Pitch clocks, end of the defensive shifts and larger bases (but, not the softball double base because that's softball and we can't have softball innovations in the game even if it would fix the game of baseball).

~Dawg

This ain't baseball!

The SHIFT or bringing an outfielder close to the infield is a brilliant defensive strategy.  And batters can learn to hit 'em where they ain't, right?  Try laying down a bunt!  Why do you pay these "stars" so much $$$$ if they can't adapt their batting style!  

The basic rule was that the pitcher had to be on the rubber and the catcher had to be in the catcher's box.  ll other defenders needed to be in fair territory ANYWHERE!  Period!

Well, what difference does it make?  Nobody watches baseball anymore.

Mike

16 minutes ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Nobody watches baseball anymore.

Mike

This is why the changes are being made, IMHO. Other sports have made drastic changes, too:  I'm old enough to remember the two-line pass penalty in hockey and when zone defenses were illegal in basketball.

I don't like the changes, but I get it. MLB is trying to attract new fans, and the current generation is too addicted to their iPads and iPhones to pay attention to a 3-hour game where only 2 runs are scored.

I'll just see myself out now.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Vegas_Ump said:

This ain't baseball!

The SHIFT or bringing an outfielder close to the infield is a brilliant defensive strategy.  And batters can learn to hit 'em where they ain't, right?  Try laying down a bunt!  Why do you pay these "stars" so much $$$$ if they can't adapt their batting style!  

The basic rule was that the pitcher had to be on the rubber and the catcher had to be in the catcher's box.  ll other defenders needed to be in fair territory ANYWHERE!  Period!

Well, what difference does it make?  Nobody watches baseball anymore.

Mike

Every other sport has specific rules to where players are allowed to be at specific times - from offside rules, covering the end in football, time in the key, etc, etc.

I see nothing wrong with a rule enforcing infield and outfield positioning...the current defensive strategy has led to a significant decrease to the number of times a ball is put in play - making the game less enjoyable for EVERYBODY.

Hitting is hard enough as it is.

• Like 2

“Why don’t they lay down a bunt”?

All of these batters were the best of the best their whole lives.  How often does the star batter; the guy destroying everyone in youth/travel/hs/college laying down bunts?

Now they have to against the best pitchers in the world who throw 100mph with movement?

I agree that contact hitting needs to come back over the launch angle era, but have to disagree on the bunt aspect.

Side note, I say the same about NBA.  Reason so few shoot well is because they never needed to, they’ve grown up just dominating everyone and dunking over everyone, now in the nba they can’t and have to shoot over them

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

I agree that contact hitting needs to come back over the launch angle era, but have to disagree on the bunt aspect.

Side note, I say the same about NBA.  Reason so few shoot well is because they never needed to, they’ve grown up just dominating everyone and dunking over everyone, now in the nba they can’t and have to shoot over them

I call it the ESPN Effect. No one's interested in the small play anymore because it doesn't make highlight reels. Big hits in hockey and football, dunks in basketball, big flies in baseball:  they're all highlight-reel inducing plays that garner more attention now than the smaller, smarter plays that require the viewer to see more nuance.

That's one of the reasons I like baseball over the others.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 834k3r said:

I call it the ESPN Effect. No one's interested in the small play anymore because it doesn't make highlight reels. Big hits in hockey and football, dunks in basketball, big flies in baseball:  they're all highlight-reel inducing plays that garner more attention now than the smaller, smarter plays that require the viewer to see more nuance.

That's one of the reasons I like baseball over the others.

Now there's an idea. Instead of web gem, what about strategery? Chess in baseball?

Oh, right. Boring.

Can we take a moment and realize how perfect the base distances are? I was always amazed that this distance most always generated excitement on a simple ground ball. It seemed the most fair between the offense and defense too.

It starts with the runner hustling, of course, but if the fielder maintained his rythem (sp?) or made a great backhand play, or dove, or charged, it was going to be banger.

To illustrate this point further, MLB decided to add ~80 square inches or maybe 3 inches closer to the batter or 3 inches for the runner not to get picked off on a throw over. 3 inches. How perfect is that?

And this was decided before analytics started ruining this game.

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

The BR is now closer to first base so he’ll get there faster and more guys will be on base, leading to more scoring.

The first baseman is now closer to the third baseman so he’ll catch the ball sooner and then…..uh, wait. Whoops.

3 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Can we take a moment and realize how perfect the base distances are?

“Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." -Red Smith

5 hours ago, Velho said:

“Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." -Red Smith

The romantic in me wants to agree.  The math teacher in me says “It needs to be a Pythagorean Triple.”

On 9/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, 834k3r said:

I don't like the changes, but I get it. MLB is trying to attract new fans, and the current generation is too addicted to their iPads and iPhones to pay attention to a 3-hour game where only 2 runs are scored.

S8GLBCuICJtkKJERhNtIWSo2a2-ROQKFNhGSpppk

On 9/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, 834k3r said:

This is why the changes are being made, IMHO. Other sports have made drastic changes, too:  I'm old enough to remember the two-line pass penalty in hockey and when zone defenses were illegal in basketball.

I'll just see myself out now.

giphy.gif

I've never understood this take...so, the ONLY people on this planet who dislike change are grumpy old men?

~Dawg

I agree on the pitch clock. It will make baseball faster and more.exciting just like the shot clock prevented teams from stalling in basketball.

Speaking of basketball, I think baseball should adopt a technical foul for behavioral infractions that might not be serious enough to warrant an ejection. In basketball, 2 direct technical fouls equal an ejection, so if a player or manager can get put on blast without getting tossed, it might increase the level of civility in the game. It might also make people less willing to clear the benches if doing so is one step towards ejections. I would also introduce game-specific consequences for behavioral infractions. If the offense misbehaves, they are charged a penalty out. If the defense misbehaves, all runners move up one base (or the batter is awarded first, if there are no runners on). Arguing balls and strikes in a close game would really cost the defensive manager if there is a runner on 3rd, because the behavioral infraction would award a run in that case. 

5 hours ago, mark38090 said:

I'm wondering if the youth leagues that use OBR are going to adopt these changes as well? The pitch clock i could see as an advantage for game speed up. I do a lot of 3 inning games with 1.5 hours hour time limits. 

Depends on the league.   In a lot of the leagues, there's not a whole lot of the nonsense that led to the clock being put in for the majors.   Of course, you have leagues where the kids are emulating their idols and spend a lot of time goofing around before the pitch or stepping out of the box and adjusting themselves between pitches.

Hopefully MLB will also address the time wasting nonsense of the dugouts and bull pens emptying when some one takes offense at the other team's perceived slight(s).

That stupidity does nothing other than waste time. Very rarely are there any real fights, and even then the rest of the team almost never does anything of any significance.

When the NHL (that says NHL for effs sake) decided it no Rant  wanted bench clearing brawls it changed the rules so it stopped. That was 35(!) years ago.

Enough with the fake macho "I got your back bruh" horsesh*t.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Hopefully MLB will also address the time wasting nonsense of the dugouts and bull pens emptying when some one takes offense at the other team's perceived slight(s).

Unlikely. How many times does this happen in a season? In a handful of the nearly 5000 regular season games? This is not a systematic waste of time that needs to be addressed by rule (which is not to deny that it is a waste of time).

Moreover, like fights in hockey, some fans regard this as a feature, not a bug (though hockey is a better bet for those fans).

so how do you get all the apparent action that everyone loves in a soccer game in which the in the premier league they only score 2.74 goals per game, and there are only about 10% of all shots taken in a game ending up in a goal. something like 35% of all basic shots taken in a game are actually considered shots on target (i guess that means having a shot at going into the goal rather than over or around it). so how do you get such excitement into a baseball game for all the apparent ADD that everyone has now.

seems like it is more of just a crapshoot of you either like it or you dont. but how does soccer make something so exciting and baseball cannot, with only 2.74 goals scored in a game and everything else they do when not shooting on the goal seem so exciting. if you opened up soccer to a 75 minute game like baseball would be without the commercials you would only open up the game to 4.6 goals per game.

9 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I agree on the pitch clock. It will make baseball faster and more.exciting just like the shot clock prevented teams from stalling in basketball.

... so if a player or manager can get put on blast without getting tossed, it might increase the level of civility in the game. It might also make people less willing to clear the benches if doing so is one step towards ejections. 

Just some random thoughts on those topics ... 

While I do not disagree with a pitch clock, it is very different in baseball than in basketball.  In basketball, milking the clock is a valid game strategy.  In baseball, it's just a whole lot of nothing.  Basketball used it to generate more offense.  Baseball is using it to tell people to get moving because the fans are bored.  An overall game clock to end the game is the difference.

What would increase the level of civility in the game?  When somebody gets tossed, security hauls them off if they don't leave.  No more of this "You're outta' here ... but we're going to continue to humor you and watch your little temper tantrum for another 2-3 minutes, so go ahead and get your money's worth."  [UEFL ka-ching]

Benches clearing for any reason (other than a player turning into a zombie or werewolf in the dugout) should not be "a step towards ejection".