Team Wendy Retrofit options

Umpiresrock74

We don’t have this option anymore unfortunately. TW has moved on to more profitable ventures (aka military contracts).  We’re lucky that we can still get mask pads!

A few have had luck with football pad refitters, but I don’t know of any personally.  

Riddell won’t even re-do their old Powers if you’re lucky enough to find one.

Greg @blue32 - any feedback to add?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

We don’t have this option anymore unfortunately. TW has moved on to more profitable ventures (aka military contracts).  We’re lucky that we can still get mask pads!

A few have had luck with football pad refitters, but I don’t know of any personally.  

A good seamstress or sewer could stitch whatever pattern you wanted with a seam around it if you supplied the padding and velcro attachments. I had a seamstress modify my Team Wendy to a more open neck (it was too tight) and half side panels. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I wish TW was still doing CP. I love their pads though, I will always wear them on my Nike ( Team Wendy+Nike… dynamic). I hope they will always/continue to sell and produce umpire pads, and maybe go back and do CP 🤞… not vey likely though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jimurray said:

A good seamstress or sewer could stitch whatever pattern you wanted with a seam around it if you supplied the padding and velcro attachments. I had a seamstress modify my Team Wendy to a more open neck (it was too tight) and half side panels. 

I think you hit on the bigger question … where would you get the materials for somebody to do it?

Okay, thanks. I just really liked the way that Team Wendy did them. With the way it looked around the neck, and jsut how nice and thin it was. So, who would I call about like getting a cover put on the foam, or should I find some foam that I can sew straps into. Does anyone know how the old Team Wendy Chest Protectors were made?

On 10/20/2023 at 5:52 PM, wolfe_man said:

Yeah I have nothing. Riddell did mine, but won’t do any others. Is @Razzer still working on replacement options?

• Like 1

I’ve been working on something for a while. I have a 1/2” thick prototype that I have worn all season, at the high school, and college levels, taking numerous hits just fine. It is very lightweight and breathable on hot days, differing greatly (in my opinion) from the Team Wendy padding, of which I own 3 chest protectors. My pads will be compatible with the Riddell Power and West Vest Gold, with the West Vest Platinum to follow. I am working on 100 units right now. I’ll update with pictures soon. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 10/20/2023 at 7:19 PM, umpstu said:

that there was someone in the Phoenix area that has done them.

:ph34r: ... that's not me! 

Really, guys, Team Wendy's Zorbium foam is wonderful, but we can't expect them to cater to such a fickle bunch as us for custom retrofitting someone else's products. That's the thing that chafes me so deeply with Wilson, and it's the same thing I excuse All-Star and Force3 about – why would any of those companies have any sort of motivation to knock themselves out developing, progressing, and supporting gear for us (umpires), with no recognition whatsoever, when the company that is supposed to be the Exclusive Endorsement from MLB has done nothing but sat on that status for 25 years???!! 

Zorbium (Team Wendys) and D3O are both a Thermoplastic PolyUrethane (TPU) – Ethylene-vinyl Acetate (EVA) advanced, dynamic "modern" foam. They are similar to memory foam, but better in two key characteristics (unfortunately which I cannot get into on this forum). Then too, memory foam itself is significantly better than common open-cell "upholstery" foam, which is still found in Wilson CPs and mask pads, and Douglas CPs and shin guards. I cut Douglas a bit of slack because they are still made in the USA, but there are no excuses about the international conglomerate-slug that is Wilson. 

D3O, and material like it, is really going to be our best material. It's low volume, lightweight, and hydrophobic (sheds water instantly). It is also, by nature, anti-microbial. 

I don't pooh-pooh any umpire's admiration and pursuit of the Team Wendy retrofitted CPs. At the time, they were the best, near-bespoke gear to have! However, with Team Wendys withdrawing from custom services (military contracts will prompt that), there really are better options out there. 

8 hours ago, Umpiresrock74 said:

Does anyone know how the old Team Wendy Chest Protectors were made?

I know exactly how they were made. 

On 10/20/2023 at 6:11 PM, Jimurray said:

A good seamstress or sewer could stitch whatever pattern you wanted with a seam around it if you supplied the padding and velcro attachments.

You're on the right track, but the Number One Mistake (or Shortfall) performed when doing this sort of bespoke work is to think of the foam pad/vest/jacket in a conventional single-piece manner. Why??? 

Don't!! As soon as you look past the conventional-thinking construct of a CP like the Gold, you start to discover all the faults of the unit. Instead of having one (bulky) slab of open cell foam encased in nylon, you create segments that make contact with the body at critical points, at varying thicknesses. This optimizes fit and airflow between the segments themselves. The carapace plates can then be connected by splines (I favor spectra-fab or seatbelt webbing, which has integrated strength and tear-resistance by nature) instead of anchoring them to the big bulky uni-pad with rivets... or velcro. 

Rivets are so low-brow and cheap. 

The All-Star Cobalt has come the closest I've seen yet to an ideal CP. Uses TPU-EVA foam, arranged in pods (segments), teamed with HDPE carapace plates. You'll notice, they don't produce it in multiple sizes, nor do they need to. That's because there is adjustability in sizing/fitting the unit. Yes, I do acknowledge, they kinda botched how the extension attaches, and I (for one) don't like the shape of their ailettes and shoulder pauldrons all that much, but barring the availability of Schutt/Adams XVs, I would purchase a Cobalt above anything else. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cavalier1948 said:

I’ve been working on something for a while. I have a 1/2” thick prototype that I have worn all season, at the high school, and college levels, taking numerous hits just fine. It is very lightweight and breathable on hot days, differing greatly (in my opinion) from the Team Wendy padding, of which I own 3 chest protectors. My pads will be compatible with the Riddell Power and West Vest Gold, with the West Vest Platinum to follow. I have 100 units ready, just trying to cross my T’s and dot my i’s. I’ll update with pictures soon. 

I've worn this prototype... It's good and everything he's saying. I've known about this project for a number of years now, and it's finally getting close as he said. The wait might be finally over boys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cavalier1948 said:

I’ve been working on something for a while. I have a 1/2” thick prototype that I have worn all season, at the high school, and college levels, taking numerous hits just fine. It is very lightweight and breathable on hot days, differing greatly (in my opinion) from the Team Wendy padding, of which I own 3 chest protectors. My pads will be compatible with the Riddell Power and West Vest Gold, with the West Vest Platinum to follow. I am working on 100 units right now. I’ll update with pictures soon. 

Just say when and I’m in! 

15 hours ago, Cavalier1948 said:

Douglas, please!  Original West Vest Douglas, and current :nod: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UmpWRB4 said:

Just wanted to see if you guys have favorite MLB umpires? These guys in the MLB are just so good at what they do, post who your favorite MLB Umpires are! 

Mine are:

(Still working) Ben May, Marvin Hudson, Chris Guccione, Mike Muchlinski and John Tumpane 

(Retired) Ted Barrett, Tim Timmons and Joe West

Who are yours??? HAPPY UMPIRING!!!

Marvin Hudson, John Tumpane, and Jansen Visconit. 

Marvin Hudson is great! I met him like 2 years ago when I called in to place a order at his shop, hudson51. He is a great guy! 

18 hours ago, Cavalier1948 said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, MadMax said:

:ph34r: ... that's not me! 

Really, guys, Team Wendy's Zorbium foam is wonderful, but we can't expect them to cater to such a fickle bunch as us for custom retrofitting someone else's products. That's the thing that chafes me so deeply with Wilson, and it's the same thing I excuse All-Star and Force3 about – why would any of those companies have any sort of motivation to knock themselves out developing, progressing, and supporting gear for us (umpires), with no recognition whatsoever, when the company that is supposed to be the Exclusive Endorsement from MLB has done nothing but sat on that status for 25 years???!! 

Zorbium (Team Wendys) and D3O are both a Thermoplastic PolyUrethane (TPU) – Ethylene-vinyl Acetate (EVA) advanced, dynamic "modern" foam. They are similar to memory foam, but better in two key characteristics (unfortunately which I cannot get into on this forum). Then too, memory foam itself is significantly better than common open-cell "upholstery" foam, which is still found in Wilson CPs and mask pads, and Douglas CPs and shin guards. I cut Douglas a bit of slack because they are still made in the USA, but there are no excuses about the international conglomerate-slug that is Wilson. 

D3O, and material like it, is really going to be our best material. It's low volume, lightweight, and hydrophobic (sheds water instantly). It is also, by nature, anti-microbial. 

I don't pooh-pooh any umpire's admiration and pursuit of the Team Wendy retrofitted CPs. At the time, they were the best, near-bespoke gear to have! However, with Team Wendys withdrawing from custom services (military contracts will prompt that), there really are better options out there. 

I know exactly how they were made. 

You're on the right track, but the Number One Mistake (or Shortfall) performed when doing this sort of bespoke work is to think of the foam pad/vest/jacket in a conventional single-piece manner. Why??? 

Don't!! As soon as you look past the conventional-thinking construct of a CP like the Gold, you start to discover all the faults of the unit. Instead of having one (bulky) slab of open cell foam encased in nylon, you create segments that make contact with the body at critical points, at varying thicknesses. This optimizes fit and airflow between the segments themselves. The carapace plates can then be connected by splines (I favor spectra-fab or seatbelt webbing, which has integrated strength and tear-resistance by nature) instead of anchoring them to the big bulky uni-pad with rivets... or velcro. 

Rivets are so low-brow and cheap. 

The All-Star Cobalt has come the closest I've seen yet to an ideal CP. Uses TPU-EVA foam, arranged in pods (segments), teamed with HDPE carapace plates. You'll notice, they don't produce it in multiple sizes, nor do they need to. That's because there is adjustability in sizing/fitting the unit. Yes, I do acknowledge, they kinda botched how the extension attaches, and I (for one) don't like the shape of their ailettes and shoulder pauldrons all that much, but barring the availability of Schutt/Adams XVs, I would purchase a Cobalt above anything else. 

Max, I talked to the guy who has the modified chest protector and he says a fella at an Army Intelligence base somewhere in Arizona, I believe the Phoenix area, is who did the work for him. Maybe he meant this.

Fort Huachuca Army Base in Cochise, AZ