Official AllStar Cobalt Product Launch

Matt Arcovio
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1319 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I NEED more of this!

At 1 hour in, Stan had shown us the MAG mask and the Cobalt helmet... and none of us cared! We were all having far to much fun watching Stan talk about everything they do AND he brought us around the lab!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I NEED more of this!

At 1 hour in, Stan had shown us the MAG mask and the Cobalt helmet... and none of us cared! We were all having far to much fun watching Stan talk about everything they do AND he brought us around the lab!!!

Was too long of a presentation.

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I NEED more of this!

Glad you liked it Arik. This was a first of its-kind event. We were really excited about doing the show and how it went. Thank you.

This is the link to the products. We were glad to FINALLY be able to put this on the site and to share details on the Cobalt line, especially the Cobalt hard shell CP. 

https://www.ump-attire.com/cobalt

Here is the rundown on availability to order now:

-Skull caps: in stock in S, M and L (XL TBD)

-Hardshell CP: 72 ONLY available for pre-order.
The reason only 72 is those are the first batch that are being air freighted for the earliest availability. The rest are TBD as you heard on the call.

These 72 came off the line yesterday and are being air freighted out TODAY. Harness assembly is being added in US. Expected shipping for the first to get from us is mid-Sept!

We expect the first 72 to sell out - maybe as early as this weekend.

Guys ........

I posted some questions on the youtube video page where this took place, but bringing them here too:

FIRST .......great presentation!!

1) On the CP:  At the gap between the main chest plate and the shoulder arch ...is there enough padding there to stop a potential 'stinger'?  
2) Again on the CP:  If you chose to take off the shoulder 'gap-cap' protection, is there enough padding there to stop a potential 'stinger'?

3) On the Skull cap:  Can you use a standard umpire harness with the MAG mask and have the mask stay secure, and.... can you take off the mask without taking the helmet off with it?  I've seen quite a few MLB umps wearing a skull cap, and when they take their masks off, the helmet comes with it like it's all one piece (personally don't like that).  So ...will the helmet stay on when you take off the mask?
4) A lot of guys out here are stuck in "navy -land" unfortunately .... I'm hoping you will make the new skull cap in navy also!

THANKS!!!!!!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Guys ........

I posted some questions on the youtube video page where this took place, but bringing them here too:

1) On the CP:  At the gap between the main chest plate and the shoulder arch ...is there enough padding there to stop a potential 'stinger'?  
2) Again on the CP:  If you chose to take off the shoulder 'gap-cap' protection, is there enough padding there to stop a potential 'stinger'?

3) On the Skull cap:  Can you use a standard umpire harness with the MAG mask and have the mask stay secure, and.... can you take off the mask without taking the helmet off with it?  I've seen quite a few MLB umps wearing a skull cap, and when they take their masks off, the helmet comes with it like it's all one piece (personally don't like that).  So ...will the helmet stay on when you take off the mask?
4) A lot of guys out here are stuck in "navy -land" unfortunately .... I'm hoping you will make the new skull cap in navy also!

THANKS!!!!!!!

I've noticed that too on #3.  Seems to be a thing.

#4 - Jim said they have no plans for navy last time I asked on here, which stinks for those of us in navy-land.  Will these hold a spray paint well? :D

9 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I've noticed that too on #3.  Seems to be a thing.

#4 - Jim said they have no plans for navy last time I asked on here, which stinks for those of us in navy-land.  Will these hold a spray paint well? :D

VERY unfortunate!!!   They just responded to me on Facebook ........ no plans for navy ..... that's bad! :no:

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, aaluck said:

That was a very interesting presentation last night.  I'm pleased to see a company really taking an interest in umpire gear for a change.

And ..it goes way beyond just taking an interest .... look at the testing they do right there under their own roof?   Who else does that with their equipment?

Answer:  NO ONE BUT ALL-STAR! :nod: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Guys ........

THANKS!!!!!!!

1) the soft padding is continuous so it fills most of the gaps between plates. 

2) of you think the gap on top of the shoulder is too large, keep the caps attached. They are very low profile. 

3) You can use a standard harness, the rough texture finish helps, but I’ve found found that a neoprene harness like the Delta Flex works better. I do not take the skull cap off in one piece. I run it like you’re taught at umpire school, out and up, no issue. The 4-stitch Length brim makes it pretty easy. 

4) Tell the people in charge that your wearing a skully for safety. If your allowed to wear a black HSM, this should be the same. There’s an officials shortage, you’re probably not going to loose games over it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt Arcovio said:

1) the soft padding is continuous so it fills most of the gaps between plates. 

2) of you think the gap on top of the shoulder is too large, keep the caps attached. They are very low profile. 

3) You can use a standard harness, the rough texture finish helps, but I’ve found found that a neoprene harness like the Delta Flex works better. I do not take the skull cap off in one piece. I run it like you’re taught at umpire school, out and up, no issue. The 4-stitch Length brim makes it pretty easy. 

4) Tell the people in charge that your wearing a skully for safety. If your allowed to wear a black HSM, this should be the same. There’s an officials shortage, you’re probably not going to loose games over it. 

First off thanks for the info Matt, I appreciate it!

I understand your answer totally, but it doesn't necessarily answer the question.  I was looking for an opinion from you guys.  Of course, at the end of the day, I'll be the judge ;) 

Thanks again Matt.  For me, it wouldn't be the same as wearing an HSM, and quite frankly I wouldn't walk on a field not matching my partner,... (again, that's me).  I'm not concerned with losing games,  I'm looking to match my partner/s in any way possible.   If this skully, designed for an umpire, doesn't have a navy option (with plenty of guys still stuck with navy) ... I'd love it if you could run that up the ladder?! :nod: 

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Guys ........

THANKS!!!!!!!

So glad you guys are continuing the conversation. I am going to echo what @Matt Arcovio said but with a different spin.

1) Yes!. The padding, specifically the pit pads, are adjustable there. Move them where you want.

2) That will be your call. The cap is there for a reason, but we know some of you will prefer an ultimate low profile look.

3) Yes! We did not get into that. The reason for the sand blast finish is so that it can be used just fine with a traditional harness. Matt says it works better with a Delta Flex harness. I won't argue. That is likely the most ultimate solution. You'll see some big leagues guys wearing it with the flex harness but those are likely the ones who are wearing with the smooth finish. The sandblasted finish was added later for that grip so that umpires won't have to upgrade to a new harness to make this work. We want to lessen the reasons for you not to buy and use this.

4) What Matt said. You can wear a black hockey style helmet with your navy shirt, too, correct? Tell your assigner it's a two-piece protective piece all-in-one...just like the hockey style helmet.

Great questions! Thanks Jeff for tuning in last night!!

One quick question that either hasn't been asked or I can't find the answer. What's the sizing of the protector with/without the extension? Being a taller umpire with height in the torso anything under 14" doesn't cover my last rib.