North Woods League Ejection

boyinr
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1751 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Come on guys!  This is just like a hot dog race around the bases, or a monkey riding a sheepdog.  Those aren't funny either. But  It's all for entertainment.  I like hot dogs, but I don't plan on suing Oscar Meyer for false advertisement when they tell me there isn't really a 6 foot hot dog on the menu at the ball park.  I'm a dog lover, but you won't see me calling the SPCA when they put a saddle on a border collie just so a monkey can look like a cowboy!   Step out of your plate shoes, pull the indicator out of your......pocket, and have a sense of humor.

I've seen worse things posted on the internet.

Ok ,  He completely hammed that up. I find the humor in it and can understand its making mockery of an older Yankees coach I would say, cannot recall maybe Martin?  

But its a skit in-between innings and well its comedy.

I'd allow it.. 

Not during the game of course but as a "skit"

Besides you know those minor league teams need everything they can do to get and keep fans in the stands..

19 hours ago, stkjock said:

Just saw this on FB, while amusing to a degree, sets a bad precedent    IMHO 

It's the minor leagues... no one is/was watching anyhow :cool:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mussgrass said:

Let's not take ourselves too seriously! At the end of the day we're all baseball fans. That was cute and funny!

IMO....I just don't like little kids mimicking adults...not on TV sitcoms, movies or this.  I get what they're trying to do, I just don't find it funny.

I thought it was kind of funny, it's obviously just a skit. I thought much of the outrageously outraged FB reactions were pretty silly. I don't really see it so much as "this is teaching kids to act like idiots" as much as it highlights how ridiculously childish and silly the adults are when they do the same thing.

• Like 1

If this was a North Woods League game...it is not the minor leagues.  Rather, the North Woods is a collegiate summer league.

In MiLB, if there was an "act" in town on a particular night (such as Birdzerk or the Chicken) they would run any skit that involved us umpires by us before the game to make sure that we were "okay" with it.  We always said "yes" on the condition that there had not been a SH*#house in the game.  If we were having arguments and ejections during the game, we just wanted to be left alone and not involved in a skit.  They always respected that boundary.  Hell, the Chicken would send gift certificates at Christmas to all the umpires of games he appeared at as a "thank you".

If, in the OP, they ran it by the umpires before the game and the umpires were okay with it...then I have no problem.  If they didn't run it past them, then I'd be pissed.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, lawump said:

If this was a North Woods League game...it is not the minor leagues.  Rather, the North Woods is a collegiate summer league.

In MiLB, if there was an "act" in town on a particular night (such as Birdzerk or the Chicken) they would run any skit that involved us umpires by us before the game to make sure that we were "okay" with it.  We always said "yes" on the condition that there had not been a SH*#house in the game.  If we were having arguments and ejections during the game, we just wanted to be left alone and not involved in a skit.  They always respected that boundary.  Hell, the Chicken would send gift certificates at Christmas to all the umpires of games he appeared at as a "thank you".

If, in the OP, they ran it by the umpires before the game and the umpires were okay with it...then I have no problem.  If they didn't run it past them, then I'd be pissed.

Whatever happened to the San Diego Chicken and acts like that?

I had the privilege of seeing one of Max Patkin’s last performances.  

Mildly entertaining. 

Take it for what its worth, an attempt at humor... Their target audience are the fans not umpires, so I'm not going to get worked up at this, BUT...

Thinking big picture, the problem I have is this is just another chip against umpires and sports officials in general. No, no run of the mill fan will ever say, "Did you see Hallion's call at 2nd last night?", "Drake's timing on that botched play was incredible."  "Did you see Knight's position in the wedge for that play at the plate?"  The point is we will never be appreciated, and we will actually always be the bad guy and even when we're right were wrong. 

Think of it as normalization of deviance, not in a TQM sense but a social one.  First, through repeated exposure people become desensitized to the fact this isn't acceptable (and humor is a great way to mask this, if doing intentionally). Next, people see and feel it the norm so it's okay, they look the other way, ignore it. Then finally when it's their turn in the situation they follow the precedence they've become familiar with and act as they feel they should vs how they would in a similar situation off the ball field.  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 1:17 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Thinking big picture, the problem I have is this is just another chip against umpires and sports officials in general. No, no run of the mill fan will ever say, "Did you see Hallion's call at 2nd last night?", "Drake's timing on that botched play was incredible."  "Did you see Knight's position in the wedge for that play at the plate?"  The point is we will never be appreciated, and we will actually always be the bad guy and even when we're right were wrong. 

Coupled with this, you'll always hear them say, "Did you see that umpire who kept yelling at the coach?" while screaming in delight when that same coach is "getting his money's worth."

On 7/23/2019 at 12:17 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Mildly entertaining. 

Take it for what its worth, an attempt at humor... Their target audience are the fans not umpires, so I'm not going to get worked up at this, BUT...

Think of it as normalization of deviance, not in a TQM sense but a social one.  First, through repeated exposure people become desensitized to the fact this isn't acceptable (and humor is a great way to mask this, if doing intentionally). Next, people see and feel it the norm so it's okay, they look the other way, ignore it. Then finally when it's their turn in the situation they follow the precedence they've become familiar with and act as they feel they should vs how they would in a similar situation off the ball field.  

Playing devil's advocate here but... Fans don't come to see umpires no matter how good their mechanics are, how the got into perfect position to make the call or the way the entire crew rotated on that ball hit in the gap. 

I personally don't officiate to be appreciated.  I do it because I enjoy baseball... and the extra $ don't hurt either. :-)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stl_ump said:

Playing devil's advocate here but... Fans don't come to see umpires no matter how good their mechanics are, how the got into perfect position to make the call or the way the entire crew rotated on that ball hit in the gap. 

I personally don't officiate to be appreciated.  I do it because I enjoy baseball... and the extra $ don't hurt either. :-)

I do. I bet many of you reading this do. My ticket costs the same as Mrs. McGillicuddy's does. 

Most fans really do not care about umpiring or umpiring concerns, I get that. Don't discount the wackos out there who watch officials, ring card girls, or Zambonis resurfacing the ice. It's all a part of the experience.