Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3848 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Let's make a poll for Thunderheads moderator position.  Jeff "Thunderheads" vs.BalkHawk "Made of brass".  :fuel:

Well, there's a big surprise, ... something that really doesn't make much sense from you .... :shakehead:

What does me being a moderator have to do with BalkHawk standing in front of a pitching machine testing the unequal? 

Now, if you're insinuating that you'd rather have BalkHawk as a moderator instead of me, then I guess I can see the meaning of your post, but, it still has nothing to do with the discussion here.  Moreso, ... if anything, we could probably use another moderator, but that's not up to me.  If Warren needs another, I personally think BalkHawk would do a good job. 

I was unaware of the red ball-marks issue with the cage test. Not sure why that would occur if the same amount of impact as a west vest was being dispersed.

I was unaware of the red ball-marks issue with the cage test. Not sure why that would occur if the same amount of impact as a west vest was being dispersed.

Yup ...

openly and admitted  by balkhawk (motoump at the time) .... you can find the original thread if you search unequal in the equipment forum ....

he got them w/ 70mph also....

Red marks did follow the impact. Lets not get too excited though. 

Use your thumb and index finger to thump yourself on your bicep, or another place where the skin is pale.

It didn't hurt, did it? Give it a few minutes and take note of the red mark that stays behind.

This should give you a pretty good idea of the red marks you may get when you are hit wearing the unequal.

I "openly admitted" any and all consumer information I thought would be relevant. 

I dunno, unless I pinch I don't get a red mark thumping myself with my thumb or finger.  Guessing I might if I did it really hard, but that would be counter to what I expect of my chest protector.  If it's true that it was 70mph, then I agree more game data will be welcomed. If CP 1 leaves no red marks and CP 2 does, I feel the former did a better job protecting me.

Don't get me wrong, I highly appreciate what you did in the cage to give us some feedback.

Forgot to update you guys. Worked a DH on Saturday and didn't get hit. AGAIN. Have another plate job tomorrow. Man, I sure hope I get hit. Plus my daughter gave birth to my second grandson, Levi William Jove. He's a beauty and bench presses 220, (I know, weak), and runs a 4.28 forty. 

• Like 1

Well, worked the dish yesterday and I was indeed hit by an 88 mph fastball. Not in the Force 3, but the bicep. And it hurt,,, ALOT. I know I can see seams and I think if I were to look close enough I might see the Rawlings emblem on my arm.

I mounted Bicep extensions on my WVG. I wear them as low as I can to try and cover my elbows. Shirt sleeve length determines how low I adjust them too. I have been wearing long sleeve shirts more this year. 

I have now read the entire thread, half on my phone. We have several guys in my group that have the unequal. They all say they like it, I am skeptical. I like my hardshell, I have taken tons of shots off of it and never had a problem. Can I be convinced to change, sure but I want a track record. The other thing I got out of trudging through this thread is guys are getting killed everywhere except in the protector. I have never been hit in the cup, I rarely get hit in the arms, maybe every five years I get a thigh shot. I get hit in the mask, CP and shin guards. The last thing I want to do is promote taking arm, cup and thing shots. :) I don't resist change but I approach it cautiously. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had something more to add to the conversation, but again I did not get hit in my Force 3. On another note, I did get hit in the face mask which was using Team Wendy pads. Piece of cake.

Took another sternum shot h.s. j.v.--I'm not a good judge of velocity--good pitchers throwing (I'm guessing high 70's perhaps 80?).  I felt the impact, but again it just felt like I'd been slapped across my whole upper chest.  A brief tingly feeling around my sternum, but nothing on the sternum where the impact was.  I waited for "pain."  There was none.  The kevlar really does seem to spread the force of the impact out laterally.  The one thing I have noticed is that this protector is so flexible, that I can run so much better.  The same game there were two instances where I actually stopped at the 45 ft line up the 1st base line on grounders to 3rd and short to wait for a possible pulled foot.  I'm 50, and have never before been able to get that far up the line for throws to 1st.  Now get me some of those new Unequal shin guards, and my next goal will be to to beat BR up the line.

Still all thumbs up for me with this protector.  Don't miss my Platinum at all.  And I left the lower abdominal plates on--as well as the optional underarm plates (they fit tight to the skin, so don't stick out like abdominal extensions on other protectors), and I've taken a few lower abdominal shots that hit those plates--would've hit "tummy" with my Platinum.  When I squat, almost my whole abdomen is covered.

I hope they'll drop the price again this summer so some more of us can check this protector out.  $279 is kinda steep.  I got it at the introductory price last Summer.  So glad I did.

I have had my UE since last fall. Worn it for probably 50 or so plate games (mostly HS and small College). I have taken 2 shots.

1st one was to the shoulder cap. It just sounded like a hit on plastic. no pain what so ever.

2nd shot was a foul straight back and it hit me in my pectoral on the right side. I felt the slap sensation that others have mentioned with the impact dissipating across my chest. It was sore for a few minutes, but it did not hurt and there was no bruising.

From what I can tell so far the CP works as advertised. I love the low how low profile it is.

The only real issue I have with it is the velcro from the extender on the bottom catching on my undershirt and it does not do as good of job holding my Rite Temp pads in place as my Douglas does.I might try tightening the waist strap a bit...by far the most comfortable protector I have ever worn.

I have had my UE since last fall. Worn it for probably 50 or so plate games (mostly HS and small College). I have taken 2 shots.

1st one was to the shoulder cap. It just sounded like a hit on plastic. no pain what so ever.

2nd shot was a foul straight back and it hit me in my pectoral on the right side. I felt the slap sensation that others have mentioned with the impact dissipating across my chest. It was sore for a few minutes, but it did not hurt and there was no bruising.

From what I can tell so far the CP works as advertised. I love the low how low profile it is.

The only real issue I have with it is the velcro from the extender on the bottom catching on my undershirt and it does not do as good of job holding my Rite Temp pads in place as my Douglas does.I might try tightening the waist strap a bit...by far the most comfortable protector I have ever worn.

I respect others' opinions but "sore for a few minutes" from a routine foul ball? Disqualifying to me, not when I don't feel sore from my All-Star and often didn't even feel it with my previous Gold (which would still be in service if it were 2 inches longer). To each their own...

I respect others' opinions but "sore for a few minutes" from a routine foul ball? Disqualifying to me, not when I don't feel sore from my All-Star and often didn't even feel it with my previous Gold (which would still be in service if it were 2 inches longer). To each their own...

Good Lord, here we go again ............way to 'kick the sleeping dog' scrounge! :D:wave:  :fuel: