Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3848 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has anyone tried the Delta Flex on the Unequal, mine is on order and was just wondering.  Thanks.

I use the delta on my unequal. You are making a great decision. It doesn't move and you can actually put it on without any help because the delta has some elasticity to it.

Has anyone tried the Delta Flex on the Unequal, mine is on order and was just wondering.  Thanks.

I use the delta on my unequal. You are making a great decision. It doesn't move and you can actually put it on without any help because the delta has some elasticity to it.

+1

• 3 weeks later...

End of Season Thoughts on the UE (replaced a Wilson Platinum).  Worked high school JV, youth ball, and Little League.  The original magical UE magnetic shield which made my chest impervious to impact for about the first 10 plates (high school--granted, better catchers) eventually wore off and I eventually got hit plenty of times.  Felt every impact--but the force of every single one of the impacts dispersed laterally--just as advertised.  No pain, mark, bruise, or other ill effect.  Loved the low profile, light weight (it feels heavy off, just because it's so flexible/body conforming in the hand).  The flexibility seemed to permit me to run easier--got up and stopped at the imaginary 45 more than ever before--in fact, I can't previously remember ever getting up to the 45 before a throw left the fielder's hand and thinking, "Gosh, I better stop right here."  Did that plenty of times this season.  The protector stayed put--never had to adjust it during a game, push it down, nudge it up, twist it, etc.  I was always fiddling with the Platinum during games.  Last LL game was last night (9-10 State Tourney).  Lower Gut Check :-)  I kept the lower abdominal extension on all season--so glad I did.  First, like the rest of the protector, the lower abdominal extension fits tight to the body.  Second, it seemed like I got hit in that lower abdominal extension more than any other place on the protector.  No rubbing needed after any of the impacts.  No abdominal spasms either--you know, the ones that hit the gut below the protector (with the Platinum, my tummy got pummeled plenty of times) that make you momentarily wonder whether you might have gotten the wind knocked out of you and whether you should call "time" because you might be fixing to double over.  No problems like that with the UE.  Took a shot last night to the left side of the lower abdominal extension.  Whew.  So glad it was there.  I also left the underarm extensions on and rotated the shoulder pads forward a bit.  Hard to judge pitching velocity, but I'm fairly certain that I got tagged with a few 80+ mph pitches and fouls.  Can't say I felt any pain or discomfort after any of them.  Took several shots to the lower abdomen that undoubtedly would have either knocked the wind out of me, bruised a lower rib, or made me rub and rub had I been wearing the Platinum. 

Constructive Criticism--The buckling system needs improvement.  I agree with Jason that having the buckles behind the back keep them from getting hit, and don't leave a "bump" on the front of the shirt (like the Platinum buckles do).  However, the thing is nevertheless a little inconvenient to buckle--you do have to twist and pull.  Is it a skill that can easily be mastered with some practice (like removing your mask with an 8 stitch hat)?  You bet.  However, could the buckling system be improved?  You bet.  I think some elastic in the straps could be added.  Some guys have indicated that they've purchased an Allstar Delta Harness from ump-attire and that it works great with the UE.  I'm going to do that as well.  But for the price paid, I shouldn't have to be buying an after market harness to improve the product.  We get dressed and geared up in some awkward spots.  Our gear should be designed to make that process easier, not harder.  Other than that small (very small) criticism, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Everybody knows I'm not a fan of the unequal. Probably 15 of our top guys have gone to them. About two weeks ago one took a shot. Broken collar bone, deep contusion on his neck and an ambulance ride. Thx, I'll pass.<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Everybody knows I'm not a fan of the unequal. Probably 15 of our top guys have gone to them. About two weeks ago one took a shot. Broken collar bone, deep contusion on his neck and an ambulance ride. Thx, I'll pass.<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

From the description you just gave it seems as if this could have happened with any protector, especially the neck shot. Seems like a fluke hit. I feel extremely well protected with my Unequal.

Well based off these reviews and what seems like a hundred pages of discussion on the unequal I have decided to give it a try. It shipped today and should be here Saturday, I have seen them in person and I can say I look forward to owning one. If it doesn't work as well as I expect then it will be my primary softball CP.

Well based off these reviews and what seems like a hundred pages of discussion on the unequal I have decided to give it a try. It shipped today and should be here Saturday, I have seen them in person and I can say I look forward to owning one. If it doesn't work as well as I expect then it will be my primary softball CP.

Enjoy it. It is a great chest protector. Get the delta harness from All Star. A good investment and it holds the protector up high and tight.

• 3 weeks later...

Something to think about. We are all aware of Wilson / Douglas widespread use by MLB Umpires. And it's obvious by seeing them in use they have the confidence and feel protected enough to utilize those products. Jim Evans is a baseball God for many no doubt. So the question is how many of his fellow boys in blue are wearing his product?

Hello Y'all,

My name is Manny and this is my very first post here on the board. I've been watching this thread and reading it numerous times. I'm a little puzzled. Twenty + years ago, I used a +POS BB203 12" model. It's been the only chest protector I've ever used. It was a simple foam based protector with plastic shields on the shoulders and hard material in the top of the ribs. The throat area was protected by a heavy material similar to the like seen on todays protectors. I umpired ever level from LL to Semi-Pro/Division I NCAA, and I'm a little confused to the content of this thread. I took plenty of shots and felt the impact, which was either a muffled thump off the protector ribs, or a clack from the plastic shoulder shields and pads. I never got bruised, or broke a bone. Did it hurt? I don't ever remember getting hit on the protector and getting hurt.

Now advance twenty years and we have all these other protectors. The BB203 is long gone, but models similar still exist. I can see that you can take shots from a foul ball, or a mishandled pitch by the catcher, but straight shots from pitcher directly to you are rare. Usually that's a missed sign and the catcher calls for a pitchout and the pitcher delivers one down broadway. I'm an honorably discharged soldier from the army and I used the Kevlar plates that the army uses in their chest vests. I can tell you that when a bullet hits those, it will knock you down and you feel the bullet, but the bullet is deflected and the force goes laterally. You will bruise. Now this is similar to the claim that Unequal has, in that it states the force is deflected laterally. The key is that there is a difference between the mass of the bullet and velocity as compared to the baseball, which is bigger, blunt, and slower. I have never used the Unequal, so I don't know if the ball would bruise, but doubt it since the velocity is way reduced compared to Kevlar's protective property allowances.

That being said, I'm confused at the reaction to this protector. The umpire who was taken away with a broken collar bone...there are a lot of variables that are left unanswered that the protector shouldn't necessarily be blamed. What stance did he have? Was he leaning too far forward? Was his head height improper since a lower head will mean that the chest protector is either lower than it should have been, or that the top of the protector was exposed from improperly leaning forward? Was the protector improperly seated on the umpires body? Or is the Kevlar protection that minimal/weak on the shoulder area? I would have to say that there are mutiple variables here that impacted this umpire. Especially if he was wearing a hockey type mask. Above all I hope that he has fully recovered and is in good health. Please do not interpret this as to say it was his fault. I'm just trying to deduce how this injury may have occurred. No ill is meant towards him.

I've watched the video of Jim Evans taking a hit. Some say (not here) that the video was edited because he did get hurt and they cut it out. Other videos show the same type of test and it just bounces off and the umpire is no worse for wear. I'm puzzled.

I'm needing to purchase a new protector after a long period of inactivity. Frankly it is such a tough decision as to which model to choose. I don't want to look like a football player. I want protection, but not the bulk of a Sherman tank. I just don't understand the negativity towards the UEF3, other than price concerns. Or is it something else?

Manny, I use the force 3 and will not go back. I've been hit and not bruised. People who say they don't feel it with other protectors, I don't know about that. I used to wear a West Vest and I felt it every time I was hit by a 80 plus fastball. It may have boomed and bounced off the protector, but I felt it. As far as the collarbone goes, the force 3 provides as much protection as any. You need to wear it high up as you would any other vest or it isn't protected. I recommend swapping out the straps for an All Star Delta Harness. Easier to maneuver than the straps and keeps it in place. I have yet had to adjust with this harness. Good luck and thanks for your service to our country.

There are many choices out there for protectors. We now have a second guy give up the unequal. His quote was it is an expensive sub part protector. He is a gear junkie with at least seven protectors. He said he might use it on small fields but will probably sell it .<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

There are many choices out there for protectors. We now have a second guy give up the unequal. His quote was it is an expensive sub part protector. He is a gear junkie with at least seven protectors. He said he might use it on small fields but will probably sell it .<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Who was that?

There are many choices out there for protectors. We now have a second guy give up the unequal. His quote was it is an expensive sub part protector. He is a gear junkie with at least seven protectors. He said he might use it on small fields but will probably sell it .

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Who was that?

Local umpire

If the Unequal has a ball repellent material, I'd like to see them make a cup.

I think prelimary testing was being done in a secret laboratory somewhere in the mountains of Protekturnutzisstan!

Secret Laboratory Testing

So were they testing the unequal or the nutty buddy?

• 4 weeks later...

I saw and held one last night for the first time. All I will say is, "I wouldn't wear it if they paid me." I might wear a Davishield before I would wear the Unequal.

Funny you say that. My first three years of calling ball I wore a Davishield and never thought a thing about it. Then I got my Platinum and I ask my self how I ever got by with the Davishield. I guess if you don't know any better it isn't so bad.

Not for nothing...I saw a guy put his Unequal on last night and curse every ounce of it. He started talking about 2 significant injuries he got this year. Of course he could have bought a new one ( he didnt for unknown reasons ) but nonetheless he never sustained any injuries with his old CP that he gave away the day the Unequal arrived.

• 2 weeks later...