Stress before 1st scrimmage

Rover125

I have my first srimmage tomorrow. I am so stressed out about the game I have been wanting to resign from the association but I kept coming along just thinking I would get through it. I am wanting to just leave and cancel all my games but feel bad to do that. I haven't been sleeping good and the stress is getting to me and affecting my other high stress job. I am also going through a divorce that is loads of fun as you can imagine.

I am also worried about getting hurt. Broken bones or concussions are things the instructors were saying happens and sometimes are unavoidable. I did not realize the danger, as this can affect my medical clearance to work my primary job if I get a brain injury or something similar. Thinking I should just try the scrimmage tomorrow since I have gotten this far but cannot keep getting like this as I will get a heart attack. You guys expereince this?

Mental health in umpiring is a real thing. Taking care of yourself is job #1.  Find an umpire colleague you can bond and share with - I've found the fellowship in the ump community helps a lot.

While I do have a bit of nervous excitement before that first game of the season, I find it's like riding a bike. Once the game starts, it just kind of flows and muscle memory kicks in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still get pre-game nerves--similar to when I stand up to give a presentation in front of people. Once I get dressed for the game and start the pre-gaming with my partner(s) the nerves settle down a bit. Once we start the plate meeting though, nerves are gone--it's game time. I think that's normal for most of us at whatever level we work The Craft.

It's entirely possible that you may not be in a place where you can put your utmost into your games. While only you can decide for yourself, I encourage you to give the scrimmage a shot. If you can't focus solely on the game, then maybe your life outside the backstop should take priority--and that's entirely possible based on your post.

If your equipment is solid, then your injury risk should be small.

Ultimately, only you can make the call whether you can umpire this season. If you can't, you owe it to your assigner to tell him as soon as possible. I'm sure he would rather you be honest with him if you can't work games, than work games when you're not able mentally to work effectively.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rover125 said:

I haven't been sleeping good and the stress is getting to me and affecting my other high stress job

Three questions: 

1. Where are you located? 
  2. What’s your own baseball background? 
  3. What’s the other (primary) job? 

To your benefit, you used a magical term – “scrimmage”. Which means this “game” is virtually meaningless. Are you to do this scrimmage with a partner or solo? 

22 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Three questions: 

1. Where are you located? 
  2. What’s your own baseball background? 
  3. What’s the other (primary) job? 

To your benefit, you used a magical term – “scrimmage”. Which means this “game” is virtually meaningless. Are you to do this scrimmage with a partner or solo? 

1. New Jersey

2. No umpiring background other than read rule book and mechanics manual cover to cover. I also watch minor league umpires to study their mannerisms.

3. Airline pilot. Used to higher stress things but the umpiring is on another level. Maybe a lack of confidence. 

I was scheduled to work the game solo but they did add a base ump. So I have never umpired and my first game will be behind the plate without any official training. My mentor assigned to me has been great and talked me through scenarios. He also mentioned the scrimmages are more for getting the players up to speed and practice.

What you are feeling is perfectly natural for any human being entering into a new situation or new environment. Like any other human endeavor (piloting a plane, for sure...) with experience comes more and more comfort with the situation and the environment. You clearly want to do well. Performing well umpiring a baseball scrimmage is clearly important to you as it is for all of us. I would encourage you to get out there tonight and work the scrimmage. In my market, we work scrimmages in 2-man but, there are usually 3 or more umpires there so we rotate in and out throughout the scrimmage. If you know there's more than two of you on the scrimmage, I would recommend you call your crew chief prior and ask if you could take the first sideline shift and let the other guys work a bit first. This way you can slowly introduce yourself to the environment.

As @834k3r said, ultimately it's your decision and only you know if you are mentally and physically fit to take the field. If you work it, please post back here and let us know how it went. We're with you, brother and everyone here has been through what you are going through.

~Dawg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Rover125 said:

3. Airline pilot. Used to higher stress things but the umpiring is on another level. Maybe a lack of confidence. 

Most likely.

My $0.02: give yourself some grace. I doubt you were a proficient pilot your first lesson. This is similar - and way lower stakes. 😉

There is no one size fits all on nerves. Time and experience usually helps. Personally after going to week long umpire school last fall, I've found my nerves have been cut by 95%. Reps and experience gave me the confidence.

Last thing is think about your measure of success. Calling a perfect game or managing the teams perfectly is unrealistic.* Accept it.

My measure is "did I stay calm and react to situations appropriately?". That I can control. (And hustling. I can always hustle).

Of course if I get a call wrong or misapply a rule, I'm pissed at myself but I have to set it aside during the game, examine it after the game, and make a correction for next time. That's all I can do.

* "We strive for perfection not because it's achievable but because it's where we find excellence"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rover125 said:

1. New Jersey

@Richvee? @Kevin_K? @conbo61? I realize NJ is a populated state, but any chance you guys could check in on the greenhorn here? 

16 minutes ago, Rover125 said:

2. No umpiring background other than read rule book and mechanics manual cover to cover. I also watch minor league umpires to study their mannerisms

Okay… let’s expand the question… do you yourself have experience in playing baseball? Any other sports or physical activities? We’re trying to find points of relevance and relatability for further discussion with you… 

To use your exact disclosure in an analogy… if I was to read a “How to Fly” book cover to cover, and then the Airbus / Boeing (or Bombardier, or Embraer, etc.) technical manual front-to-back, and then watch you operate and fly an airliner, would I expect to successfully fly an airliner on my own the first time I sit down in the pilot’s seat? 

Obviously not. 

However, no matter how many times I read those materials, nor how many times I watch you do it, at some point, I must sit in the seat, go thru the checklist, “light the fires”, kick out the chocks, release the brakes, and takeoff, right? 

30 minutes ago, Rover125 said:

Well, take comfort in the context… you can’t literally, actually crash & burn… only metaphorically. 

You’ve been in an “active” simulator, right? By “active”, I mean it’s one of those cockpit simulators with the actuators, on pistons, and the surrounding screens and stuff. Think of a scrimmage like a simulator. Or, if you’re being exceptionally daring… do you like rollercoasters? Think of a scrimmage like a rollercoaster. You experience all the physical sensations, but the action is largely controlled. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys. Great replies that helped me calm down a little. I did play baseball in high school. Always liked the thought of umpiring but life got in the way until now, and that I have enough time to do it. Was very excited, but the anticipation and thought of doing horrible freaked me out a bit for some reason. This is the first time I am doing something completely out of my comfort zone and thought of failure was getting to me. A lack of hobbies probably didn't help me, but the umpiring will get me out and help me.

What you said about the other job is right on. None of us go into something being experts, we make mistakes and improve. If I don't do a lot of games, how will I ever learn and even decide if umpiring is worth it for me? Will do the games on my schedule and report back. I bought solid equipment (Force3 Mask, chest protector, etc) and will try to look sharp.

• Like 2

I tell the teenagers I train for Little League--your first game will come at you quickly.  It'll seem like it's so much.  But your second, and your fifth, games will go even better.  Your fifteenth will go even better than that. (At some point they're not going to go better unless you keep putting the work in, but I digress.)

As others have said, you'll be raw because you are raw. Nothing wrong with that!  You got this brother.  If 13 year olds I struggle to keep on task can go out, not get hurt, and do a decent job for the level, I'm sure an airline pilot can.

Do you have a pump-up jam?  I first saw Hamilton right before my first state tournament; ever since I've adopted "My Shot" as my get-ready music.  Gets me in the "I belong here, and I'm about to show it" head space. Find some little pump-up and or comfort ritual that works for you.

And report back! We're pulling for you.

• Like 3

If a guy landing in the Hudson River is hailed as a hero, I think you'll be fine missing a few calls.   😉

I apologize in advance, as I have a dark sense of humor . . . but when I read you were nervous about the game I thought "totally normal."  When I read about your profession . . .  I was in tears, laughing so hard my wife had to come see what was wrong with me.  I can't imagine too many more things more stressful than that (maybe the guy in the tower).

Others have asked most of my questions, but I haven't seen these answered yet:

• How did you get into umpiring?
  • How did you get this game?
  • Who has been working with you (or, as it seems, NOT working with you)?

I came to it a bit later in life also, mainly due to waiting for my kids to outgrow their games.  There is nothing wrong with that, and I believe it actually gives you better perspective.   Hell, my first game, my shoes fell apart.  Literally left the sole of one behind when I was button-hooking in on a hit.  You'll do better than that.  😋

Like the gang has said, it gets better every time.  You just have to be willing to be patient with yourself.  As for stress and your personal situation, hopefully umpiring can become the stress relief from all that.  A couple of hours on the dirt, focused on a baseball game with the best seat in the house . . . leave the world behind for a bit.

Towards the end of my previous career, I had to spend a few weeks visiting customers at their homes so they could yell and scream at me.  Some damned engineer and his supervisor thought it would be a good idea to build a substation (electric) in the middle of their neighborhood.  Oh, and it wasn't even improving their service, it was to fed the pot plant on the edge of town.  Anyway, I was having lemonade with one old couple who were big baseball (Cubs) fans.  They started asking about me and how I ended up being the guy who had to come talk to them.  I told them about all the jobs that I have done where people scream and yell at me (I went from the call center, to collections, to public relations where people can yell at me in person!).  I told them that I was married and had four kids. 

The old man asked, "Well, what do you do to relax from all that?" 

I said, "I umpire."

"Something just ain't right with you," he laughed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Rover125 said:

1. New Jersey

2. No umpiring background other than read rule book and mechanics manual cover to cover. I also watch minor league umpires to study their mannerisms.

I was scheduled to work the game solo but they did add a base ump. So I have never umpired and my first game will be behind the plate without any official training. My mentor assigned to me has been great and talked me through scenarios. He also mentioned the scrimmages are more for getting the players up to speed and practice.

You and I are similar with Number 2. I played zero baseball growing up because I was afraid of the ball. I got into umpiring because I wanted to pay our local Little League back for my son's time learning the game and growing in it. After a few years of doing that, and a couple more doing American Legion and summer ball, I'm now doing high school (only my second year). I still feel like I'm brand new (and some on this board would say my posts look like it 🤪) and I'm learning something every time I go on to the field.

Starting out, I had a similar experience. I didn't get a whole lot of hands-on training, and most of my training was reading and watching video.

As others here have mentioned, you clearly want to perform well; that's a great thing. All of us on this board have worked with a partner that hasn't/won't/can't improve--and the more umpires we can get of your type is better than the alternative.

Good luck, and as my first UIC told me:  "don't suck. And if you do, do it consistently."

Attending minor league or college baseball games and observing the crews is really, really excellent. This is amongst the highest form of 2-man mechanics in The Game.

I saw several low-A ball games last summer and one question I had about their mechanics is when they have fly ball caught for an out or a routine force out that is not close, they signal the out by reaching straight up, making a fist and then coming down to head height. I haven't seen this at any other level. Why do they do this?

~Dawg

I guess, if you look at it, this is a SCRIMMAGE, so it's a practice game, so ... RELAX, that's what they are there to do, give YOU PRACTICE also.  That's probably why you were assigned to do this so you can jump in the water of a very shallow pool (WAY less stress).   

You'll be fine.  Will you mess up, YES, of course, but you will learn, and if you like the overall experience of actually being an umpire, well then ... GOD HELP YOU! :D 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

is when they have fly ball caught for an out or a routine force out that is not close, they signal the out by reaching straight up, making a fist and then coming down to head height. I haven't seen this at any other level.

There are several guys here on the U-E roster who are in, or have gone thru, the lower levels of Professional baseball. I can’t say who, and they can’t post, so I’ll reply for them… 

It signifies to their evaluator / supervisor (there’s one on every game they work) that they have that catch / no-catch responsibility (in the crew, on that play), and they have all the elements of a catch, and an Out. That they didn’t just “luck into it”. 

Check for it sometime. The fun ones are the fly balls where there’s R1 only, and a fly ball to F9, or R2 only, and a fly ball to F7. The BU is on the inside, but at some point, some undistinguished boundary is crossed, and the other umpire takes it. It could be as routine as ever… but only one umpire is going to make that catch mechanic. One. It’s a big post-game evaluation talking point if both (or neither!) umpires make that catch mechanic. While we amateurs can laugh it off, those guys can’t. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevis said:

I tell the teenagers I train for Little League--your first game will come at you quickly.  It'll seem like it's so much.  But your second, and your fifth, games will go even better.  Your fifteenth will go even better than that. (At some point they're not going to go better unless you keep putting the work in, but I digress.)

As others have said, you'll be raw because you are raw. Nothing wrong with that!  You got this brother.  If 13 year olds I struggle to keep on task can go out, not get hurt, and do a decent job for the level, I'm sure an airline pilot can.

Do you have a pump-up jam?  I first saw Hamilton right before my first state tournament; ever since I've adopted "My Shot" as my get-ready music.  Gets me in the "I belong here, and I'm about to show it" head space. Find some little pump-up and or comfort ritual that works for you.

And report back! We're pulling for you.

Hamilton is one heck of an educational musical.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, Rover125 said:

I have my first srimmage tomorrow. I am so stressed out about the game I have been wanting to resign from the association but I kept coming along just thinking I would get through it. I am wanting to just leave and cancel all my games but feel bad to do that. I haven't been sleeping good and the stress is getting to me and affecting my other high stress job. I am also going through a divorce that is loads of fun as you can imagine.

I am also worried about getting hurt. Broken bones or concussions are things the instructors were saying happens and sometimes are unavoidable. I did not realize the danger, as this can affect my medical clearance to work my primary job if I get a brain injury or something similar. Thinking I should just try the scrimmage tomorrow since I have gotten this far but cannot keep getting like this as I will get a heart attack. You guys expereince this?

I'm in my 30th year as an umpire and 29th as a college umpire. I still get nerves. I'm not afraid to say it. It happens to all of us.

• Like 3

Hey guys just got through it. For context, this was my first time ever umpiring and I was behind the plate with a nice more experienced guy on the bases. I’m not working with my assigned mentor until next week on a varsity scrimmage.

This was a high school freshman scrimmage, teams were decent. I also never got any work behind the plate in a batting cage or any other official training, but I managed through it. Hardest ball for me was a breaking ball at the knees. I set up in the slot and kept my head still, but I feel I could have been more consistent. Although I didn’t hear the coaches complain much. I’m unsure how much leeway to give these pitchers on the zone.

I have another scrimmage tomorrow and will be on the bases so a little less stress and a chance for me to work more on positioning and rotations. I definitely hustled, covered 3rd when I needed to, etc. today. I did forget to signal infield fly  once and a couple of other things.

If one wants to get “good”, I can already see the need to go to a professionally run clinic or pro school where they hammer you behind the plate. I only was able to read online or watch videos on YouTube, but one needs to be in the slot to really “get it”. Overall it was stressful, I thought it was somewhat fun lol. Here’s to tomorrow’s game 👍

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Rover125 said:

If one wants to get “good”, I can already see the need to go to a professionally run clinic or pro school where they hammer you behind the plate. I only was able to read online or watch videos on YouTube, but one needs to be in the slot to really “get it”. Overall it was stressful, I thought it was somewhat fun lol. Hear’s to tomorrow’s game 👍

Rover125.  Glad you made it through OK.  My advice:  Read this website daily.  There are some outstanding umpires here and you'll get plenty of good advice.  And, don't be afraid of asking questions.  Most mistakes by newer umpires are made because they haven't yet learned the correct procedure.

• Like 5

The best things that helped me when I started out...

As @BigBlue4u said, pay attention to this site. This site really helped make me a better umpire. I still read everything here (sometimes, especially during the thick of the season, I fall behind and don't catch up for weeks, but I still read everything).

Then I attended a clinic hosted by D1 (and mostly College World Series) umpires. Once you get out with those guys, you'll realize you don't know squat about umpiring. :laugh:

One of those D1 guys at the clinic is the primary guy behind https://ump-app.com/ - it's not free, but it's a high-quality umpire training tool. It didn't exist when I started, but I wish it had.

You've done the hardest part. Now get out there and keep at it! Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 5:18 PM, Rover125 said:

I bought solid equipment (Force3 Mask, chest protector, etc) and will try to look sharp.

Rover125, what color ball bags did you use? 

Also, I hear using Wilson products, have been proven, well maybe rumored, to lesson the stress of new umpires.  :stir

All joking aside, as you grow from anxious to excitement, whether it be with a new partner or on a new field or at a higher playing level or finally seeing the light on a rule that you won't quite understand until you experience it, it does become easier and more fun. Just wait until you get the feeling that someone is begging to leave the game early and you allow them to do so. Second guessing yourself on basic calls will be overcomed with experience.  It won't be in the second scrimmage but you will get there.

One thing I will say about this site as compared to other boards (i.e., Facebook), this is the best one I have found where you will experience patience with new comers, thoughtful answers, different opinions, respectful behavior, 'thicker' skins, and most importantly, correct answers.

Welcome to the Brotherhood!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1