Who takes the plate?

Depends on if you have worked together before, how many games you have that day, experience, level of game, etc. Lots of factors at play. If you all things are equal, let them take it, then it's yours next time y'all work together.

• Like 1

More often than not, I end up on the plate.  There are many plate-shirkers out there who are afraid of the attention that the plate receives and they want none of it.

I find doing the plate is more challenging (any slob can work bases - I'm kidding a bit here) and helps me to hone my craft and stay focused.  Side benefit, game goes by quicker. 

• Like 1

When I text or call my partner, we go over what field we are going to, what time the game is, who should call the AD in case of bad weather, what color shirt we will wear, and positioning. I typically ask if they want the plate or the field making it their choice. That usually results in me doing plate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NavyChiefBlue said:

Depends on if you have worked together before, how many games you have that day, experience, level of game, etc. Lots of factors at play. If you all things are equal, let them take it, then it's yours next time y'all work together.

Add -- whether I've had either team on the plate / bases recently -- I want the opposite today.

Sometimes it comes down to a coin flip.

• Like 3

In my market, it's up to the crew to decide upon arrival at the ballpark. Which is to say...the crew chief has final say. The one caveat is if you worked the plate or the bases for the same HS team and you are now working them a week or so later, you may want to take the opposite assignment than you worked them the previous game. But, this is not always possible...if someone on the crew has worked a bunch of plates in a row they may have been looking forward to a night off the plate. So, you mention what you've done and for whom over the previous couple of nights and ultimately, the crew chief decides.

One move I don't care for is a partner PRIOR to arrival who will say, I want to work this or I want to work that...ok, fine...it may end up that way but, it's a good idea to wait until everyone is at the ballpark before handing out assignments. If you say you're taking the plate prior to arrival and I get there first and dress for the bases as discussed and then you are late and I have to undress and dress for the plate...why do that to a partner? Get everyone there and then decide the assignments...

~Dawg

• Like 1

In my HS association, If you're paired up with a veteran partner, you know, the one with Navy shirts and faded heather gray pants that can't move a lick? He'll always take the plate because he's the "Senior guy" in the association. Then he'll proceed to camp out at home, use sub-standard mechanics, and act like the game is a campaign stop as if he's running for mayor.

If you're lucky enough to be paired with a good partner, the we usually discuss it. Depends on who wants it, who has done more plates recently, the schools playing (read this as which coach is an ass clown), etc. We amicably work it out.

I try to do about 50/50 on plates and bases throughout the season. Too many people only like to work plates, and when they get assigned a base, for instance in playoffs, you can really tell. And I don't mean for the better.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarsOmega said:

When I text or call my partner, we go over what field we are going to, what time the game is, who should call the AD in case of bad weather, what color shirt we will wear, and positioning. I typically ask if they want the plate or the field making it their choice. That usually results in me doing plate.

100% this.

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

More often than not, I end up on the plate.  There are many plate-shirkers out there who are afraid of the attention that the plate receives and they want none of it.

Full disclosure, I used to be a plate shirker. Now, however, I prefer first plate for a few reasons:  I'm not inheriting grumpy coaches because of the previous PU's bad zone, it gets me mentally into the game earlier, I can control the pace of the game, and coaches usually throw their better pitchers first.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JonnyCat said:

In my HS association, If you're paired up with a veteran partner, you know, the one with Navy shirts and faded heather gray pants that can't move a lick? He'll always take the plate because he's the "Senior guy" in the association. Then he'll proceed to camp out at home, use sub-standard mechanics, and act like the game is a campaign stop as if he's running for mayor.

So you and I have worked with some of the same people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I find doing the plate is more challenging (any slob can work bases - I'm kidding a bit here) and helps me to hone my craft and stay focused.  Side benefit, game goes by quicker. 

This is interesting, even though I know Keith is kidding, ... I honestly find the bases very challenging, I mean, if you're going to do it right, not chase the ball, be in the right position for most plays, watching the ball, trying to see ALL touches on every base (to assist my partner '3rd'), etc, etc ... PLUS, ... it's way easier to be surprised on the bases, IMHO.

I think it's all a balancing act, ...communicate w/ your partner a day or so before the game, make sure either one of you haven't had "team A" 3 times on the dish already, all the things that have been discussed.   Also, sometimes you have a partner who's "coming in hot" from a work meeting, long commute w/ potential traffic issues, etc ...  worse thing in the world is to be late and have to get ready super fast for a plate ....  for me, I need that relax time ahead.   Anyhow .... that's my .02

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I honestly find the bases very challenging,

Working the bases can definitely be very challenging. Yesterday, I was averaging about one bang-bang play to rule on each inning on the bases. Being in the right spot to have the right angle to make the right call is sometimes easier said than done, but it also feels good when you do it.

4 hours ago, 834k3r said:

I prefer first plate for a few reasons:  I'm not inheriting grumpy coaches because of the previous PU's bad zone, it gets me mentally into the game earlier, I can control the pace of the game, and coaches usually throw their better pitchers first.

make sure either one of you haven't had "team A" 3 times on the dish already, all the things that have been discussed.   Also, sometimes you have a partner who's "coming in hot" from a work meeting, long commute w/ potential traffic issues, etc

Like @834k3r, I prefer plate first in a doubleheader because I like to work the plate to be/stay proficient at it, I like to show I'm not a plate dodger, and teams here also seem to throw their better pitchers in game 1. The rule of thumb here for assignments without a specific position seems to be that whomever is listed first gets the plate. However, exceptions can sometimes be made for umpires who already had a game behind the plate for one of the teams, or someone with a significantly longer commute than anyone else assigned to the game.

• Like 1

A few things for me…

- If I don’t know my partner, I’ll take the plate. If I don’t know him, 99% of the time it means they have less experience (can look up on state association website)/less playoff experience. Experience isn’t everything, but postseason history can tell a fair amount. This will result in less of a chance of game that goes off the rails. Some of the worst games I’ve had on a field have been when I let someone I didn’t know take the plate…then regret it an inning in and I’m trying to manage a cluster from the bases. 

- I take the plate every chance I can get. As someone said above, bases is easier. Being good on the plate is where you make a name for yourself. It’s objectively the more important job. I also enjoy the challenge, staying locked in etc.

- IMO, if you know you’re the less experienced/heralded guy, and it’s not a situation where you are simply flipping from last time, read the room and defer to your partner. 

- If you’re claiming an injury requires you to take the plate, you’re too injured to work. Or, go work a one umpire underclass game. It’s not fair to force bases on your partner because you can’t run on a base hit. Which means you’ll stand at home the whole game, forget running to the 45’, coming out on fly balls (what if I go out?!), or rotating to 3rd base. 

- A coin flip with two partners of equal ability/history seems fine to me. 

This is interesting, even though I know Keith is kidding, ... I honestly find the bases very challenging, I mean, if you're going to do it right, not chase the ball, be in the right position for most plays, watching the ball, trying to see ALL touches on every base (to assist my partner '3rd'), etc, etc ... PLUS, ... it's way easier to be surprised on the bases, IMHO.

I think it's all a balancing act, ...communicate w/ your partner a day or so before the game, make sure either one of you haven't had "team A" 3 times on the dish already, all the things that have been discussed.   Also, sometimes you have a partner who's "coming in hot" from a work meeting, long commute w/ potential traffic issues, etc ...  worse thing in the world is to be late and have to get ready super fast for a plate ....  for me, I need that relax time ahead.   Anyhow .... that's my .02

In my third year now. I was asked this the other day and I summed it up like this:  I think plate is harder to be good at but bases are more difficult to be really great at. I just feel the movement and positioning and weird plays that seemingly come out of nowhere are more challenging. The plate is a bit more predictable in a sense. However, plate is more important for game management and has the higher probability of causing a ruckus if not executed competently. 

Perhaps my perspective will change after a couple more years, idk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"You make your reputation behind the plate, and you lose it on the bases."

I believe they are equally challenging positions if executed properly.  Never underestimate the bases.  Folks can accept a few missed pitches, but they never accept a missed call on the bases.  There are many calls (two hundred or more) behind the plate in a game, but only a few on the bases.  Missed base calls get everyone's attention.

That said, I'm taking the plate when offered my choice, if for nothing else than the game management issue noted previously.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JonnyCat said:

Suddenly, the red, white, and blue motif makes sense . . . 

• Haha 2

I am another who thought the plate was much easier to learn than the bases.  You might screw up more often on the plate, but you'll screw up far worse on the bases.  When I was new, I may have seemed as if I was "dodging" plates, but the reality was I needed more practice and experience on the bases.

As for the OP question, I reach out the day before and check.  Most of our assignors have gone to Ar(gh)bittter, so they list a plate/base assignment, but usually don't care.  Sometimes they may contact us and say "Need you to do the plate because (new guy, bad guy, arriving late, etc.)." 

For example, where I am at tomorrow, I cannot get there until 10-15 minutes before game time.  I hate it, but they ask for me and they know it (and they pay exceptionally well or I would say send somebody else).  I will rarely work plates there (again, I don't mind, but we will start late).  However, I still double-check with my partner to make sure.

Beyond that, I keep my text messages and try to alternate. Even if I haven't worked with somebody since last year, I probably can still find what we did last time.

I rarely have a strong preference, so I will defer if my partner does have a preference.  Took the plate tonight with a new partner because he said he had been on 5 straight plates.  That just ain't right.

The only two preferences I do have are for more than two games.  In a 3-ump crew on 3 games, I want the first or the last.  I just hate changing twice.  Four or more games, I prefer to go with 2-game slots (fewer changes) and I'd rather take the first plates.  I get stiffer as the day goes on, so I prefer to be moving around more later.

• Like 1

Our association works on the basic principles of who had what the previous time you were partnered. Then other factors, as mentioned in other posts, are considered.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 9:51 AM, JonnyCat said:

In my HS association, If you're paired up with a veteran partner, you know, the one with Navy shirts and faded heather gray pants

Back in Wisconsin, you couldn’t escape “this guy”, even if you willingly took – and were already geared up for – plate! The anecdote is that “plate guy chooses shirt”, right? 
:shakehead: 

Nope, not with “this guy”. In one infamous example, I was standing there, fully geared up, ready to finish the ensemble with an umpire shirt (of which, at the time, I had at least 12 different colors/styles) when my BU partner rolled in, parked next to me, got out, made his greeting, “Hrrmph”, and when asked, “Which color ya want me to throw on, Bob?”, replied with, by pulling the faded, salt-encrusted navy shirt out of his trunk, “Navy’s all ya need!”… and started heading to the field!!! 

On 5/1/2024 at 9:51 AM, JonnyCat said:

He'll always take the plate because he's the "Senior guy" in the association. Then he'll proceed to camp out at home, use sub-standard mechanics, and act like the game is a campaign stop as if he's running for mayor.

This is a direct correlation to the “UIC = PU = god” deification “rule” that NFHS has codified into (their) The Rules. They’ll take PU because they love the power trip they embark on. “My game, my field, growl snarl growl…” They can’t cite or apply a single substantive rule, save the one that enshrines that “UIC’s rulings are final” [paraphrased]. Early in my career, I would be paired with these guys, and it forced me to investigate every positional responsibility, on every play & situation, and be flexible so as to “cover or defer” (explain later). Later in my career, I was purposely paired with these guys, and put on as a BU, expressly to counter-balance their deficiencies. 

These particular pairings have gotten fewer and rarer… but they do still happen once in a… (oh man, the pun!)… blue moon. 🌙 

On 5/1/2024 at 9:17 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

If you say you're taking the plate prior to arrival and I get there first and dress for the bases as discussed and then you are late and I have to undress and dress for the plate...why do that to a partner? 

Ever think this might by design or intention? 🤔 #BlueConspiracies #DogTraining (sorry, couldn’t help it) 

On 5/1/2024 at 8:28 PM, NavyBlue said:

That said, I'm taking the plate when offered my choice, if for nothing else than the game management issue noted previously.

Here in Arizona, amongst us Vultures (and Friends-of-Vultures), it’s entirely “by feel”. “How ya feelin’ today?” brings an honest answer and assessment. We all know and trust each others’ game management and abilities, almost implicitly. 

That being said, assigners know this, and will often pair Vultures with either rookies / newbies or “known qualities”, so as to either evaluate & train, or counter-balance said “qualities”. 

One of my fellow Vultures is known to carry a notebook, recording each time he works with a partner, and what the roles were. He holds guys to it! But, of course, he puts the book away for fellow Vultures. 

On 5/1/2024 at 1:59 PM, Thatsnotyou said:

If you’re claiming an injury requires you to take the plate, you’re too injured to work. Or, go work a one umpire underclass game. It’s not fair to force bases on your partner because you can’t run on a base hit. Which means you’ll stand at home the whole game, forget running to the 45’, coming out on fly balls (what if I go out?!), or rotating to 3rd base. 

We do have “desert / tournament / tournament-in-the-desert mechanics”, wherein some guys will willingly take plate – either in a one-game “hell stab” or on a 2- to 3- game plate-siege – with the understanding that he won’t be moving much outside of the plate dirt circle. Of course, these aren’t used on sanctioned NFHS, College, or pro games, but I’d be lying if I said we don’t (both U’s) utilize this arrangement on amateur games… when it’s 93° and ↑, or if one umpire has an injury. We get it (down here)… we all need the 💰

On 5/1/2024 at 2:45 PM, RBIbaseball said:

The plate is a bit more predictable in a sense.

Unless my boss has a fixed, specific role assignment, or it’s “my turn”, I usually favor this: 

• If it’s a guy I don’t know, I’ll take Plate because I know and can control the pace of how this game will unfold. 
  • If it’s a guy I do know, I’ll take Bases because I really get a chance to “stretch my legs” and move. 

If doing a multi-game day, I heavily prefer the last game(s) of the day on plate. I can usually “mask” (ha!) the exhaustion, and just focus on the corridor of space between mound & plate circle. I won’t ignore or abort a rotation, but they sure do happen less often than moving about on base, in that context. 

On 5/1/2024 at 10:15 PM, The Man in Blue said:

Took the plate tonight with a new partner because he said he had been on 5 straight plates.  That just ain't right.

When partnered with a rookie / newbie, I always dangle the question, “No wrong answer here, which role would you like to do?”, and without fail, the rookie / newbie will light up and reply, “You mean I can work bases??! Oh wow! _X_ number of games, and I haven’t worked bases yet!”

… and I know why that is. ‘Cuz all my colleagues see “rookie”, claim seniority, or claim that they’ve been doing nothing but plates, too, and stick the new guy at plate so they can have a “day off” on the bases. 🤨

• Like 5

If I am listed first, I take the lead on communication with the school and my partner/s. I will ask the crew if they have any preferences on positions. If not, I will likely take the plate. 

47 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

If not, I will likely take the plate. 

Oh, you saucy plut, you. 🥴

… 

… 

Yes, I spelled it very carefully. 

• Haha 1