Crew Signals

Moe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3929 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was hoping I could get some crew signals. I have a few basic ones, but I would like some more.

All I know now is:

Infield fly situation: Hand to the chest with the right hand or finger to the brim of the cap.

Time Play: Hands out to the side with two fingers out.

"I've got third": Right thumb and pinky extended waving back and forth.

Anything?

Thanks

I was hoping I could get some crew signals. I have a few basic ones, but I would like some more.

All I know now is:

Infield fly situation: Hand to the chest with the right hand or finger to the brim of the cap.

Time Play: Hands out to the side with two fingers out.

"I've got third": Right thumb and pinky extended waving back and forth.

Anything?

Thanks

Where I'm from, the bolded signal means "I effed the rotation, so the first round is on me."

Time play - Hold left arm bent in front of you, palm facing in.  With the right hand take two fingers (like the peace sign) and tap them on your left wrist (where your watch would normally be).

Signals are different everywhere.

Concur. Grayhawk has the proper signal. Use that one.

For the "I've got third" I use a couple of different ones. I tap my chest and point towards third to let my partner know I am heading there. Or I take my right hand and kind of sweep it towards third to let him know I am rotating that way.

Some may be different, but those are what I have seen and used.

Palm down on your left shoulder tells your partner theres a milf over his right shoulder ;). If followed by peace sign pointing down and "walking" your fingers, then pointing....she's walking thattta way

• Like 1

In my area:

One finger to the brim for IFF

RH in front of your body, pointing to third with the number of fingers means you have third on a first to third

Your LH in a fist in front of your body, RH in a fist on top with index finger extended toward third means you have third if R2 tags with R1,R2

Rotating your index fingers horizontally means you lost the count

Two fingers of your RH tapping your left wrist is a time play

Wiping your left arm means IFF is off

Showing the outs to the side and pointing down means you are staying home

The BU's response to all these signals is a head nod. 

I was hoping I could get some crew signals. I have a few basic ones, but I would like some more. All I know now is: Infield fly situation: Hand to the chest with the right hand or finger to the brim of the cap. Time Play: Hands out to the side with two fingers out. "I've got third": Right thumb and pinky extended waving back and forth. Anything? Thanks
Forget those signals and learn from the advice you've been given. Oh and please don't use the pinky!

I'm okay with a head nod from someone I'm familiar with, but most of the time, BU should mirror the signal showing what's he's going to do (pointing to first after you point to third, for example).

I agree, I just prefer not to stand in the middle of the infield looking like a lifeguard at the beach. 

@Moe , a big thing you can take from this is to always pregame with your partner as to what signals you're going to use... You guys could get all confused with all these signals unless you talk beforehand... One interesting thing I found about CDP were all the different signals that the different umpires from around the country used.

My crew's will use these 99 times out of 100... 

- Fist to the brim of the cap means IFF, no outs

- Index finger to the brim of the cap means IFF, one out

- Two fingers to the opposite wrist means time play

- Fist or fingers pointing towards third means PU has third (number of fingers is outs)

- Fist, one finger on both hands or two fingers on both hands held to the side indicates outs if one of us is double checking

- "Sweeping" motion with hand on forearm means the last signal is off now, OR in an IFF situation with two outs that IFF is NOT in effect.

- Palm tapping the chest means "Sorry, I f'd up" on a rotation

That's it I think.

One I've never had to use but know is that in a heated situation with a manager confrontation, if I put my hands behind my back and take a small step back while the manager is started to get more and more agitated, my partner should start walking towards us, because an ejection could be coming momentarily, making him rodeo clown.

If only someone would invent a tool that would search the internet then we could just type in something like "baseball umpire signals to each other" and we might get results like:

www.sacumpires.com/files/D54_Basic_2man_Umpire_Manual.pdf

www.southtexasumpire.com/articles/Umpire%20Communications.pdf‎

I will see what I can come up with. If I do I will call it Roogle!

• Like 2