Most unique / strangest field you’ve ever worked?

The Man in Blue

• 1 month later...

I worked a few times at a freshman field in Alamo, CA that had a big tree in right field with its own ground rule. And as if that wasn't enough, it had a streamlet running behind the third base dugout. We would lose at least a dozen balls a game to the water.

There's a field at Sacramento State that is right next to Highway 50. it's the noisiest field I ever worked.

There's a PAL field in San Jose that is under an elevated freeway. It was weird and noisy.

There's a field in San Mateo right next to train tracks with trains coming by frequently.

There's a high school field in Piedmont that is very hard to get to. The campus is terraced with the diamond at the lowest level.  You have to walk quite a way to get to it. Yet it is a beautiful field with trees all along left field.

I've not worked on odd colored fields, but have a couple that are interesting to be on...

Field 1:

4qDnhtR.png

235' to the right field pole. Huge (40'?) fence there. Lights poles are inside the fence. Foul balls onto the busy(-ish ... it's Kansas) highway are the norm.

Field 2:

yjCxtv4.png

Also 235' to the right field pole, but this one is only 277' to dead center. A legion team plays there, and they have fun with it... when a home run is hit, I routinely hear "That was a good 278!" And you can't tell from the overhead shot, but it slopes down from the plate toward center field as well. The elevation at the center field fence is probably 5' lower than the plate.

3 hours ago, kylehutson said:

I've not worked on odd colored fields, but have a couple that are interesting to be on...

Field 1:

4qDnhtR.png

235' to the right field pole. Huge (40'?) fence there. Lights poles are inside the fence. Foul balls onto the busy(-ish ... it's Kansas) highway are the norm.

Field 2:

yjCxtv4.png

Also 235' to the right field pole, but this one is only 277' to dead center. A legion team plays there, and they have fun with it... when a home run is hit, I routinely hear "That was a good 278!" And you can't tell from the overhead shot, but it slopes down from the plate toward center field as well. The elevation at the center field fence is probably 5' lower than the plate.

Not your typical cookie cutter designs. 

On 9/20/2023 at 1:31 AM, Senor Azul said:

There's a PAL field in San Jose that is under an elevated freeway. It was weird and noisy.

Not only under an elevated overpass but in the corner of two major freeways! I spent many a day as a parent at that field.

11 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

TRAVEL ball?!  Back in my day we played GRAVEL ball!!

Ha. Yes. In Seattle we had some crushed cinder block fields - no grass. Two fields opposite each other on a large rectangle with no OF fence. No need to elevate the ball. Hit a worm burner hard enough and it was a HR.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glover field in Anaheim where we lose tons of foul balls to La Palma Ave, which is a major street. Right center is roughly 420 where right field is 320ish.

The park next to the field was a homeless encampment for a long time. Watched a guy stab another guy while walking into the stadium for a same 7-8 years ago; totally wild.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 090210.jpg

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Glover field in Anaheim where we lose tons of foul balls to La Palma Ave, which is a major street. Right center is roughly 420 where right field is 320ish.

The park next to the field was a homeless encampment for a long time. Watched a guy stab another guy while walking into the stadium for a same 7-8 years ago; totally wild.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 090210.jpg

Guess he must have rung the other guy's kid up on an outside curveball?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've got one near and dear to my heart. I've never worked on this field, so I'm cheating, but it was my home field (half the time) in high school, and the home of the RBI program here in KC. Despite the... *Slightly* short (and very, very tall, how's that for a literary oximoron) right field fence, it was a joy to play there. The two guys that kept that place poured their hearts and souls into it. They weren't working with the most funding, but somehow the edging was always perfect, and you really felt like a big leaguer. They both have retired, so I don't know what shape it's in now, but I live this place. 

Screenshot_20231111_225118_Maps.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

In both cases, @Richvee, those are incredible examples of out-of-box thinking & design. The roof?! Really?! 

But in both cases, why’d they ruin a perfectly good baseball field with a football gridiron?? 

Football’s 🏈 stoopid. :fuel:

The first one I posted has so many intersecting lines ( not to mention white end zone letters) on the LF foul line, a line drive/ fly ball landing in the right spot is 100% a guess. 

• Sad 1