Guest Matt

Sunglasses not worn on field

Question

Guest Matt

Are infielders (shortstop) allowed to wear mirrored sunglasses on their hat during play? Couldn't it be justified as a distraction to a left-handed batter?

23 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Well thank you for that I shall now ignore my feelings of safety over looks.

This goes along well with my feelings for the "Shall be ejected"  thing as to what LL did by ignoring the rule they had in the book.

Thank you for being a fan of LL baseball.

30 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

It's not in the rules... PERIOD.   DON'T MAKE $4IT UP ...... How many times do you have to be told?

over and over....

power rangers idk GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

No THIS IS WHAT I SAID  

Furthermore how am I making it up if I was told this by other more Sr and UIC  umpires in my district as I asked them what their feelings were on it and I used the older more Sr. guys as a sounding board and I agreed with it, especially after seeing the 11 year old take one to the face.

But hey I now see where someone has pointed out LL's website states that.  Perfect I'm good with it now safety be damned.  You want me to go back and edit out all the posts I made how this is how we did it?  because apparently we were wrong.  Or should you just accept the fact I accepted the fact I was F-ing wrong and leave it at that?  Or shall we just stop caps locking each other about it hmmmm?

Always remember .... just because some Sr umpire told you something, it doesn't make it right! ;) Research all the rules for yourself and do your own studying.

I know you're hear to learn, so stop being "Mr. yeah, but...." ok?  Read, and learn and take it in, and ask questions, that's what it's all about, but you keep insisting things after you've been told the answer and it's getting frustrating.  The CAPS were because you're not listening.

Leave your answers so others can learn.

And, to reiterate your scenario where anyone takes off their glasses unless it's a storm cloud ..... again, come on .... that's just silly.

24 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Furthermore how am I making it up if I was told this by other more Sr and UIC  umpires in my district as I asked them what their feelings were on it and I used the older more Sr. guys as a sounding board and I agreed with it, especially after seeing the 11 year old take one to the face.

maybe ask about the rules understanding and not their feelings?

facts don't care about feelings

I mean...day goes from cloudy to sunny, kid didn't have his sunglasses because they were on the bench instead of his hat, loses the fly ball and it smashes him in the nose.  So in which way was safety damned, again?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

image.png

ACTUALLY:  ArchAngel72 said the quoted, not me :D 

yea, the system defaulted the quote to you , I didn't notice that when I was making the post

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, stkjock said:

maybe ask about the rules understanding and not their feelings?

facts don't care about feelings

Since you edited yours I edited mine to reflect the proper questioning I asked them.  Smart azz....

22 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Since you edited yours I edited mine to reflect the proper questioning I asked them.  Smart azz....

Relax ............

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

So since you feel I am making $4it up  let me tell you about a game that I was on 3BU  and a kid with sunglasses on his hat had a towering fly ball to right he misplayed it and it smashed his face.  Yup that happened in the D1 final 11 yr olds this year.

So why am I being that guy if I am merely concerned about safety with kids?

But hey nothing ever happened that should warrant such feelings.

Just trying to picture this...The sunglasses on his cap caused him to whiff on the catch how??? :HS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

So since you feel I am making $4it up  let me tell you about a game that I was on 3BU  and a kid with sunglasses on his hat had a towering fly ball to right he misplayed it and it smashed his face.  Yup that happened in the D1 final 11 yr olds this year.

I don't follow this. How did wearing his sunglasses on his hat affect his ability to play the ball? Are you suggesting that, if he had left his sunglasses in the dugout, this would not have happened?

21 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Relax ............

Don't do it, when you wanna go to it

15 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Just trying to picture this...The sunglasses on his cap caused him to whiff on the catch how??? :HS

Just now, LRZ said:

I don't follow this. How did wearing his sunglasses on his hat affect his ability to play the ball? Are you suggesting that, if he had left his sunglasses in the dugout, this would not have happened?

I was way out on 3rd base and this was the right fielder.  I saw the fact his sunglasses were on the field after he fell to the ground flopping like a fish out of water.  I can only summarize I cannot say clearly that the sunglasses falling off the back of his head made him misplay the ball. BUT I can say they were there and he misplayed the ball.  

My thoughts are if they did cause him to lose concentration on the ball and that's how he took it to the face than yes its a safety concern.  I did not question him, but I did think after Hmm I wonder if that's what happened and based on that I feel its a possible safety concern as its a possible distraction if they go loose and flop off the back of the hat while they are looking up. 

Thus if they were never there then his misplay would be all on him without the possible distraction. Again I am basing this on LL play not baberuth or highschool or older.

I mean heck we have coaches who wont put out 10 yr olds to catch because they are afraid the kid could hurt himself as they have not caught before.  Whats the harm in telling a kid wear your glasses or take them off or put them in your back pocket ? 

9 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I mean heck we have coaches who wont put out 10 yr olds to catch because they are afraid the kid could hurt himself as they have not caught before.  Whats the harm in telling a kid wear your glasses or take them off or put them in your back pocket ? 

Keep up the strawman arguments. It will do well in your advancement.

• Like 1

In my profession, your uncertainty would elicit this: "Objection, judge, calls for speculation." Too tenuous a connection.

• Haha 1

You guys are missing out on the all important style points the kids get for wearing them on their hats! Especially during night games

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Keep up the strawman arguments. It will do well in your advancement.

? Advancement?

where am I going with a volunteer status volunteering for more? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I can only summarize I cannot say clearly that the sunglasses falling off the back of his head made him misplay the ball. BUT I can say they were there and he misplayed the ball.  

Correlation does not imply causation.

4 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

So why am I being that guy if I am merely concerned about safety with kids?

But hey nothing ever happened that should warrant such feelings.

And the glasses caused it?  I mean I misplayed fly balls and took a few in the face and I never wore sunglasses.  How about not being that guy and sucking the fun out of a game.

I’d like to have further discussion of something Mr. Thunderheads stated earlier in this thread, “Here's the point .... IF IT'S NOT IN THE BOOK AS ILLEGAL ............. then ..........it's legal ... period.” No one took issue with it so I am assuming that everyone agrees with it. Well, let me be the first to disagree with that.

An example can be taken from a question posed on this site some time back about whether a batter could try to initiate catcher interference by intentionally stepping back before swinging at the pitch. The resident experts here stated categorically that since there was no rule prohibiting it that it must therefore be legal. I posted an interpretation from the BRD that proved a batter could not do that even though there is nothing in the rule book about it.

So, keeping that example in mind, I pose a couple of questions based on OBR for MLB players for your consideration. First, can a player wear white wrist bands? Second, can a base runner ask for time to change shoes? I am pretty sure the answers are not in the rule book.

And, yes, I am trying to change the subject a bit and stop the dog piling on Mr. ArchAngel72.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yawetag said:

He's been told this multiple times in multiple threads. I'm beginning to think it's his M.O. I was the same way when I started - I just learned fairly quickly that being a contrarian just for the sake of being a contrarian won't get you anywhere.

Yes it will.  :stir

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Furthermore how am I making it up if I was told this by other more Sr and UIC  umpires in my district as I asked them what the rules were on it and I used the older more Sr. guys as a sounding board and I agreed with it, especially after seeing the 11 year old take one to the face.

Can I point point out that ^ as a major problem in the game today.  Just like this discussion is a major problem in the game today.  In short, it is great to get advice from other umpires around you.  Another good resource is great discussions on the philosophy of the game and application of the rules like we do on here ... but the problem is that too many guys and gals stop there.  Do NOT take any of this as gospel.  Open up the rule book and read it.  Learn how to read it, then make your interpretation and try to defend it (right or wrong).

That’s not a shot at you ArchAngel, as I believe there are senior members of the forum that fall into this trap as well.  I have and I am trying to get better about not doing that.

As for the question at hand ... it is not illegal in any code that I am aware of.  However, if it is appropriate, then BE THAT UMPIRE.  You have the authority to take care of a safety concern.  That said, I don’t think I would flat out say “you can’t wear those on top of your head” unless there was a specific reason, such as they are mirrored and are reflecting back at the hitter and me (which would be unusually rare) or they are constantly falling off a kid’s head and distracting him.  Even at that, I’m saying “hey coach, here’s what I’m seeing” and letting him take care of it.

I understand what you are saying about them being an “accessory” if not being worn properly, but calling them jewelry is an awfully liberal interpretation of jewelry.  Still, the rule book does not define jewelry.

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

I’d like to have further discussion of something Mr. Thunderheads stated earlier in this thread, “Here's the point .... IF IT'S NOT IN THE BOOK AS ILLEGAL ............. then ..........it's legal ... period.” No one took issue with it so I am assuming that everyone agrees with it. Well, let me be the first to disagree with that.

An example can be taken from a question posed on this site some time back about whether a batter could try to initiate catcher interference by intentionally stepping back before swinging at the pitch. The resident experts here stated categorically that since there was no rule prohibiting it that it must therefore be legal. I posted an interpretation from the BRD that proved a batter could not do that even though there is nothing in the rule book about it.

So, keeping that example in mind, I pose a couple of questions based on OBR for MLB players for your consideration. First, can a player wear white wrist bands? Second, can a base runner ask for time to change shoes? I am pretty sure the answers are not in the rule book.

And, yes, I am trying to change the subject a bit and stop the dog piling on Mr. ArchAngel72.

You beat me to it Azul ... I think the hyperbolic example I gave the last time is that there is no rule saying you can’t punch the pitcher in the face.  Legal?  (Hint: the answer starts with “n” and ends with “o”.)

Second, can a base runner ask for time to change shoes?

2018 MiLBUM 

3.6 Playets shall not wear shoes with pointed spikes similar to golf or track shoes. Players may not call time to change shoes upon becoming a baserunner. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Put them on your face and wear them throughout the day until you feel you do not need them. I have personally never seen a day where it is in and out of clouds where anyone takes the glasses off unless a storm cloud came over that was so dark it stopped the game due to lightning anyway.

Players used to wear flip-ups so they could use/not use them as they saw fit. Or if their focal point switched from a dark background to a bright sky. 

Get over yourself - they're legal.