Best Indicator on the market?

UMPCourse
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2652 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

30 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Why do we need innings when they are on the scoreboard in upper level games and what's on your indicator doesn't mean squat in a lower level game. I just ask the HT SC for score and inning after what I think is 3. If you are in one of those tournaments where you fill in the card the innings take care of themselves unless you fell asleep after 2 123 innings.

I use the innings for runs per inning. Certainly not necessary, but for most games, even if I do not have to keep lineups, I'll keep a scorecard. Comes in handy for those tournaments like you mention when you need to hand in a scorecard/pitcher record after each game. If I have a working scoreboard, or I'm not keeping a scorecard for whatever reason, then it's easy enough to not use the innings dial. It's still the best indicator on the market for my money.  

• Like 2

Wow didn't know indicators could be such a hot topic. My personal favorite is the Rawlings indicator. It's strike-ball and it goes to 4-3-3 and has an innings indicator which I also use for the score. Is it kind of cheap? Yeah but I love it because it's what I used when I started working games when I was 12 and I haven't gotten used to another one. 

3 hours ago, LittleBlue said:

Yeah but I love it because it's what I used when I started working games when I was 12 and I haven't gotten used to another one. 

There's a lot to be said about that.

I held a deathgrip on my old electronic Honig's, long after the Whirlpool washer/dryer sent the working parts to heaven. It just felt right, as no other indicator did. I'll admit it did take some time to get to know the slim Mizuno, but now everything else feels wrong and clunky.

So, no matter what anyone says, the best indicator is the one you like best. And that goes for a lot of things.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2016 at 11:58 AM, Scott Kennedy said:

@BT_Blue If I can offer some insight on some gear and apparel, I'm more than happy to help.

As you can see, I like the indicator that also happens to be less cost to the umpire. However, my "insight" tells you that a lot of MiLB guys that come into the store like the indicator that is higher priced. I'm here to help.....not sell. 

Thanks for allowing me to join the group.

ball on top--or strike on top--for your favorite?

Nothing better than that old 4/3/3 when your thumb is pulling down on that top wheel all day long and your middle or ring finger is pulling on that bottom wheel all day long.

Do they make any strike on top 4/3/3/ or a 3/2/2 without the middle wheel?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Nothing better than that old 4/3/3 when your thumb is pulling down on that top wheel all day long and your middle or ring finger is pulling on that bottom wheel all day long.

Think he said on his video blog for UA that he uses the Markwort 3/2/2 indicator. But I can't remember.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 10:06 AM, grayhawk said:

"Best" is personal opinion.  It depends on what you like.  Do you want an indicator that includes innings?  Do you want the strike wheel on your thumb or on your index finger?  4 balls and 3 strikes or 3 balls and 2 strikes?  Plastic is lighter and cheaper.  Metal is heavier and more durable.  Do you want it notched?  And then there's the Japanese indicators which are completely different.  My personal favorite is the All Star die cast metal indicator that is pre-notched at every number with only 3 balls and 2 strikes:

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Indicators/UC5-BC_All-Star-4-Dial-Die-Cast-Metal-Umpire-Indicator-322-Count

I second (or third, or ...) the All-Star. Matter of fact, if you click that link, you'll see the review I entered at UA - again assuming you like 3-2, with strikes on the thumb.

I work a lot of games where I'm expected to keep the count when on the bases, and having the notched indicator so I can "feel" the count, rather than see it means I can always know the count without having to take my eyes off the action.

• Like 1

Just now, kylehutson said:

I second (or third, or ...) the All-Star. Matter of fact, if you click that link, you'll see the review I entered at UA - again assuming you like 3-2, with strikes on the thumb.

I work a lot of games where I'm expected to keep the count when on the bases, and having the notched indicator so I can "feel" the count, rather than see it means I can always know the count without having to take my eyes off the action.

Oh crap.  Now you've done it...  :GL:

• Like 1

Just now, grayhawk said:

Oh crap.  Now you've done it...  :GL:

Yeah, I know. But I figure I'm probably not alone. If you've got to do it, a notched indi-clicki-counter* is the way to go.

*Just in case I haven't triggered enough people with my first post.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Yeah, I know. But I figure I'm probably not alone. If you've got to do it, a notched indi-clicki-counter* is the way to go.

Maybe we need an umpire safe space for the millennials among us...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Some people just wanna watch the world burn.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2016 at 11:58 PM, BT_Blue said:

Next time they come in. It would be an interesting bit of information to have.

Don't look at me. I always thought the inning wheel was a silly idea.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:47 PM, dumbdumb said:

Ball on top, strike in the middle & outs at the bottom. No inning wheel for me. I prefer the over-sized plastic Markwort indicator.

I like to keep my sequence in order for when I announce or show the count; therefore, I don't see me switching to the indicator that has the strikes on top. That's just my personal opinion.

like others have said ...."best" is a personal preference .......this is what I use because, well, ....that's what I started with :) 

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Indicators/A048P_Champro-Balls-First-4-Dial-Optic-Yellow-Umpire-Indicator-322-Count

• Like 1

I love my ancient stainless Markwort that I stole from the UIC. Can't seem to find another one as heavy and nicely built. I've ordered a few Markworts and a few other brands but the oldie is still the best. I love it so much it has its own case in my trunk and if anything happens to it I'll have hubs do his metal magic on it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Tksjewelry said:

I love my ancient stainless Markwort that I stole from the UIC. Can't seem to find another one as heavy and nicely built. I've ordered a few Markworts and a few other brands but the oldie is still the best. I love it so much it has its own case in my trunk and if anything happens to it I'll have hubs do his metal magic on it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Totally understand, I have a circa 2000 +POS metal notched, 3/2/2 w/ innings indicator. It's dirty, scratched, but I can pick up where I'm at (after a couple games since a 14-year layoff) and be right most of the time, and the wheels rotate well, so no real reason to upgrade it.

• 2 weeks later...
On November 12, 2016 at 3:20 AM, udbrky said:

Totally understand, I have a circa 2000 +POS metal notched, 3/2/2 w/ innings indicator. It's dirty, scratched, but I can pick up where I'm at (after a couple games since a 14-year layoff) and be right most of the time, and the wheels rotate well, so no real reason to upgrade it.

LOL...I thought I was the only one with one of these +Pos 2000. It was nice and heavy compared to today's model. I now use the same configuration 3/2/2...always thought Ball 4 / Strike 3 was dumb...I don't need the innings either...most places I work have scoreboards....I like the lime green - black numbers, especially for night game. I have tried them all but this style works best for me. It's all personal preference and what you get use to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre Morgan said:

LOL...I thought I was the only one with one of these +Pos 2000. It was nice and heavy compared to today's model. I now use the same configuration 3/2/2...always thought Ball 4 / Strike 3 was dumb...I don't need the innings either...most places I work have scoreboards....I like the lime green - black numbers, especially for night game. I have tried them all but this style works best for me. It's all personal preference and what you get use to.

Thanks for the review, I was thinking about getting what I think is the one you're describing and using this as a backup.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:47 PM, dumbdumb said:

There are several here.

We try to make shopping for indicators easy right off the indicator category page. If it doesn't mention "Balls-First" in the title, then it's strike first. You can also see the count, such as 4/3/3 or 3/2/2, before clicking over to the specific product.
https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Indicators

On 11/10/2016 at 10:55 AM, Thunderheads said:

like others have said ...."best" is a personal preference .......this is what I use because, well, ....that's what I started with :) 

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Indicators/A048P_Champro-Balls-First-4-Dial-Optic-Yellow-Umpire-Indicator-322-Count

Our top selling indicator. Smart man!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 4:10 PM, JimKirk said:

There are several here.

We try to make shopping for indicators easy right off the indicator category page. If it doesn't mention "Balls-First" in the title, then it's strike first. You can also see the count, such as 4/3/3 or 3/2/2, before clicking over to the specific product.
https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Bags-Tools/Indicators

Do you have an indicator with just 2 wheels on the left hand side at the top and middle of the indicator and 1 wheel on the right hand side at the bottom, with just the number 3 for all the the clicks on the strike wheel at top--just the number 0 for all the clicks on the ball wheel in the middle-- and just the number 3 for all the clicks on the out wheel at the bottom?

Thank you.

dd

The best indicator available is the one between your ears. And yes, you can train it.

That being said, I think blind people have a leg up on us umpires. I am shocked that all these indicators being trotted out in front of us rely almost exclusively on analog, visual symbols (ie. numbers). I for one trained myself off of indicators because I observed fellow umpires holding indicators out in front of themselves like tricoders on Star Trek, or looking down at them constantly. Why not an indicator with raised bumps on it, Braille-style, so we can place a fingertip upon it and feel what the count is?

Besides that, in today's digital / electronic / app craze, why someone hasn't trotted out even a prototype electronic indicator yet is beyond me. If the day comes that "RoboUmp" really does replace one of us behind the plate, we'll know we still have one last gasping ace up our sleeve – we'll insist that RoboUmp has to be shown how to use a conventional indicator.

• Like 1

We have an umpire in my area that has done the same. If it wasn't for the fact that he has been told by higher ups that he need to have an indicator on him while working the dish, he wouldn't carry one.

Also... he didn't like any indicators on the market. So he made his own. Looks a lot like the Japanese square ones. 

7 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Do you have an indicator with just 2 wheels on the left hand side at the top and middle of the indicator and 1 wheel on the right hand side at the bottom, with just the number 3 for all the the clicks on the strike wheel at top--just the number 0 for all the clicks on the ball wheel in the middle-- and just the number 3 for all the clicks on the out wheel at the bottom?

Thank you.

dd

Not sure I follow completely but we have just about every type out there that you can still get in the U.S. Go through the page and see if we do. If you don't see, I'm sorry but we don't have it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MadMax said:

The best indicator available is the one between your ears. And yes, you can train it.

That being said, I think blind people have a leg up on us umpires. I am shocked that all these indicators being trotted out in front of us rely almost exclusively on analog, visual symbols (ie. numbers). I for one trained myself off of indicators because I observed fellow umpires holding indicators out in front of themselves like tricoders on Star Trek, or looking down at them constantly. Why not an indicator with raised bumps on it, Braille-style, so we can place a fingertip upon it and feel what the count is?

Besides that, in today's digital / electronic / app craze, why someone hasn't trotted out even a prototype electronic indicator yet is beyond me. If the day comes that "RoboUmp" really does replace one of us behind the plate, we'll know we still have one last gasping ace up our sleeve – we'll insist that RoboUmp has to be shown how to use a conventional indicator.

Nice cultural reference there @MadMax!

If I knew how to create a poll on who knows this reference I would. Alas, I don't.