Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4473 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Still looking forward to either a game use review or someone putting it through the ringer. Like others have said video would be great.

I used mine in a game...what do you want to know?

I might have time to put it through the ringer tomorrow night unless somebody else beats me to it.

Posted

Being shipped to my new destination. I will have mine for probably 2 plates these last 2 series. Will post review at the conclusion of the season, early Sept.

Posted

Still looking forward to either a game use review or someone putting it through the ringer. Like others have said video would be great.

I used mine in a game...what do you want to know?

I might have time to put it through the ringer tomorrow night unless somebody else beats me to it.

Comfort, coverage, fit. Psychologically, do you have the comfort level to say you feel confident in it that you will be protected. How a hit feels when compared with your other protector(s). Anything you want to get out there.

Posted

My Davishield fit like an Under Armor shirt. It was pretty cool, too. I was excited to take the field with it, until I had someone take that baseball on a golf shaft to me. That thing never made the field.

Fellas, I beg you, test that thing before you get behind a catcher. Take a shot to the ribs and collar bone (lightly at first, though), and THEN make your decision to wear it on the field.

Posted

I got to thinking (I know. Shut up). Most safety items have a life span. Bullet proof vests, hard hats, fall protection. They all "expire." I'm send TW an email addressing this. Does the zorbium or whatever have a life span? How often should it be replaced? Whate about the unequal? Kevlar helmets, flak jackets, etc. must be replaced on a schedule. This may be a VERY important fact that has been overlooked. I would recommend someone who got the UE contact the mfg (not Evans) and discuss this. I will let y'all know what TW says.

Btw... Is this the longest thread record?

Posted

I got to thinking (I know. Shut up). Most safety items have a life span. Bullet proof vests, hard hats, fall protection. They all "expire." I'm send TW an email addressing this. Does the zorbium or whatever have a life span? How often should it be replaced? Whate about the unequal? Kevlar helmets, flak jackets, etc. must be replaced on a schedule. This may be a VERY important fact that has been overlooked. I would recommend someone who got the UE contact the mfg (not Evans) and discuss this. I will let y'all know what TW says.

Btw... Is this the longest thread record?

I think if finally surpassed the beloved Finnerty Supply Bucket thread :D

Posted

About TW life span/replacement

Greg

Thank you for contacting Team Wendy. The recommendation for the UMPS replacement is annually. Due to the fabric surrounding the Foam.

Washing Instructions: Hand wash with gentle detergent, air dry.

Thank you,Sheilah

Sheilah Isaac | Account Management Coordinator| 17000 Saint Clair Avenue Building 1 |

Cleveland, OH 44110

P: 216-738-2518 Ext. 232 | F: 216-738-2510

www.sisaac@Teamwendy.com

Posted

Yearly? Jeez. I would think it would be more durable than that.

By the way, I got my tracking number for the CP, it will be here Thursday. WOO HOO!

Posted

I recall TW saying the zorbium foam shouldn't "break down" and any changes are recommended for hygiene, ect.

I can't wait to retrofit my Gold with the TW padding. I Realized a lot of the bulk I hate with the gold and platinum is due to the padding thickness not the plastic or overall design

Posted

Kevlar definitely has a life span, anywhere between 8-10 years in bullet proof vests. What makes UNEQUAL special, is that their Kevlar is encapsulated, and not exposed to air. Air is what starts to decompose the characteristics of the Kevlar. As long as the Kevlar is not compromised, theoretically, the lifespan is a lot longer than the 8-10 years. Also, stopping a baseball and a bullet are totally different, that's why bullet proof vests have an expiration date.

Posted

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, fellas.

Certainly several of you guys have one of these rigs on as we speak, You've probably been wearing them around the office, driving around town, and standing in line at the Costco, festooned in your latest and greatest, hoping with utmost glee that an errant baseball will strike you in the chest. Alas, that just hasn't happened.

So head out to the garage, oh lucky ones, and let your better half have at you with the Louisville Slugger. (Start snoring, she'll take it from there), and have one of your kids video it. We have to know if this damn thing works, or if Jim Evans yelping wasn't an act.

Posted

I'm with Kyle here. You guys talked about this thing for what seemed like months and now no one wants to go test the thing?

And the Wendy's padding is supposed to be replaced every year? Getting a Douglas CP fitted with their padding sounds interesting, but $119/year does not sound fun at all.

Posted

Hell, send me the damn thing and I'll test it for you. SWMBO would enjoy taking a whack at me.

Posted

Kevlar definitely has a life span, anywhere between 8-10 years in bullet proof vests. What makes UNEQUAL special, is that their Kevlar is encapsulated, and not exposed to air. Air is what starts to decompose the characteristics of the Kevlar. As long as the Kevlar is not compromised, theoretically, the lifespan is a lot longer than the 8-10 years. Also, stopping a baseball and a bullet are totally different, that's why bullet proof vests have an expiration date.

Speaking in regard to bullet resistant Kevlar vests, I have always been instructed that heat and humidity/moisture (especially sweat) serve to degrade Kevlar fibers over time, as well as possibly repeated bending from normal use. Most body armor I know of is guaranteed by the manufacturers for five years, and after that it should be replaced. Now, I am not a scientist or a chemist. I can't say for sure that the five year time frame isn't a scam by manufacturers to get people to buy new armor every five years. I also can't say for sure that encapsulating the Kevlar makes a difference or not. But I do know that when it comes to my own safety, I replace the armor when the manufacturer suggests it should be replaced. Stopping a baseball and a bullet are different things to be sure, but the concept (and thus why Kevlar works in both applications) is the same, stopping blunt force trauma. In my opinion, expecting to get eight to ten years out of Kevlar would be pushing your luck, especially since many of you are calling games in very hot, humid areas.

My $.02, your mileage may vary.

Posted

Have a little patience guys, I said I would test this thing out for real as soon as I get it. It shall arrive Thursday and I hope to have a test (with video) up by Sunday.

Posted

About TW life span/replacement

Greg

Thank you for contacting Team Wendy. The recommendation for the UMPS replacement is annually. Due to the fabric surrounding the Foam.

Washing Instructions: Hand wash with gentle detergent, air dry.

Thank you,Sheilah

Sheilah Isaac | Account Management Coordinator| 17000 Saint Clair Avenue Building 1 |

Cleveland, OH 44110

P: 216-738-2518 Ext. 232 | F: 216-738-2510

www.sisaac@Teamwendy.com

That's what she said. It's probably the same comment someone would say about the original foam in the protector -- which is at least 12-15 years old.

I'm OK with the TW "recommendation" and will not hesitate to use it for more than one year. The protector went out Monday -- just waiting for the call from TW to pay for the retrofit.

Posted

About TW life span/replacement

Greg

Thank you for contacting Team Wendy. The recommendation for the UMPS replacement is annually. Due to the fabric surrounding the Foam.

Washing Instructions: Hand wash with gentle detergent, air dry.

Thank you,Sheilah

Sheilah Isaac | Account Management Coordinator| 17000 Saint Clair Avenue Building 1 |

Cleveland, OH 44110

P: 216-738-2518 Ext. 232 | F: 216-738-2510

www.sisaac@Teamwendy.com

Did you ask her if she worked on commission?

Posted

That's a 2 edged sword. They might be trying to sell more by advising annual replacement. OR they might be covering thier liability. If you get concussed 14 months after purchase, you have no recourse on equipment failure (if it in fact failed) because they told you to replace it.

Most likely.... Some of each

Posted

I apologize for this somewhat "off topic" inquiry, but in the pages above several members have referenced Team Wendy replacement pads for a chest protector. I've got them in my Diamond light weight mask, and they've been awesome (because they're stiff, they permit me to wear my mask even looser than I could before with my Wilson leather wrap arounds--and thus not only do they absorb impact, they also encourage the mask to spin away when impacted which also helped my grey matter this past season). While I've already ordered a Unequal protector, my biggest complaint with my Platinum is not that it makes me look like Mean Joe Green--which I kinda like, actually--but rather my lower ribs on the sides are only covered by a very soft nylon covered foam, and I've taken a rib bruising even at Little League level that took weeks to heal). Team Wendy's replacement pad could theoretically ameliorate the lower rib exposure on my Platinum--i.e. make it less of a potential problem--but I couldn't find them anywhere on line. One website has some "Wendy's replacement pads" for like $56 that look like they are kind of a cut and paste sort of thing. Is that what you guys are referring to? Others have referenced a set of Wendy's pads that cost $115. Where have you seen the Wendy's replacement pads for chest protectors??

Posted

And, I suppose one could even stick a Wendy's pad under the sternum of the Unequal protector in the event there was concern about having adequate protection of the heart--wouldn't change the profile of the protector by much I'd think.

Posted

I apologize for this somewhat "off topic" inquiry, but in the pages above several members have referenced Team Wendy replacement pads for a chest protector. I've got them in my Diamond light weight mask, and they've been awesome (because they're stiff, they permit me to wear my mask even looser than I could before with my Wilson leather wrap arounds--and thus not only do they absorb impact, they also encourage the mask to spin away when impacted which also helped my grey matter this past season). While I've already ordered a Unequal protector, my biggest complaint with my Platinum is not that it makes me look like Mean Joe Green--which I kinda like, actually--but rather my lower ribs on the sides are only covered by a very soft nylon covered foam, and I've taken a rib bruising even at Little League level that took weeks to heal). Team Wendy's replacement pad could theoretically ameliorate the lower rib exposure on my Platinum--i.e. make it less of a potential problem--but I couldn't find them anywhere on line. One website has some "Wendy's replacement pads" for like $56 that look like they are kind of a cut and paste sort of thing. Is that what you guys are referring to? Others have referenced a set of Wendy's pads that cost $115. Where have you seen the Wendy's replacement pads for chest protectors??

Teamwendy.com you actually mail your chest protector in and they replace your pads with theirs. Also if you give me a few days I'm working on an extension for the platinum. I'm calling it "The Rest of the West"

Posted

I apologize for this somewhat "off topic" inquiry, but in the pages above several members have referenced Team Wendy replacement pads for a chest protector. I've got them in my Diamond light weight mask, and they've been awesome (because they're stiff, they permit me to wear my mask even looser than I could before with my Wilson leather wrap arounds--and thus not only do they absorb impact, they also encourage the mask to spin away when impacted which also helped my grey matter this past season). While I've already ordered a Unequal protector, my biggest complaint with my Platinum is not that it makes me look like Mean Joe Green--which I kinda like, actually--but rather my lower ribs on the sides are only covered by a very soft nylon covered foam, and I've taken a rib bruising even at Little League level that took weeks to heal). Team Wendy's replacement pad could theoretically ameliorate the lower rib exposure on my Platinum--i.e. make it less of a potential problem--but I couldn't find them anywhere on line. One website has some "Wendy's replacement pads" for like $56 that look like they are kind of a cut and paste sort of thing. Is that what you guys are referring to? Others have referenced a set of Wendy's pads that cost $115. Where have you seen the Wendy's replacement pads for chest protectors??

Here is the info on the retrofit. The Price rerefenced here is for MLB Staff. Standard retail price is $119.00

TWRetrofit.png

Posted

I apologize for this somewhat "off topic" inquiry, but in the pages above several members have referenced Team Wendy replacement pads for a chest protector. I've got them in my Diamond light weight mask, and they've been awesome (because they're stiff, they permit me to wear my mask even looser than I could before with my Wilson leather wrap arounds--and thus not only do they absorb impact, they also encourage the mask to spin away when impacted which also helped my grey matter this past season). While I've already ordered a Unequal protector, my biggest complaint with my Platinum is not that it makes me look like Mean Joe Green--which I kinda like, actually--but rather my lower ribs on the sides are only covered by a very soft nylon covered foam, and I've taken a rib bruising even at Little League level that took weeks to heal). Team Wendy's replacement pad could theoretically ameliorate the lower rib exposure on my Platinum--i.e. make it less of a potential problem--but I couldn't find them anywhere on line. One website has some "Wendy's replacement pads" for like $56 that look like they are kind of a cut and paste sort of thing. Is that what you guys are referring to? Others have referenced a set of Wendy's pads that cost $115. Where have you seen the Wendy's replacement pads for chest protectors??

Teamwendy.com you actually mail your chest protector in and they replace your pads with theirs. Also if you give me a few days I'm working on an extension for the platinum. I'm calling it "The Res of the West"

Wilson had this in the works. I'm not sure if they have it available yet:

162852_496089733152_7375122_n.jpg

165332_496089823152_3719670_n.jpg

Posted

Needs a bigger umpire. When that guy drops in any sort of stance, that thing is lower than his belt buckle.

Look, if you need that coverage, go get 'em. But on most of us, that last rib is not in the center, but on the outer edges of our c/p. So that thing's worthless.

×
×
  • Create New...