Question about Refsmart timer

mac266

Whelp, it looks like I'll be calling JuCo in the spring, so I need a pitch timer.  I just got this from our friends at Ump-Attire:  https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/FB-2540/RefSmart-Universal-Game-Day-Umpire-Referee-Timer

Anyway, the instructions are easy and I have it configured for baseball (20 and 120 seconds).  But my question is, for those that use it, how do you protect it inside your gear bag?  It doesn't seem all that substantially built, so banging around inside my gear bag might mean I won't have a timer when game time comes! 

1 hour ago, mac266 said:

Whelp, it looks like I'll be calling JuCo in the spring, so I need a pitch timer.  I just got this from our friends at Ump-Attire:  https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/FB-2540/RefSmart-Universal-Game-Day-Umpire-Referee-Timer

Anyway, the instructions are easy and I have it configured for baseball (20 and 120 seconds).  But my question is, for those that use it, how do you protect it inside your gear bag?  It doesn't seem all that substantially built, so banging around inside my gear bag might mean I won't have a timer when game time comes! 

It should come with a box that is protective 

17 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

There was a digital indicator that is being experimented with.  Not in mass production yet.  There is a thread here somewhere ... 

And has been sinc3 right around tge start of Covid. I'm still hoping it hits the market. But there hasn't been an update on the Facebook page since middle of summer.

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, BravoUmp said:

With the new NCAA timing rules, Does anyone know how to change the timer to buzz at 10 seconds now that a hitter has to be alert at 10 instead of 5 seconds?

I asked Ty with ump-attire last week in Orlando and he said they do not have an ability to change it at this point.  It sounded as if ump-attire was working with the company to try to achieve a solution but it didn't sound promising as of last week. 

1 hour ago, spiffdawg7 said:

I asked Ty with ump-attire last week in Orlando and he said they do not have an ability to change it at this point.  It sounded as if ump-attire was working with the company to try to achieve a solution but it didn't sound promising as of last week. 

And with visible clocks being required by 2024 and 2025, it is unlikely that we will see a new product developed to help with this.

7 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

And with visible clocks being required by 2024 and 2025, it is unlikely that we will see a new product developed to help with this.

I think you are probably right.  Why make a whole new product that is obsolete as soon as clocks are on the wall.  I'm hoping they can make an adjustment to existing product, but not sure if that is possible. 

On 11/5/2022 at 2:53 PM, mac266 said:

To the OP - Congrats on the promotion!  Welcome to the wonderful world of college ball.

My favorite is when you have a mid level Juco or D2 team.... Hell, even some D1 teams.  You're sitting there looking at pitches in the batter's box calling balls and getting chirped at for squeezing their pitcher.  Truth be known, you see better pitching over the Summer than in a lot of Juco/D2.  College sure pays better though.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, gnhbua93 said:

Last night, during my College Summer baseball game my box started to act up. It stopped buzzing at the 10 second mark. I just timed it and it was buzzing at 15 seconds.

Silly questions... Did you turn it off and back on? Did you check your switches to make sure that they didn't change position?

38 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Silly questions... Did you turn it off and back on?

Four engineers get into a car. The car won’t start. 
The mechanical engineer says: “It’s a broken starter”
The electrical engineer says: “Dead battery”
The chemical engineer says: “Impurities in the gasoline”
The IT engineer says: “Hey guys, I have an idea, how about we all get out of the car and get back in”
(been waiting to use that one since I saw it) 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Velho said:
Four engineers get into a car. The car won’t start. 
The mechanical engineer says: “It’s a broken starter”
The electrical engineer says: “Dead battery”
The chemical engineer says: “Impurities in the gasoline”
The IT engineer says: “Hey guys, I have an idea, how about we all get out of the car and get back in”
(been waiting to use that one since I saw it) 😃

You laugh, but it does happen with these boxes. Sometimes it won't go (if you flip it too frequently, for example) so a quick off-on fixes things. The key is to do it quietly so no one realizes it. 

Just now, TheRockawayKid said:

You laugh, but it does happen with these boxes. Sometimes it won't go (if you flip it too frequently, for example) so a quick off-on fixes things. The key is to do it quietly so no one realizes it. 

Yeah, I'm 100% with you. I've worked in a consumer electronics company for 24 years and know it well.

I was inserting (poorly) a general joke about "reboot" troubleshooting (one step before "impact maintenance"). Sorry if I came across as I was being unkind to you.