One ball bag? Big deal?

John S.
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3610 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Hey everyone,

I noticed yesterday that the PU during the As vs. Marlins game was only wearing one ball bag

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/11493214/v34095035/must-c-cannon-cespedes-nabs-stanton-at-plate/?source=MLB&c_id=mlb&tcid=facebook_embedded_player&gid=2014_06_27_oakmlb_miamlb_1

I know it is proper to use two ball bags depending on the level of baseball you do. I always assumed whenever you would umpire any older than 16 or 18, that you should wear two ball bags. Personal opinion, or proper attire?

Always two.... It keeps be balanced out, or else I'd lean to the right too far! 

I always keep my scorecard/notepad/stopwatch in my left bag.  @ALStripes17 is right, there is a routine and I'd feel weird if I broke it.

• Like 1

I wear 2. Where else am I gonns keep my sandwiches and cookies when I'm on the bases???

I know a guy who wears 2 which at our level you get 2 extra game balls, he wears 2 so he can keep his water bottle in one Im not sure if that makes him an idiot or a genius but its certinly innovative I'll give him that

I wear 2. Where else am I gonns keep my sandwiches and cookies when I'm on the bases???

I know a guy who wears 2 which at our level you get 2 extra game balls, he wears 2 so he can keep his water bottle in one Im not sure if that makes him an idiot or a genius but its certinly innovative I'll give him that:shakehead:

If you are only getting 3 balls or less - why wear 2 ?

Because you can. It's totally personal preference and absolutely no big deal either way, but I like the symmetry of two, plus I don't want one bag stuffed. I keep my brush and one ball on the right, all others on the left. I don't want to have a bunch of balls in the way when I get my brush or reach for a foul ball replacement. Just a personal thing, my routine.

I used to wear two, now I only wear one, mainly so that I can rotate my 3 dry lo's so they don't fade as quickly. I can fit 4 baseballs easy, if I need more a simple shout to the HC and I should be-able to get replenished. 

I wear two. I generally get three new baseballs and ask coaches for a couple more good ones to keep with me during the game.

I also keep my brush in the right and indicator in the left.

I know a guy who wears 2 which at our level you get 2 extra game balls, he wears 2 so he can keep his water bottle in one Im not sure if that makes him an idiot or a genius but its certinly innovative I'll give him that:shakehead:The sentiments of many of the umpires who I work with, we have many nicknames for this umpire, none of them are going to be posted, very crude

I used to wear two, now I only wear one, mainly so that I can rotate my 3 dry lo's so they don't fade as quickly. I can fit 4 baseballs easy, if I need more a simple shout to the HC and I should be-able to get replenished.

i lost all respect for you! :wave:

If you are only getting 3 balls or less - why wear 2 ?

Fair question.

I have my brush and indicator stored in one, my car key, lineup card, and sharpie stored in the other.

Depending on the field, I generally start a game with 6+ extra balls, no matter how many they offer before the game. I have them scrounge me a few more that are borderline playable or better, which we usually use, and it saves time during the game.

Cut your dead ball time, especially warmups, for quicker, better games. The only exception is time-limit games, and even there it's better baseball when they hustle and time without the possibility of recording an out is minimized.

Personal preference. It used to be an American League (1 bag) vs. National League (2 bags) thing.

Personally, I wear 2 satchels.

I like the 2 bag look but it presents 1 issue for me, I get 2 extra game balls, would i carry one per side(kidding) but it just doesn't make sense to have 2 for me, especally in my rec games where the fact I dress in uniform and use a ball bag seems to suprise everyone there
  • Like 1

Personal preference. It used to be an American League (1 bag) vs. National League (2 bags) thing.

Personally, I wear 2 satchels.

I like the 2 bag look but it presents 1 issue for me, I get 2 extra game balls, would i carry one per side(kidding) but it just doesn't make sense to have 2 for me, especally in my rec games where the fact I dress in uniform and use a ball bag seems to suprise everyone there

Screw that - go all out and wear two.  Give them the full treatment.

Personally, for me, it's 1 on the bases and two on the dish.   :sarcasm: