Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3607 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I tried my best on this ............

the red dot on Easton's hand is approximately the rubber based on Shields pivot foot .... the small circle inside the larger one is the upper-sole of his cleat ....

Okay -- but the entire foot needs to pass behind the back of the rubber. (I think)

the red dot on Easton's hand is approximately the rubber based on Shields pivot foot .... the small circle inside the larger one is the upper-sole of his cleat ....

Okay -- but the entire foot needs to pass behind the back of the rubber. (I think)

FED is the entire non-pivot foot behind the rubber (6-2-4-f); I think @Jimurray is right about OBR being any part of the foot (interp of 8.05(a) COMMENT).

The MLB Umpire Manual: "When a pitcher swings any part of his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher's rubber, it is a balk if he does not pitch to the batter, unless he throws (or feints a throw) to second base on a pick-off play" (emphasis included in the MLBUM)

FED is the entire non-pivot foot behind the rubber (6-2-4-f); I think @Jimurray is right about OBR being any part of the foot (interp of 8.05(a) COMMENT).

Since I wasn't sure, I went to look it up.  My (old) version of NAPBL says "entire foot."  My (old) MLBUM says "any part".  Didn't see in in JR or JEA. Can't find my BRD.

Can't find my BRD.

Got you covered...

FED: "entire non-pivot foot" (6-2-4f)

NCAA: Same as FED except from set position, if pitcher breaks the plane with "any part of his 'stride leg'" (9-1-b-3, 9-1-b Pen)

OBR: 8.05a CMT

Wendelstedt: "Unlike FED and NCAA, where the entire non-pivot foot must pass the plane of the rubber, it is a balk if the pitcher brings any part of his foot behind the back edge of the rubber. (HW/PL145/p. 124)"

From the TV angles provided, I don't see any more of a step towards HP than lefties get away with. This was a planned/practiced pickoff play. He may have stepped more towards HP, but I can't tell from those TV angles. If this was a leftie and a pickoff at 1B, I'd be surprised if a balk is called for stepping towards HP.

From the TV angles provided, I don't see any more of a step towards HP than lefties get away with. This was a planned/practiced pickoff play. He may have stepped more towards HP, but I can't tell from those TV angles. If this was a leftie and a pickoff at 1B, I'd be surprised if a balk is called for stepping towards HP.

If you look at the replay angle shown at the 52" mark, you can see that he pretty clearly stepped towards home (at least IMHO):

TrXNANU.jpg