'21 High School Season

FWIW, Just learned that WV is proposing a push back starting of the season by a month.  This means the state championship won't be until late June.  And while this will affect travel ball for the older age group, this definitely will hamper American Legion ball that usually started the beginning of June in WV.

What are other states plans?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Visiting in nice, but I can't live here anymore, either.  As a native San Diegan, I've seen this state decline in many ways. At some point, the weather just isn't worth it anymore. The wife and I

Besides, that way it's a tax write-off.

Love the part that all winter sports will not start until January, but hockey can start now....Because they paid for ice time...Now there's a decision based on science. 

From the NJSIAA:

"The Sports Advisory Task Force recognizes the importance of providing as complete of a spring season as possible and we appreciate everyone’s continued patience and understanding. The task force will be releasing the final plans for the spring sports season on or before Friday, December 11, 2020. Note that the spring season will most likely extend through the month of June."

If you have time for a nice series of TIAs, have a look at the NJSIAA Website and all it has to offer on how the seasons have been, ummmmm, adjusted.

• Sad 1

WIAA (Washington State) has pushed back the start of the season almost 2 months. First HS baseball & softball practices (i.e. tryouts) on April 26. Then a quick turnaround with games starting a week later. I'm unclear if there will be a full state tournament, or if it will be truncated at the regional level. But playoffs will go well into June, perhaps even past some schools' graduations?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ousafe said:

I'm unclear if there will be a full state tournament, or if it will be truncated at the regional level. But playoffs will go well into June, perhaps even past some schools' graduations?

They have stated multiple times on the bi-weekly (every other Wednesday) Zoom calls that they will be doing Regional titles. Though to my surprise, the Regions are evidently quite large. My region (I believe #6) goes from Clark County (near Portland) all the way up into Tacoma, Olympia, and Western Washington. 

But there will not be a normal State Title like in past years.

SIDE NOTE: If you haven't been on the Zoom calls, you REALLY should be. They are really great with tons of info. You can find them on the Central Hub for Baseball under the RTO area. Next one will be the 16th. Then not one until the middle of next month.

Right now in California, I'd be surprised if we even have a HS season in 2021. Usually our winter season (sort of a spring training) starts in January, and then we start the regular season in February. We're not even close to starting either of those. 

We have a complicated 4 tier covid restriction system in place by the state. Right now we're in the highest tier (purple) and it's darn near a lockdown in the entire state. I don't even know where youth sports games fit into which tier, but it's not in purple or the next tier, red. It's hard to move from one tier to the next. I won't even try to explain the tier system, you can google it if you're curious. The restrictions are so tight and youth sports are way down on the totem pole, I just don't see how we could start anytime soon. We were supposed to start HS football this month, but CIF pushed back that, too. I have not umpired, played softball, nor have my son's played adult baseball, since March. It could very well be over a year until we're able to get back on the field. Here in San Diego, we have the Lions Tournament every spring break. It's billed as the largest HS tournament in the country. I can't see how that's going to happen either. They use HS fields, and if the schools aren't open, can't use the fields. Most all of our LL fields are administered by the city, and until they open those up, no youth sports.

Right now. we're having a covid spike that has restricted much of the state. The restrictions are tied to the available hospital capacity. We're probably going to have another spike due to Thanksgiving, coupled with the beginning of the height of flu season, we're in for a long haul. Add in a no doubt Christmas spike, and we're probably into purple tier until February. 3 more tiers after that to get back to some sense of normalcy.

I don't see any other league starting anytime soon, LL, Pony, ASA, etc. At best, I think we may have some sort of modified season in HS and LL, but probably very limited and maybe not even until summer of 2021. Probably just have a limited and local post season.

Hope you all can get some games in sometime soon. I may take an extended vacation to visit my grand-kids in Oklahoma. Might just bring my gear, too. Going out of state is probably the only way I can get some games. :lol:

1 hour ago, JonnyCat said:

Right now in California, I'd be surprised if we even have a HS season in 2021.

Yeah, good luck with Cali.  You guys got it rough right now in So-Cal.  I'd love to come visit, but can't live there.

I wish you the best of luck!

South Carolina is being pushed back roughly 2 1/2 weeks.  We'll start our "pre-season" tournaments (these are games with umpires) at the end of the first week of March.  Our state championships will be the first week of June rather than the second week of May.  

Of course, with positivity rates running at 20% right now in our state (that is, 20% of all people tested are testing "positive") it is entirely possible that this season could be delayed further.  

3 hours ago, JonnyCat said:

Hope you all can get some games in sometime soon. I may take an extended vacation to visit my grand-kids in Oklahoma. Might just bring my gear, too. Going out of state is probably the only way I can get some games. :lol:

Besides, that way it's a tax write-off.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Yeah, good luck with Cali.  You guys got it rough right now in So-Cal.  I'd love to come visit, but can't live there.

I wish you the best of luck!

Visiting in nice, but I can't live here anymore, either. :lol:

As a native San Diegan, I've seen this state decline in many ways. At some point, the weather just isn't worth it anymore. The wife and I will be moving to another state when the kids are out of college. I'ts not going to get any better or cheaper and I certainly can't retire here. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, BLWizzRanger said:

With the trouble stirred up by the Michigan Governor, did the winter season have issues? How likely will spring sports will be affected?

we're in a "PAUSE" right now until 12/20.  She just extended it AGAIN for 12 more days, so yes, .... being pushed out for Winter stuff 

On 12/7/2020 at 8:29 AM, JonnyCat said:

Right now in California, I'd be surprised if we even have a HS season in 2021. Usually our winter season (sort of a spring training) starts in January, and then we start the regular season in February. We're not even close to starting either of those. 

We have a complicated 4 tier covid restriction system in place by the state. Right now we're in the highest tier (purple) and it's darn near a lockdown in the entire state. I don't even know where youth sports games fit into which tier, but it's not in purple or the next tier, red. It's hard to move from one tier to the next. I won't even try to explain the tier system, you can google it if you're curious. The restrictions are so tight and youth sports are way down on the totem pole, I just don't see how we could start anytime soon. We were supposed to start HS football this month, but CIF pushed back that, too. I have not umpired, played softball, nor have my son's played adult baseball, since March. It could very well be over a year until we're able to get back on the field. Here in San Diego, we have the Lions Tournament every spring break. It's billed as the largest HS tournament in the country. I can't see how that's going to happen either. They use HS fields, and if the schools aren't open, can't use the fields. Most all of our LL fields are administered by the city, and until they open those up, no youth sports.

Right now. we're having a covid spike that has restricted much of the state. The restrictions are tied to the available hospital capacity. We're probably going to have another spike due to Thanksgiving, coupled with the beginning of the height of flu season, we're in for a long haul. Add in a no doubt Christmas spike, and we're probably into purple tier until February. 3 more tiers after that to get back to some sense of normalcy.

I don't see any other league starting anytime soon, LL, Pony, ASA, etc. At best, I think we may have some sort of modified season in HS and LL, but probably very limited and maybe not even until summer of 2021. Probably just have a limited and local post season.

Being just up the 405 from you in Orange County, this is pretty much what we have here. In my local LL, all of our fields are on Newport Mesa School Fields, and as such, there is no way until CIF opens it up that the schools can justify allowing youth sports on those same fields. A few friends who are admins in local school districts in the area confirmed that in their opinion, there is little chance, at least how it stands now, that there will be much, if any HS baseball this coming year.

Based on the numbers here, I also am seriously doubtful that we will have a 2021 season... I paid my dues for CBUA, but until things get seriously better? That ready to be assigned check mark in Arbiter will stay unchecked. I have people who work for me home now with COVID... Not a gift I want to bring home...

Stay safe my friends!

• Like 2

I truly think we will have baseball in Washington next year (or is that just wishful thinking?). There is a strong push by the state association to play and setting out strict guidelines for us as the schools to follow. Elementary and Middle schools have started with limited students on campus for a while now.

So hopefully this is a trend in the right direction. 

Even so. I think I might push to work games next year (someone called them "Black Market" games recently and I thought that fit) as long as I can stay masked up, sanitized, and socially distant when able to do so.

The governor of Pennsylvania just halted all sports for schools until at least 1/4/21 along with other state wide restrictions to stop the spread of this rapidly spreading disease. Stay healthy all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/4/2020 at 10:42 PM, Kevin_K said:

If you have time for a nice series of TIAs, have a look at the NJSIAA Website and all it has to offer on how the seasons have been, ummmmm, adjusted

Love the part that all winter sports will not start until January, but hockey can start now....Because they paid for ice time...Now there's a decision based on science. :confused:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From NJSIAA, 12/11:

Baseball and softball pitchers and catchers may begin practicing on Friday, March 26, 2021. Team practices for all sports will begin on Thursday, April 1, 2021. Competition will start on Monday, April 19, 2021, and the season will end on Sunday, June 20, 2021. NJSIAA post-season will start Tuesday, June 1, 2021, and conclude Sunday, June 20, 2021; however teams not participating in the post-season may continue to play regular season games through the end of the season, as long as they do not exceed the maximum number of regular season games permitted.

22 minutes ago, rcjhyman said:

From NJSIAA, 12/11:

Baseball and softball pitchers and catchers may begin practicing on Friday, March 26, 2021. Team practices for all sports will begin on Thursday, April 1, 2021. Competition will start on Monday, April 19, 2021, and the season will end on Sunday, June 20, 2021. NJSIAA post-season will start Tuesday, June 1, 2021, and conclude Sunday, June 20, 2021; however teams not participating in the post-season may continue to play regular season games through the end of the season, as long as they do not exceed the maximum number of regular season games permitted.

You also need to read the part that says Season 3 (WTF is that?) for gymnastics, girls volleyball, and wrestling ends on April 24. So if a student plays a traditional spring sport and participates in any of those mentioned, what do they do?

Starting shortstop is a wrestler. Does he wrestle and skip baseball or go through pre-season (limited to one scrimmage) with baseball? Can they do both? Probably not, that's too many contacts.

At least I have volleyball, baseball, and a vaccine all on the horizon. There seems to be light filtering through the long sadness of the corona. :rantoff:Until some selfish c*#nts eff it up.:ranton:

5 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

You also need to read the part that says Season 3 (WTF is that?) for gymnastics, girls volleyball, and wrestling ends on April 24. So if a student plays a traditional spring sport and participates in any of those mentioned, what do they do?

Starting shortstop is a wrestler. Does he wrestle and skip baseball or go through pre-season (limited to one scrimmage) with baseball? Can they do both? Probably not, that's too many contacts.

At least I have volleyball, baseball, and a vaccine all on the horizon. There seems to be light filtering through the long sadness of the corona. :rantoff:Until some selfish c*#nts eff it up.:ranton:

They “address “ it, but it really doesn’t give the answer as to “how”. 

“Therefore, since June, it has focused on providing a participation opportunity for every student-athlete in every sport while striving to minimize the potential overlap between sports seasons. Multi-sport athletes should be celebrated and should not have to choose between the sports that they love to play. As a  result of the suspension of indoor practices and competition required by Executive Order No. 204, some overlap between the seasons is unavoidable, but based on the below plan, student- athletes will still have the opportunity to compete in all seasons.

UIL here in Texas has baseball scheduled as usual so we shall see what that looks like when 2021 comes. Football and other fall sports have rolled along pretty well, I was skeptical in August that they would get through the season but 6A/5A started state playoffs last week and lower classifications are playing championship games this week. 

First Day of after school practice: Jan. 22
First Day of scrimmages: Feb. 6
First Day of Games: Feb 22
State Tournament: June 9-12

In Iowa we got through our abbreviated summer season, in which games started on June 15 (normally around May 22), with less than 5 percent of baseball and softball teams' seasons being interrupted or ended by COVID 19.  We had a full postseason schedule, ending at the end of July.  Many teams played as many as 30 regular season games.  Baseball has a proven case where baseball can be played safely, but precautions need to be mandated and upheld at each schools' responsibility.  

In states where Legion ball overlaps with a late start, that is quite the predicament to be in as a state official.  I look forward to following this post to see updates and how other states handle this.  Hope everyone gets the chance to work as much as possible.  Stay safe everyone!