AlbertaUmpire

Opinions on New Social-Distancing Regulations for Officials

Hi y'all,

With the season getting back under way, more and more leagues and associations have been releasing their social-distancing rules and regulations, including my own.

However, when going through my local leagues guidelines, my first thought was how they were making a travesty out of the game I love. Now granted I do understand the need for these protocols in these troubling times, however poor development and execution of said protocols waters down the game to nothing more than a sandlot game, signing countless waivers just to have the majority of your responsibilities to the point where you're a glorified tee ball coach who's just there to stand 6 feet away and tell little Timmy he's out gets at me to no end (oh, and god forbid you lay a single hair on a baseball).

Regardless of my severe discontent for my leagues regulations, I am curious to hear what all of you have to say about them. Love them? Hate them? I would love to hear your thoughts!

I don't need to work games. I want to work games. If I feel that the changes to mechanics or protocol are threatening the integrity of the game... I'm not going to work those games. We, as umpires and officials, need to realize that we are independent contractors. If we don't want to work, we don't have to work games under those conditions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, for the most part the games ARE "meaningless"...assuming you are in Alberta as I am, there are no Provincials, no Westerns, no Nationals to drive towards for the club teams.   It's all just an attempt to get some baseball happening so the kids can get out and do something, get some exercise, get some social interaction.  An impartial arbiter to call balls/strikes/out/safe is nice to have, but certainly not necessary.   The priority here is getting active, not a perfect representation of a particular sport.

If following a few safety protocols is too arduous, then don't ump.

The "integrity" of the game, and whether or not it's a "travesty" is the least of our concerns at this point.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Well, for the most part the games ARE "meaningless"...assuming you are in Alberta as I am, there are no Provincials, no Westerns, no Nationals to drive towards for the club teams.   It's all just an attempt to get some baseball happening so the kids can get out and do something, get some exercise, get some social interaction.  An impartial arbiter to call balls/strikes/out/safe is nice to have, but certainly not necessary.   The priority here is getting active, not a perfect representation of a particular sport.

The "integrity" of the game, and whether or not it's a "travesty" is the least of our concerns at this point.  

Lot of no this no that going on here.

Is there still beer??

A nice Labatts Blue sounds good right now.

21 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Now this is just the opinion of just some guy who is a never was nobody, me.... but as umpires, shouldn't the bolded be our only concern?

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Now this is just the opinion of just some guy who is a never was nobody, me.... but as umpires, shouldn't the bolded be our only concern?

Depends on the context...sometimes you just have to adjust your expectations...or broaden your definition of "integrity" and narrow your scope of "travesty".

In this environment  I'll gladly grab a volunteer from the stands and simply ask them to do the best they can.   

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 2:45 PM, dumbdumb said:

Is there still beer??

A nice Labatts Blue sounds good right now.

if @beerguy55 is involved, he better be bringing that Canadian Molson.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with it. It's easier, I don't take any flack from coaches or fans because they know it's weird, and I still get paid the same. It's challenging and different, but it keeps our minds sharp. Plus I can just work a little league game with a mask on and they let me crouch behind the plate normally. So I honestly don't have an issue with it.

1 hour ago, Scissors said:

I don't have a problem with it. It's easier, I don't take any flack from coaches or fans because they know it's weird, and I still get paid the same. It's challenging and different, but it keeps our minds sharp. Plus I can just work a little league game with a mask on and they let me crouch behind the plate normally. So I honestly don't have an issue with it.

They do?  That's not what Williamsport is recommending--though they didn't come down with a hard no.  As usual, of course, not a hint of what mechanics should be beyond "behind the mound" so I'm making up a two-person system and calling it good.  For the summer, all we're trying to do is let the kids play something...we will do our best, if calls go wack, we'll live with it because 100% accuracy really isn't the most important aspect of the experience right now.  Perspective.

I don't understand the confusion.

If you wear a mask, you can get as close as you want to to other people.

If you social distance, you just stay 6 feet or more away from other people.

The confusion occurs when the powers that be want us to do both.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:33 AM, stevis said:

They do?  

Yep. I'm not allowed to in my umpire association but in just the LL they allow it. With a mask on of course.