New Balance T3000 Field Shoes are here... opinions?

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 431 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What are your thoughts on the new NB field shoes? Purchase Officials has them available for order now at $94.99

I don't like the black highlights on the "N" personally.  The rest looks pretty easy to clean up.

It only shows available sizes in EE also. I'm hoping that's a typo?

image.thumb.png.5fc22c3c0adbe9bd035bbaf89e73b32e.png

• wolfe_man changed the title to New Balance T3000 Field Shoes are here... opinions?
5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm actually in the market for new base shoes. I was looking at either these ($85 on the NB website if they have them in stock) or the 4040 shoes.

I went with the UA Yard Turf this year.  I like the fact that they are simply designed. No huge logos or too much going on, but plain and simple logo and B&W color.  

I have some NB Vaadu's also that I may wear on some occasions.

If you need wide shoes, then you're out of luck because the UA Yard Turf are only available in standard D width.

image.thumb.png.32142c10809da43daa9a43ffd943eb36.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

I may end up looking at running shoes again. Or something that gives a bit more cushion. I like new blanace for the width, but after multiple games my feet and knees kill me in new balance turf shoes normally.

Anyone know how cushioned these new ones are?

I think these are just normal NB 3000 model shoes, but in black & white so they can sell as "umpire" shoes.  That's why the logo isn't simply the normal white, but outlined with black (I do not like it).   It's the Wilson approach to selling umpire shoes.  Change the color, nothing else and market to umpires as "new" field shoes.

In my experience, NB insoles have not been very good the last few years.  If you're on your feet a lot, then I'd either change the insoles to something better - or - use a different shoemaker entirely.  NB appears to be leaving us high and dry, so I no longer feel the need to support them.  To be honest, I've only had one pair of their field shoes (mids, which I liked the support but the insoles weren't good) and one pair of the old 460 plates - but normally used Reebok for my plates and Nike in the field until the mids.

I've heard good things about Under Armour and Mizuno, but haven't got any first-hand experience to offer yet.  I'll have some after a few games on my new field shoes, so check back with me in early April (games start late March).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I think these are just normal NB 3000 model shoes, but in black & white so they can sell as "umpire" shoes.  That's why the logo isn't simply the normal white, but outlined with black (I do not like it).   It's the Wilson approach to selling umpire shoes.  Change the color, nothing else and market to umpires as "new" field shoes.

@MadMax, is that you?

🤣😆🤣

• Haha 3

On 2/21/2023 at 12:59 PM, wolfe_man said:

What are your thoughts on the new NB field shoes? Purchase Officials has them available for order now at $94.99

I don't like the black highlights on the "N" personally.  The rest looks pretty easy to clean up.

It only shows available sizes in EE also. I'm hoping that's a typo?

image.thumb.png.5fc22c3c0adbe9bd035bbaf89e73b32e.png

Dislike 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:25 AM, GreyhoundAggie said:

I do change out the insoles is the funny part. I just need wide. At least EE width.

May look for those brooks shoes someone posted in another thread.

If you can find the link, I would be interested as well. I need wide too.

Eh, I'm not a golf judge. I've got this strange twinge that I'll be asked for a drop ruling if I wear these. 

air-max-270-g-golf-shoe-GVHWZK.png

However, I do suppose the big benefit here is that these are going to be super popular in professional baseball (and collegiate, likely) and will be one big f*<king nail in the coffin on polished / polishing base shoes. :fuel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:25 AM, GreyhoundAggie said:

I do change out the insoles is the funny part. I just need wide. At least EE width.

May look for those brooks shoes someone posted in another thread.

Hard to go wrong with Hoka shoes as well for comfort on the bases.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

I agree with you Max. I don't care about polishing base shoes either. I just need shoes that are comfortable and effective.

Only reason I break out the polish is to get out cover up the frickin' red dirt stains in the seams

3 hours ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

I agree with you Max. I don't care about polishing base shoes either. I just need shoes that are comfortable and effective.

Never tried Hoka but they look comfortable. Skechers also are comfortable, but my last pair didn't hold up as well as I'd like.

I have been wearing the Hokas for a month for walking.  I love them. Thinking about the Clifton model for an on field shoe.  

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/sale/clifton-8/194715600300.html?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc_brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItrPNlq22_QIVzv_jBx0aFg-4EAAYASAAEgK8mPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 hours ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

100%!  That's why I'm going with black New Balance golf shoes this year - they are very comfortable, waterproof, and give me the traction I need on wet grass that I don't get from regular running shoes or cross trainers.  No one will even notice they are golf shoes unless they are really looking closely, and if MLB umps can wear Air Jordans the NB golf shoes look much better than those IMO.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, boyinr said:

I have been wearing the Hokas for a month for walking.  I love them. Thinking about the Clifton model for an on field shoe.  

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/sale/clifton-8/194715600300.html?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc_brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItrPNlq22_QIVzv_jBx0aFg-4EAAYASAAEgK8mPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna go check them out at the local running store.

54 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna go check them out at the local running store.

I had posted that I am using Brooks as much as possible this year, but, after hearing a testimonial yesterday from another umpire on Hokas allowing him to get in another 5 games as a basketball ref, and more importantly, from my SWMBO with plantar hurts-my-feet (or however you spell that dang thing), I might try them next when these Brooks wear out.