I've given up.

HokieUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 567 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Before I actually start my post, understand that I'm aware that I might catch hell from a segment of this site's population.  My reaction to that is more of a combination of resignation/indifference than anything else.  And so.....

As we all know, there is a "jewelry rule" in NFHS sanctioned baseball.  As of this season - and I wish I could remember the specific date I decided this, as it makes for a more dramatic reading - I have officially Given Up trying to enforce that $%#^&@ rule.  Those of you who still fight the 'good' fight, Godspeed.  I'm Over.  It.

I have been a jewelry and accoutrements enforcer for my career - at least at the HS level, where it's addressed.  And I even started this year, my last in Texas, with the good intent of continuing to do so.  I made the point of saying at plate meetings, in the scrimmage run-up "so we're not playing summer ball, so make sure everybody loses the necklaces and the  jewelry," or words to that effect.  And yet, I'd still see plenty of stuff - not just the necklaces, but the friendship bracelets, and the awareness bands, etc.  And, much like a side character in a zombie movie, I felt quickly overwhelmed by the sheer numbers.

So I'm done.  I'm out.  Now, all I'm sweating is whatever F1 might have on his throwing hand when he enters the game.  At most, I might ask a batter to tuck a necklace back into his shirt when he steps in.

I don't know that I ever cared  that much about that rule and its enforcement - I didn't go looking for issues, but got the obvious stuff.  But - and I'll shake my cane here for emphasis - "back in the older days," or at least in my East Coast days, it didn't seem like there was that much to find.  Now there's more, and just don't want to be "jewelry guy," or screw with the flow of the game any more than I need to.

So, am I just now finally figuring out what everyone else decided a few years ago?  Or am I a heretic for not continuing to party like it's 1959?  Discuss.

7 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

Before I actually start my post, understand that I'm aware that I might catch hell from a segment of this site's population.  My reaction to that is more of a combination of resignation/indifference than anything else.  And so.....

As we all know, there is a "jewelry rule" in NFHS sanctioned baseball.  As of this season - and I wish I could remember the specific date I decided this, as it makes for a more dramatic reading - I have officially Given Up trying to enforce that $%#^&@ rule.  Those of you who still fight the 'good' fight, Godspeed.  I'm Over.  It.

I have been a jewelry and accoutrements enforcer for my career - at least at the HS level, where it's addressed.  And I even started this year, my last in Texas, with the good intent of continuing to do so.  I made the point of saying at plate meetings, in the scrimmage run-up "so we're not playing summer ball, so make sure everybody loses the necklaces and the  jewelry," or words to that effect.  And yet, I'd still see plenty of stuff - not just the necklaces, but the friendship bracelets, and the awareness bands, etc.  And, much like a side character in a zombie movie, I felt quickly overwhelmed by the sheer numbers.

So I'm done.  I'm out.  Now, all I'm sweating is whatever F1 might have on his throwing hand when he enters the game.  At most, I might ask a batter to tuck a necklace back into his shirt when he steps in.

I don't know that I ever cared  that much about that rule and its enforcement - I didn't go looking for issues, but got the obvious stuff.  But - and I'll shake my cane here for emphasis - "back in the older days," or at least in my East Coast days, it didn't seem like there was that much to find.  Now there's more, and just don't want to be "jewelry guy," or screw with the flow of the game any more than I need to.

So, am I just now finally figuring out what everyone else decided a few years ago?  Or am I a heretic for not continuing to party like it's 1959?  Discuss.

Interesting for sure!

After reading and thinking about it, ... I don't find that I have a major issue with jewelry.  It starts at the plate meeting, "is everyone properly and legally equipped", ... a YES from the coaches should solve things, but we all know it doesn't.

IF I SEE IT .... (first time)  I tell them to remove it.  I'll also say before play resumes "guys, jewelry check please - take it off, alright?" (said stearn, but calm).    If I see it again, ...I will again tell the player to remove it, and at that point both teams gets the 'WARNING', ...   "guys, ... last time, jewelry check - next person will be ejected, no questions, ok?  (again, stearn but calm).

I've never got to stage 2, but ...I know what my plan is ;)   Now, ...is THAT HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO DO IT?  No.  (please, no lectures) .... But ... that's how I deal with it.  I'll give them an extra chance over and above the rule.

image.png

I always thought it was a dumb rule in the grand scheme of things.
Here in Omaha we typically play USSSA rules so there's nothing against necklaces/bracelets/whatever.

They can play wearing it from 7/8U (heck, earlier I guess) to 14U.
Then they CAN'T play while wearing it in H.S
Then they can wear it in college and pros?

• Like 3

We have the same issue at the LL level and its like Come on Coaches... 

Ugh  cannot you at least check your kids as the arrive to make sure they do not have their lucky necklace on.

sigh..

I mean jeez these kids are 8 to 12 year olds ( although I did see it on 16 yr olds too.

Again - I only care used to care about HS ball.  Other than school-ball, I work the usual travel ball stuff, and I work for a couple local house leagues.  They are LL (although one place seems to have some mix of Pony/LL, depending on the age group, so 🤷‍♂️....), but I'm not some "official," registered LL guy.  I'm "have indicator, will travel."  So for me, school ball is the only place it's been an issue.

In Texas, we have these blue cards that we give to the coaches to sign, and that's the attesting of the players and how they're equipped.  I think the main intent of that is to guarantee umpires won't get dragged into any kind of liability issues, and pushes the onus onto the coach/school.  And I'll STILL say at the plate meeting, "by your signature, your players are legally, safely, and properly equipped?" and make sure they confirm it.

But again, the sheer numbers of stuff worn - necklaces peeping out from under uni collars, awareness bracelets, friendship bracelets, etc - even saw my first "WWJD" bracelet in a long time - made me just say "F*#K it," and surrender like the French Army.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

IF I SEE IT .... (first time)  I tell them to remove it.  I'll also say before play resumes "guys, jewelry check please - take it off, alright?" (said stearn, but calm).    If I see it again, ...I will again tell the player to remove it, and at that point both teams gets the 'WARNING', ...   "guys, ... last time, jewelry check - next person will be ejected, no questions, ok?  (again, stearn but calm).

I've never got to stage 2, but ...I know what my plan is ;)   Now, ...is THAT HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO DO IT?  No.  (please, no lectures) .... But ... that's how I deal with it.  I'll give them an extra chance over and above the rule.

I was you once, Jeff - that's more or less how I dealt with it.  No longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieUmp said:

Now, all I'm sweating is whatever F1 might have on his throwing hand when he enters the game.  At most, I might ask a batter to tuck a necklace back into his shirt when he steps in.

Welcome to our campfire here, out in the woods, on the ridge overlooking the insane asylum as the lunatics and zombies overrun the staff. 

We have an annual, month-long Invitational Event here in Phoenix titled "The Coach Bob", wherein prestigious high schools in the valley host teams from out of state coming in to play each other and the host schools, and we HS-association guys are the umpires. Needless to say, it's often a who's-who list of guests in attendance, from celebrities (MLB guys watching their alma mater play while they're here for MLB Spring Training), recruiters, scouts, and all the families. Are we really going to be that guy who actually makes a big spectacle of it, and restricts the head coach of an out-of-state "blue chip" HS program who's nationally ranked, because his star centerfielder steps into the batter's box with a necklace on? Are we? Are we really??! 

Utterly ridiculous. But of course, I've got a PU partner making this big to-do about it at the plate meeting. 😬 🙄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLarson said:

They can play wearing it from 7/8U (heck, earlier I guess) to 14U.
Then they CAN'T play while wearing it in H.S
Then they can wear it in college and pros?

14U doesn't end it. They can play baseball with enough jewelry on to rival a Mardi Gras... participant... from tee-ball age thru adulthood, with no-one giving a care. 

They just can't in High School baseball. Why? Liability. Public schools are utterly terrified to their very bones about being sued in a personal injury lawsuit, and they've prompted the NFHS to scare the umpires into enforcing the rule by conjoining them – or implying that they'd be conjoined – into that lawsuit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

So, am I just now finally figuring out what everyone else decided a few years ago?

I became a better and much more calm umpire years ago when I decided I wasn't going to worry about most of the inconsequential things I would see. Yes, we have to enforce the rules, but I've become more "diplomatic" in the way I handle things. Much of that came through time and experience.

When I first was getting started in LL, we had a tendency to be OOO. Much of that was because of the LL culture in my area, and the requirement that LL umpires must enforce every single "safety" rule. I'm all for safety rules, but some of them just aren't rooted in reality or common sense. (that's a discussion for another time.)

After a while, I just realized that some things just weren't worth it to keep harping about, and there are better ways of handling situations without being the OOO guy. I have plenty of tools in my tool box to enforce all sorts of situations. It doesn't mean I have to break out the sledge hammer out for every instance. I've got bigger fish to fry on the baseball field.

I'm with you, make sure the pitcher isn't wearing anything. If a position player is wearing some sort of mostly inconspicuous jewelry, what's going to happen? As long as a player isn't wearing a Mister T starter set, I just don't care.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MadMax said:

They just can't in High School baseball. Why? Liability. Public schools are utterly terrified to their very bones about being sued in a personal injury lawsuit, and they've prompted the NFHS to scare the umpires into enforcing the rule by conjoining them – or implying that they'd be conjoined – into that lawsuit.

This exactly!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonnyCat said:

Much of that was because of the LL culture in my area, and the requirement that LL umpires must enforce every single "safety" rule. I'm all for safety rules, but some of them just aren't rooted in reality or common sense.

100. I have somehow become blind to stickers and sharpie on helmets. It's the damnest thing. ;)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Quite honestly, I have asked every player I see with necklaces if it is religious.  And they have all told me 'Yes.'  I don't notice the other items.  Must be my eyesight.

Don;t religious items need (by rule) to be taped under the uniform?  IMO, you're better off not seeing these, too (if you choose to go this route)

3 hours ago, noumpere said:

Don;t religious items need (by rule) to be taped under the uniform?  IMO, you're better off not seeing these, too (if you choose to go this route)

Yep. That's why my stance has now changed to "I'm seeing a chain around his neck. Well the coach attested they were legally and properly equipped, so I'm going to just assume it's a religious medal taped down." ... until proved otherwise. If the necklace is outside the front of the shirt, that's a different matter.

• Like 6

F1 with bling which is glaring enough for me to be dazzled at the plate, I have them take it off.

Batter comes to the plate with bling, unless it is WAY obvious (again, Mr. T), I just tell them when they go back to the dugout to lose it, I don't want to see it next time. So far this approach has worked. Chains I can barely see under the shirt? Not touching that. Right up there with the F1 wearing sunglasses... unless they are on top of his hat, he is good with me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

In Texas, we have these blue cards that we give to the coaches to sign, and that's the attesting of the players and how they're equipped.

I just shake my head while reading this, and think I've read it all about outrageous, ridiculous preliminaries TPTB heap on us umpires that have otherwise petty, minuscule bearing upon the actual game of baseball... 

... but then remember the poor saps in NJ ( @conbo61, @Richvee, @Kevin_K, et.al.) who have to recite a sportsmanship pledge off a cue card!! 🤬

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I just shake my head while reading this, and think I've read it all about outrageous, ridiculous preliminaries TPTB heap on us umpires that have otherwise petty, minuscule bearing upon the actual game of baseball... 

... but then remember the poor saps in NJ ( @conbo61, @Richvee, @Kevin_K, et.al.) who have to recite a sportsmanship pledge off a cue card!! 🤬

I'd rather have to wear navy than go through that crap! 🤣

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I'd rather have to wear navy than go through that crap! 🤣

Newsflash – and this just heaps the 💩 on... 
New Jersey still wears navy!!!! 🤢 🤮

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, noumpere said:

But that's different from asking them if it's religious, as you mentioned before.

I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but we each should be consistent with how we treat it.

No, same situation but to different persons....

Player: Is that a religious necklace?  I will have to instruct to tape it down though. I could always say, 'in my judgement it was taped down.'

Assigner/Association:  In my judgement....

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

Honestly, I don't mind it all that much - we have lineup cards that we hand to one of the head coaches before the game, and the teams fill it out and hand it back at the plate meeting.  We give them a "blue card" at the same time.

I mean, that's the best I can defend it, as I've only been here four years, and am not aware of the history or rationale otherwise.  I can only guess it's to provide a record if/when some Karen or Ken sues err'one because Ken Jr got hurt doing .... something.

• Like 1