The COVID-19 Thread - Discussion & Cancellations

image.png

Guys, ... most of this is all innocent and stuff, but I'm putting the kibosh on this immediately.  PLEASE - Don't bring politics into this thread, period!  This isn't the place or the time for it.  Thanks for your cooperation (this post isn't necessarily focused on Richvee or Matt either, it's for everyone)

batman stop GIF

• Like 1
  • Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well the good news is that the SCHSL has not canceled high school sports in South Carolina, yet.  So now, thanks to Coronavirus, we have four college umpires working a high school game tonight.  The g

I'm learning a LOT about my fellow umpires these last couple months. For one, the fact the "it's just a bad flu" is STILL being sold simply astounds me.  The lack of trust in the "mainstream medi

If you were to see what I write on FB, you would know that I'm a couple things:  1) highly opinionated, and 2) a political animal.  (You can't really grow up in the DC area, and not be the second of t

Posted Images

*puts on glasses* Actually..... it's both Millennials and Gen-Z that you're finding on the beaches. Right now, both encompass the late-teen to late-20s crowd, with the dividing line (depending on who you ask) between 22 and 25. Those are largely the people who didn't want to lose Spring Break, or who found their canceled college term and cheapest-ever-flights to mean "Spring Break 2.0."

But it's not just them. There are some people in every generation who aren't taking this very seriously. My Mom's cousin from Texas is flying tomorrow to meet Mom in Florida; neither care about the danger, or that their actions can affect so many other. Before the pandemic, I had planned on taking the kids to see her over Spring Break - that's not happening for several reasons, but mainly because of her lack of care and that I don't want to do anything to endanger their lives or the lives of others along the way.

9 minutes ago, yawetag said:

*puts on glasses* Actually..... it's both Millennials and Gen-Z that you're finding on the beaches. Right now, both encompass the late-teen to late-20s crowd, with the dividing line (depending on who you ask) between 22 and 25. Those are largely the people who didn't want to lose Spring Break, or who found their canceled college term and cheapest-ever-flights to mean "Spring Break 2.0."

But it's not just them. There are some people in every generation who aren't taking this very seriously. My Mom's cousin from Texas is flying tomorrow to meet Mom in Florida; neither care about the danger, or that their actions can affect so many other. Before the pandemic, I had planned on taking the kids to see her over Spring Break - that's not happening for several reasons, but mainly because of her lack of care and that I don't want to do anything to endanger their lives or the lives of others along the way.

I just found a round trip from Palm Springs to St Louis for $219 except I'm not wanting to get the coronavirus or give the coronavirus.  If the airlines want me to do that they better get some better prices.

So, Trump is pushing getting America back to work, the cure is worse than the problem.

He just said things should hopefully be back in "19 days" which is mid-April.

If the Feds say "back to work" will sports organizations follow?

15 minutes ago, Lou B said:

So, Trump is pushing getting America back to work, the cure is worse than the problem.

He just said things should hopefully be back in "19 days" which is mid-April.

If the Feds say "back to work" will sports organizations follow?

States may still ban things in their states. I'd bet on them continuing the restrictions.

Method I once used with a &^*&^ umpire in a heavy rain:  "I know I can't stop the game but the field is now closed so you'll have to continue elsewhere"

14 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

And if you're one of those "Freedom, F*#K yeah!" guys/gals, insisting on going to the beaches of the nation, playing basketball in the park over by my house (okay, that one's a little specific),

You are absolutely right.  These "kids" are the problem. Everyone I know over 70 has not left the house in at least a week.  Most folks over 40 are bathing in sanitizer 10 times a day and waking hands constantly.  Meanwhile you have these "kids" rubbing sun tan lotion on each other, sharing a vape device, playing basketball and just generally doing everything exactly opposite of what they should.  You have the WHOLE STATE OF FLORIDA (and its not a dig at my fellow umps there) allowing these kids to show up in masses and gather in groups of the 1000s.

I HAD to go to Sams yesterday to get my contacts.  I wore gloves, stayed at LEAST 10 feet from anyone else wiped the gloves down with the wipes at the door and re-wiped the gloves down every 1-2 minutes.  MEANWHILE, you have young parents with kids all around me basically licking and crawling on every surface of the cart and touching everything they can grab.

Fellas, we all know the "season" is over and yes, that sucks. But we are far beyond that now. We have to come together and force these "kids" to act responsibly.

Maybe instead of baseball questions and stories we should shift to "the dumbest thing I saw today". As least we could get a couple of laughs...although its not funny. 

I live in The Villages, ~ 175,000 retirees living "the good life" (STD capital of Florida!).

Pretty much everything is closed except for the grocery stores.  The only things hard to find are paper goods, disinfectants and eggs!

All social activities shut down except for the 50+ golf courses.

The wife and I have been playing just about every day, in addition to walking the dogs several times a day.

They just opened a drive-up test facility.

20 hours ago, Lou B said:

I live in The Villages, ~ 175,000 retirees living "the good life" (STD capital of Florida!).

Pretty much everything is closed except for the grocery stores.  The only things hard to find are paper goods, disinfectants and eggs!

All social activities shut down except for the 50+ golf courses.

The wife and I have been playing just about every day, in addition to walking the dogs several times a day.

They just opened a drive-up test facility.

Lou, how are things there? Until last year, my grandparents lived in The Villages. When my grandmother fell ill, they sold the house and moved in with my mom in Fruitland Park.

I've talked to my mom a few times, but she keeps saying no one in the area's gotten it. I do find it hard to believe that a virus that spreads socially hasn't touched The Villages, given the number of family members in and out of that place and how social the residents are (or were).

For anybody who thought the Spring Break thing was no big deal and that we need to get back to business as usual as fast as possible ...

Mardi Gras occurred in New Orleans about 4 weeks ago.  Louisiana’s numbers went from 430-some positive cases on Friday to just under 1,400 positive cases yesterday (Tuesday). Think about that ... the numbers tripled in 3-4 days.

Now, that rapid jump In the statistic is likely due to the lag in testing procedures catching up (hint: you don’t magically “have” COVID-19 once the test is positive), but it shows how rampant the spread can be from one large careless event.

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Mardi Gras occurred in New Orleans about 4 weeks ago.  Louisiana’s numbers went from 430-some positive cases on Friday to just under 1,400 positive cases yesterday (Tuesday). Think about that ... the numbers tripled in 3-4 days.

That's how exponential growth works. It's not due to extra people there for Mardi Gras - it's because the virus spreads that quickly.

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

That's how exponential growth works. It's not due to extra people there for Mardi Gras - it's because the virus spreads that quickly.

Umm, yeah?  Extra people there provides more opportunities for contact ... and extra people to take that back home ... to come in contact with more people ... and so on.

10 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Umm, yeah?  Extra people there provides more opportunities for contact ... and extra people to take that back home ... to come in contact with more people ... and so on.

I thought you were making a point that LA's increase was due to Mardi Gras.

If you meant that because of Mardi Gras, the spread in other areas is possible, then I agree.

Sorry if I misunderstood your point.

15 hours ago, yawetag said:

I thought you were making a point that LA's increase was due to Mardi Gras.

If you meant that because of Mardi Gras, the spread in other areas is possible, then I agree.

Sorry if I misunderstood your point.

No worries — I thought I was missing something!  Yes, people tracking who knows what in, contacting lots of people, and tracking who knows what back out.  Contributes to both their local increase and foreign exposures as well.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:54 PM, aaluck said:

You are absolutely right.  These "kids" are the problem. Everyone I know over 70 has not left the house in at least a week

I can dispute that...though there are certainly some generalizations across age groups that may be true, this is more a case of selfishness, stupidity and ignorance, rather than who is and isn't a boomer.

My in-laws, who are snow birds in their 80's, resisted all efforts to leave California to drive back home to Canada because they wanted another two weeks of golf...in fact, they only left because the golf courses closed due to COVID.  They would not believe any of the statements that medical insurance was going to be cancelled if they stayed too long, and couldn't fathom any possibility of the border closing.  And thought we were lying when telling them they may have problems finding a restaurant on their way home, will certainly not be able to eat in, and to bring home with them any toilet paper they have.  In fact, they thought it was all a big hoax...and even now sitting in a mandatory self-quarantine at home in Canada, they still don't get it.  Nor realize that if either of them gets it, the other will too, and they will both die.

And some of their friends down there were still there after they left...some living in Canada, others living in northern US (in the defense of one couple wintering near Palm Springs - they'd be returning home to Seattle)

And they're not alone...there were depression/war baby Canadians still arriving at the border on March 25th (two days after most insurers cancelled their medical insurance)...not flying...DRIVING home from the Southern US, where they had every opportunity (and reason) to leave two or three weeks earlier, but chose not to...mostly to get in a few more rounds of golf.   They were down in Florida with all those idiot Spring Breakers.

There is a whole pile of stupid going on, and it spans all generations and walks of life.  I even see it at the grocery stores between those who respect your space and those who don't.  These are the same people who go to the beach to watch tsunamis.

6 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Question:  For NCAA guys ....any news on getting your registration fees back, and/or rolled over to next season?

I received this moments ago...

NCAA Registered Officials:

As you are aware, on March 12, 2020 the NCAA made the difficult decision to cancel the remaining winter and spring championships due to the public health threat COVID-19. 

As a result of this unforeseen event, ArbiterSports is providing all 2019-20 registered officials in NCAA Baseball, Softball, Men’s Lacrosse, and Women’s Lacrosse a 25 percent discount when you complete a 2020-21 registration fee in these four sports.  This discount will be applied automatically when you complete your 2020-21 registration.

Thank you for playing such an important role in NCAA sports, and please keep yourself and your family healthy and safe.

We look forward to seeing you on the field next season!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

I can dispute that...though there are certainly some generalizations across age groups that may be true, this is more a case of selfishness, stupidity and ignorance, rather than who is and isn't a boomer.

My in-laws, who are snow birds in their 80's, resisted all efforts to leave California to drive back home to Canada because they wanted another two weeks of golf...in fact, they only left because the golf courses closed due to COVID.  They would not believe any of the statements that medical insurance was going to be cancelled if they stayed too long, and couldn't fathom any possibility of the border closing.  And thought we were lying when telling them they may have problems finding a restaurant on their way home, will certainly not be able to eat in, and to bring home with them any toilet paper they have.  In fact, they thought it was all a big hoax...and even now sitting in a mandatory self-quarantine at home in Canada, they still don't get it.  Nor realize that if either of them gets it, the other will too, and they will both die.

And some of their friends down there were still there after they left...some living in Canada, others living in northern US (in the defense of one couple wintering near Palm Springs - they'd be returning home to Seattle)

And they're not alone...there were depression/war baby Canadians still arriving at the border on March 25th (two days after most insurers cancelled their medical insurance)...not flying...DRIVING home from the Southern US, where they had every opportunity (and reason) to leave two or three weeks earlier, but chose not to...mostly to get in a few more rounds of golf.   They were down in Florida with all those idiot Spring Breakers.

There is a whole pile of stupid going on, and it spans all generations and walks of life.  I even see it at the grocery stores between those who respect your space and those who don't.  These are the same people who go to the beach to watch tsunamis.

Well, have to say the weather in the Palm Springs area is spectacular.   My wife works at a country club here and most of the people still playing golf aren't members of the country club and are out taking advantage of the club being shut down.  They are just walking out there and playing against club rules and the governors orders.  Hell, they can't even remove the flags.  

Actually I think we need to suit up an go out and start calling “out of the 6 foot base path”. While the venues have painted lines for the queues its bumper cars once you get inside. Most people are accommodating but there are some tontos that are unaware and should be ejected. Or hold your breath as they invade your space

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Most people are accommodating but there are some tontos that are unaware and should be ejected.

Unless it's FED. Then you need to restrict them first. :sarcasm:

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Actually I think we need to suit up an go out and start calling “out of the 6 foot base path”. While the venues have painted lines for the queues its bumper cars once you get inside. Most people are accommodating but there are some tontos that are unaware and should be ejected. Or hold your breath as they invade your space

This guy may have the right idea

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

This guy may have the right idea

That's not 6 feet around - it's barely 3 feet!

RE: NCAA Registration that @Kevin_K posted. So you lose your registration for this year and only get a 25% reduction next year? Wow.