kylejt

Astro's sign stealing.

This just hilarious. (caution: profane language in the video)

If you haven't noticed teams stealing signs and relaying to the batter, you're either new, or not paying attention. Catching on to it is all about timing. It's that 2 second gap between the sign going down, and the pitcher getting set. Listen for something coming from the dugout, R2, or a basecoach. Sometimes it's a name, number, or phrase (spin on it! wait! or really off the wall stuff).

In HS, the kids will pick up the signs from the manager in the other dugout, and relay that in. I've heard the kids bang a bat against the dugout floor for off speed stuff. If you're U2, you can see and hear that stuff going on all the time, if you pay attention.

And it's all good fun, until someone uses a camera. Hell, you don't even need a camera, just someone in centerfield, and someone in the dugout with a smartwatch (read: CUBS).

Next it will be a vibrating device on the batter, just wait.

4 hours ago, kylejt said:

And it's all good fun, until someone uses a camera. Hell, you don't even need a camera, just someone in centerfield, and someone in the dugout with a smartwatch (read: CUBS).

not sure why Cubs were mentioned, the Yankees and Red Sox were caught by MLB a few years ago doing this, not the Cubs

6 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

I just wish they'd give them ear pieces. 

No different than the QBs and LBs in football. 

Stop messing around with signs from the 1850s. 

SEC and ACC have been doing this for 2 (maybe 3) seasons now.  Little reliever pack attached to chest protector, earpiece in ear, bench has a walkie.  Unfortunately I have seen some that still go a look at the wrist card to decipher what was said. 

cant believe MLB/MiLB haven’t advanced it  

image.jpeg.40da0152353e8803080ca0665381a89d.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

SEC and ACC have been doing this for 2 (maybe 3) seasons now.  Little reliever pack attached to chest protector, earpiece in ear, bench has a walkie.  Unfortunately I have seen some that still go a look at the wrist card to decipher what was said. 

cant believe MLB/MiLB haven’t advanced it  

image.jpeg.40da0152353e8803080ca0665381a89d.jpeg

You got it. People are copy-cats. Many times, it's not done b/c the staffs likely aren't overly tech savvy. It's not like they don't have the budget for it.

We'll see it eventually...somebody needs to do it first...then the rest will follow (assuming they make a rule to allow it) 

Mound visits could be eliminated, you want to speed the game up, go with the headsets. That's as close to a guarantee as you're gonna get on cutting minutes off of game times. 

This is the first I’d heard of using ear pieces in this way. My initial reaction is that it seems like a great idea, but my question is, would it put the catcher, or any other player using one, at a disadvantage by cutting off hearing in one ear? So I agree it has a lot of potential for helping the game, but there could be some drawbacks... 

On the other hand... cheaters are essentially forcing the sport in this direction... 

19 hours ago, The Short Umpire said:

My initial reaction is that it seems like a great idea, but my question is, would it put the catcher, or any other player using one, at a disadvantage by cutting off hearing in one ear?

I wore similar setups for over a dozen years. The only time it prevented me from focusing on outside noises was when someone was talking. Based on this only being used for pitching signs, that shouldn't affect any hearing during play.

9 hours ago, kylejt said:

Y'all do understand that any sort of wireless comms can be hacked, right? 

The NFL has been using them for years and, AFAIK, no issues. I know the comments to the on-field helmets are still coded, so I'd suppose the same would be true for baseball.

Also, with today's technology, you can digitally scramble with auto-channel changing and such. It would take knowing whatever "code" is in their encryption (which can change between games and innings) to "hack".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kylejt said:

Y'all do understand that any sort of wireless comms can be hacked, right? 

Not sure why you would limit this to wireless.  ANY communication can be captured and hacked...the difference is capturing it while in transmission is exponentially more difficult....even more so "in the air"...hard lines are easier to tap.  But no, none of it is impossible.  A motivated hacker can get any piece of information they want, given time.   But typically, it's exponentially easier to capture it either at the source or the destination vs in transit.   In this case, it would be easier to just point a high-powered microphone at the people talking wirelessly than trying to hack the conversation.

You've heard of Deep Fake technology, right?  It's all the rage.  Now imagine Deep Fake videos, in REAL TIME.  It's coming.

It'll probably be draft picks, and the teams will appeal to delay the punishment to the back pages of the sports pages (which no one reads anyways)

The average fan has no clue about this, and worse, doesn't really care. We, as a nation, aren't as passionate about our national pass time as we were when we were kids. 

You want to hamstring a team, remove a roster spot for them for a season. Make the bench a little shorter. That'll send a message. 

17 hours ago, kylejt said:

It'll probably be draft picks, and the teams will appeal to delay the punishment to the back pages of the sports pages (which no one reads anyways)

The average fan has no clue about this, and worse, doesn't really care. We, as a nation, aren't as passionate about our national pass time as we were when we were kids. 

You want to hamstring a team, remove a roster spot for them for a season. Make the bench a little shorter. That'll send a message. 

Can't violate the CBA and reduce a team's roster size. 

41 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Can't violate the CBA and reduce a team's roster size. 

Well damn, I thought that was a good way to punish a team.

Okay, how 'bout taking away the liquor license for their stadium for a year. That'll hit the owners where it hurts.

The punishment has come down:

GM and manager suspended for 1 year, 1st and 2nd round choices taken for 2020 and 2021, max fine of $5MM

Do you think this will basically put the GM (Luhnow) and Manager (Hinch) out of baseball for good?    Or do you think someone will hire them after they serve their year of suspension?

Wait until the Red Sox get their penalty...Cora will get TWO years - one for each year he did it with each team.

The problem is easy to solve - get the monitors out of the clubhouses and dugouts - they were put there as part of the replay review system...if the call is so egregiously bad they don't need a monitor to know they want to challenge it...and that's what the replay review system is supposed to support.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, johnnyg08 said:

I just wish they'd give them ear pieces. 

No different than the QBs and LBs in football. 

Stop messing around with signs from the 1850s. 

Not really practical unless only the pitcher or manager calls the pitches...the catcher really can't say anything without the batter hearing...and in most scenarios the catcher calls the majority of, if not all, the game.

It also gets problematic with signs to the batter and baserunners - in football the coach communicates with one player on offense and one on defense, and then they relay to their teammates, usually out of earshot of other players...a little more difficult in baseball, and the more ear pieces, the more chance for failure.  NFL has pretty well thought out rules about timing, and what happens if one team's equipment fails - not sure if it's really achievable in baseball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Do you think this will basically put the GM (Luhnow) and Manager (Hinch) out of baseball for good?    Or do you think someone will hire them after they serve their year of suspension?

Luhnow's too talented to not get picked up somewhere else...with a short leash on the culture of his staff.

Hinch is a hack, and may be done for good.

• Like 1