johnnyg08

One of the first called third strikes with the Computer Umpire

EXACTLY what I expected ..........  a poorly received pitch that hits the zone and LOOKS terrible but actually is a strike as it crosses the front edge of the plate .....  BOOM!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

EXACTLY what I expected ..........  a poorly received pitch that hits the zone and LOOKS terrible but actually is a strike as it crosses the front edge of the plate .....  BOOM!  

I must be a computer..   I call the front edge of the plate no different than the rest of the plate corners and etc sometimes my partner says I'm calling it low but If in my judgment its knee high at the front of the plate but drops and bounces  near the catcher ( mind you this is LL so arms are sometimes weaker)  I call it..

I call it the same for both teams and sometimes they both complain.. but at least the both know I call it for them both. 

8 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I must be a computer..   I call the front edge of the plate no different than the rest of the plate corners and etc sometimes my partner says I'm calling it low but If in my judgment its knee high at the front of the plate but drops and bounces  near the catcher ( mind you this is LL so arms are sometimes weaker)  I call it..

I call it the same for both teams and sometimes they both complain.. but at least the both know I call it for them both. 

You're not a computer, ... that's where it's supposed to be judged regardless .......

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

While I agree -- I also think this is part of why they are experimenting with it.  Either they will decide that this is the zone and results they want, or they will change the definition such that the ball must both enter (at the front) and leave (at the back) in the zone in order to be a strike -- that latter is (about) the expectations of most players / coaches / leagues (HS and above, at least) today. (This is for up-down; in-out might be different, but you could have the same criteria if the plate was enlarged as they are experimenting with for other bases)

• Like 1

@ArchAngel72 I was watching an 8/9/10 district championship game last night.  When Team A changes it's pitcher to a kid throwing harder that the previous one,  Team B backs their batters up to the back edge of the box. Consequently, the catcher backs up a little.  Remember, ....8/9/10 y/o..........  Catcher now catching the ball about 6 inches off the ground for "called strikes".  Team B parents start to come unglued. 

I find out about this after the fact as I am at the concession stand partaking in the wonderful treats that they have prepared for me that evening.  I hear the commotion from there.

I get back, and ask SWMBO what I had missed.  She explains the (above) situation to me.  Now, many of the parents know me from umpiring LL all over the district for years.  I had that E.F.Hutton feeling (you young folks can google the E.F. Hutton commercials) for a moment when I retorted to SWMBO that "just because the players move back, doesn't move where the strike zone is located over home plate".  SWMBO calmly stated, "that's what I told them".

.........I think it's about time to get her a uniform.  This father/son umpiring duo has been done before.  I'm considering the Husband/Wife duo.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Plate ump is wearing an earpiece and the ball/strike call by the computer is sent to the earpiece.

I read an article where the home plate ump said that if he thought the computer had made a mistake he would call a ball/strike based on what he saw.  Obviously he agreed with the computer that it was a strike.

OR, the computer could have said ball and he changed it to a strike!

1 minute ago, Lou B said:

Plate ump is wearing an earpiece and the ball/strike call by the computer is sent to the earpiece.

I read an article where the home plate ump said that if he thought the computer had made a mistake he would call a ball/strike based on what he saw.  Obviously he agreed with the computer that it was a strike.

OR, the computer could have said ball and he changed it to a strike!

No.  based on his delay ....and his reaction to the batter staring at him (pointed to his ear) .... he had that low like we all did .....then "ping"??  :D 

2 things:

1. If I had a computer telling me what to call, then I am not doing the chainsaw.  A simple strike call is all I would do.  There is nothing to sell.

2. If I had a computer telling me the pitch is a strike, there is no way I am changing it to a ball.  Though I may change a ball to a strike.

3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

If I had a computer telling me what to call, then I am not doing the chainsaw.

We might need a new mechanic for that...

4 minutes ago, maven said:

We might need a new mechanic for that...

How about a simple point to the ear followed by an out mechanic?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

If I had a computer telling me the pitch is a strike, there is no way I am changing it to a ball.  Though I may change a ball to a strike.

An exception of course being when the ball hits the dirt two feet in front of the plate and bounces up into the zone and the computer calls it a strike.

2 minutes ago, Lou B said:

An exception of course being when the ball hits the dirt two feet in front of the plate and bounces up into the zone and the computer calls it a strike.

Exactly. I think these are the ones that the umpire can over ride. 

My guess is that they are not encouraged to over ride pitches like the one in the video. 

Listen to Brian talk about it here:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Well, if the computer is calling strikes framing/receiving becomes obsolete and irrelevant.

This to me could be used as a more positive exercise to what the strike zone should really be.   I don't think any fan of the game wants that called a strike...so...change the strike zone.

so let's take it to the extreme......framing/receiving pitches irrelevant,..... therefore less training for catchers?.........strike zone changes because the multi million dollar paydays aren't enough,...... therefore, loosen up the requirements for enshrinement in Cooperstown??  yes, sarcastic intentions there.  I'm not one that "normally" knocks change, especially when it's for the better.  In this case, I'll plead that I'm (not really) from Missouri and you'll need to "Show Me" how this is improving the game.  Right now, I just don't see it. 

2 hours ago, grayhawk said:

How about a simple point to the ear followed by an out mechanic?

How about the invisible computer mouse and the umpire is scrolling to find the bottom of the invisible zone.  On that pitch the scroll takes much longer.

45 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Well, if the computer is calling strikes framing/receiving becomes obsolete and irrelevant.

This to me could be used as a more positive exercise to what the strike zone should really be.   I don't think any fan of the game wants that called a strike...so...change the strike zone.

I think you missed my point.  Framing/receiving has nothing to do with it, I get that .... and that's the point..... now what USED TO LOOK AWFUL could very well be a strike!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grayhawk said:

2 things:

1. If I had a computer telling me what to call, then I am not doing the chainsaw.  A simple strike call is all I would do.  There is nothing to sell.

2. If I had a computer telling me the pitch is a strike, there is no way I am changing it to a ball.  Though I may change a ball to a strike.

A "chainsaw" is simply a strike 3 mechanic, regardless of whos calling it, yes? ;) 

A "chainsaw" is simply a strike 3 mechanic, regardless of whos calling it, yes?  

I think the irony flew past me. Not sure I understand.

I think the irony flew past me. Not sure I understand.
Don't look at the chainsaw as necessarily a sell but strictly just an out mechanic for strike three..... therefore, it doesn't matter whether a computer or an Umpire is making the call the batter is out which is what the chainsaw is signifying

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't look at the chainsaw as necessarily a sell but strictly just an out mechanic for strike three..... therefore, it doesn't matter whether a computer or an Umpire is making the call the batter is out which is what the chainsaw is signifying

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Think of the reason for the development of the emphatic called strike 3 mechanic. It was to sell the call! Same reason for coming up big on a banger.
  • Like 1