Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4763 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was umpiring a 16U game. I was BU. There was a close play at 3rd. I called the runner out. The runner and coach were saying that they think he went around the tag. I said "He tagged your leg." and walked away. On his way to the dugout, he said quite loudly "Horrible!" and threw his helmet. I ejected him for that. I know it doesn't seem like much, but in this league, you're not allowed to throw equipment. It is an automatic ejection. The rule reads as such: "It is the responsibility of team officials to ensure that playing equipment is not abused. Players who abuse equipment will be ejected from the game."

 

After the ejection, my partner (again, the same as my post "Easy") said that I should have ignored the throwing of the helmet. He said "If you learn to look away, you will eject less people and it will avoid headaches" and "MLB umpires are under heat nowadays because they are so quick to eject players." I like doing games with him, he is a confident umpire, not like a lot of guys I do games with, but I find he is such an old school style umpire. He has been umpiring for something like 30+ years.

Thoughts?

Posted

Throwing equipment in protest of call is a one way ticket in every level. Tell your partner to grow a pair.

  • Like 4
Posted

WIthout knowing him personally, and by just going off your post, his attitude makes your job, and every other umpire that calls where he does, more difficult.

 

If there's one thing "ejecting less people" DOESN'T do, it's avoid headaches.  Quite the opposite, actually.

  • Like 3
Posted

WIthout knowing him personally, and by just going off your post, his attitude makes your job, and every other umpire that calls where he does, more difficult.

 

If there's one thing "ejecting less people" DOESN'T do, it's avoid headaches.  Quite the opposite, actually.

If you could read my other posts named "Easy" and "My Newest One" to maybe judge.

Posted

It doesn't avoid headaches, it just transfers (and magnifies) them to other people.

 

I'm sure he's a wonderful fellow....but he's a coward.

Posted

If he were old school, as you say, he would eject for the wrong series of breathing or looking at him wrong.

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Personally, I like to try to give coaches a warning before ejecting, but there are some things that are simply an immediate ejection. League/association rules would impact here also.

Posted

Personally, I like to try to give coaches a warning before ejecting, but there are some things that are simply an immediate ejection. League/association rules would impact here also.

My bad, I didn't specify who "he" was. The batter was the one who threw the helmet.

Posted

Boom. He gone. And my partner gets a knock it off from me, at the minimum. He might get a fk off if he tries to tell me how to umpire. IDGAF how long he's been calling

  • Like 4
Posted

I was talking to an umpire today that was talking about how his partner and he had thrown both the manager and coach for a team in another tournament. The UIC said he couldn't believe those two particular guys had run two in the same game because he said those two take a ton of crap and never throw. The problem was the umpire was proud of that reputation, being the doormat of the tournament system. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I was talking to an umpire today that was talking about how his partner and he had thrown both the manager and coach for a team in another tournament. The UIC said he couldn't believe those two particular guys had run two in the same game because he said those two take a ton of crap and never throw. The problem was the umpire was proud of that reputation, being the doormat of the tournament system. 

 

Sounds like Jocko around here....... :tongue:

Posted

I was talking to an umpire today that was talking about how his partner and he had thrown both the manager and coach for a team in another tournament. The UIC said he couldn't believe those two particular guys had run two in the same game because he said those two take a ton of crap and never throw. The problem was the umpire was proud of that reputation, being the doormat of the tournament system. 

 Sounds like Jocko around here....... :tongue:,,!,,
  • Like 1
Posted

Firm but fair.  I am usually willing to tell a coach why a call was made but that doesn't mean it is up for review or arguement.  If I want a second opinion, I can ask a review from one of the other umpires if there is one on the bases but it is the calling umpire (the one who has the call) who asks other umpires for help.

 

I think it is important (at least at the lower levels) to work with the coaches and players to an extent, but it my job to umpire and officiate the game properly, not to coach.      Its the players job to play, the coaches job to coach and my job to umpire.

×
×
  • Create New...