• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's disrespectful.  Someone else has to clean that up.  You should learn by kindergarten that you don't throw gum on the ground.  And yes, I think he is a douche.  

Can't figure this out.   It sounds (probably wrongly) like Jordan was chosen instead of you because he is arrogant and cocky and he heard personally from an instructor, that is what they are looking

TOTALLY DIFFERENT ......   You guys can be so two faced it's ridiculous ......   You always pride yourself on acting professional, looking professional, etc, etc, etc .....but throwing NUMEROUS wa

I went with Baker to Wendelstedt in '05, he always had that arrogance and cockiness about him.  He is working as a fill-in because the politics of the game, not because he is better than a Little League umpire.

Not cool. Sounds like sour grapes. Be careful the Baseball Gods don't snipe you!

• Like 1

I went with Baker to Wendelstedt in '05, he always had that arrogance and cockiness about him.  He is working as a fill-in because the politics of the game, not because he is better than a Little League umpire.

Not cool. Sounds like sour grapes. Be careful the Baseball Gods don't snipe you!

And if you talk to the people that know how things work at that level, politics is one of the main reasons the system is whack!!

Gum is a substance that should be banned from any sports complex period. Personally if I could irradicate it from the earth I would. People seem to have no idea how to dispose of it so just ban it everywhere.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

This is from the D'Backs/Cardinals at Busch Stadium.  As a D'backs fan in AZ, I have been watching the whole series on TV and I must say that the announcers have lit Baker up every game for the gum (and a few missed calls).  Even my SWMBO mentioned that she thought it looked bad!

Gum is a substance that should be banned from any sports complex period. Personally if I could irradicate it from the earth I would. People seem to have no idea how to dispose of it so just ban it everywhere.

Completey AGREE.

People look like cows chewing it.

It's disrespectful.  Someone else has to clean that up.  You should learn by kindergarten that you don't throw gum on the ground.  And yes, I think he is a douche.  

Maybe he never attended Kindergarten or any formal school except Umpire School.

Funny thing is yesterday my daughter graduated from Kindergarten.

During a power point slide show, they showed that they learned to pick up and clean up after themselves.

So it is taught in Kindergarten.

She only attends one day a week and the other 4 are Home school.

6 year old kids know better and I hate getting gum on my umpire shoes.

• Like 1

During a power point slide show, they showed that they learned to pick up and clean up after themselves.

I was cleaning my Zig base shoes a couple nights ago and noticed I have gum stuck to the bottom... I was PISSED!!!

I was cleaning my Zig base shoes a couple nights ago and noticed I have gum stuck to the bottom... I was PISSED!!!

"Gum is a substance that should be banned from any sports complex period.

Personally if I could irradicate it from the earth I would.

People seem to have no idea how to dispose of it so just ban it everywhere" mstaylor

This should posted at the entrance to all parks.

People seem to have no idea how to dispose of it so just ban it everywhere" mstaylor

Wow! you guys have a real issue with gum!!   Is it only, as MSTaylor has said, because people don't dispose of it properly, and it makes a mess everywhere, which I concur 100%, or is it just that it does not belong for other reasons?  I chew gum on the field, but only 1 small piece of Dentyne or something, that you can't even see in my mouth, that ends up staying in there for like hours sometimes, but I always dispose of it in the trash.

I think seeds make a lot more of a mess, (lets not even talk about chew!), albeit easier to clean up I guess.  But nothing looks worse to me than a coach/player coming over to talk to you and as he begins to talk stuff is flying out of their mouth.  Please clear your mouth before you want to talk to me.  I hate it when MLB umps do it as well.

People seem to have no idea how to dispose of it so just ban it everywhere" @mstaylor

so true!

Yow!  What else would you require we check at the entrance?  I see plenty of hot dog wrappers flying around - ban hot dogs!  Water bottles too! 

You and Bloomberg - separated at birth.  :cool:

This thread is cracking me up!  So one idiot who should know better acts like a two year old and we ban gum???  So because some careless individuals drink and drive we should ban beer?  I like my gum and I like my beer and I am responsible with both!

• Like 2

Yow!  What else would you require we check at the entrance?  I see plenty of hot dog wrappers flying around - ban hot dogs!  Water bottles too! 

Bloomberg is a flippin' nut. Hot dog wrappers don't stick to everything in sight. 

• Like 1

Bloomberg is a flippin' nut. Hot dog wrappers don't stick to everything in sight. 

hahahha.  I almost agree with you on the gum, though.  I was on the giving end of that gum foot last weekend.  Got back to our car with my partner between games of a DH to change plate/base gear and I spit my gum out - it hit the grass and kicked onto the asphalt just as a woman with flip-flops was walking by.  Oops.   

Can't figure this out.

It sounds (probably wrongly) like Jordan was chosen instead of you because he is arrogant and cocky and he heard personally from an instructor, that is what they are looking for, and since you were not arrogant and cocky, or refused to be that way (good for you) that they did not pick you. Of course you may not have even been going for a job but this statement does not make sense.

Are they just looking for guys who are arrogant and cocky and no other umpiring skills? Is this the politics.

Is this guy Jordan, somebody's son, and they only take famous people's children or relatives. Is this the politics and only way. Are there no umpires in MLB who did not have a relative that was an MLBU.

I would like to know, because I overheard some people at a game one time this year talking about one of the umpires on the field interested in going to the school. If he has no relatives that are MLBU and that is the qualification, I think he should know this if he wants a job. If he just wants to go to get better, then the relative connection does not matter. Or, if that does not matter, do I need to tell him to just be arrogant and cocky and everything will be fine if he wants a job. I would like to tell him ahead of time what they are looking for, if others like Jordan knew ahead of time. I guess if arrogant and cocky are what they are looking for, and he is not arrogant or cocky, or refuses to be this way, then he should be told he will not get a job, and just go to the school if he really wants to learn more.

What is it that one needs to do to get a job, that you figured out but refused to do, and therefor did not get a job, if you even wanted a job. That information needs to be passed along in all good consciousness as people decide to go to the school or not.

This is just kinda interesting and I have never heard about the politics at umpire school, and what politics to use to get a job, and a student who could have had the job but refused to play the politics. I just didn't know this could happen at the school. I am just taken aback by this.

• Like 3

A couple of years ago I did work some games at a complex where SEEDS were banned by the City.

It turned out the City Official who was trying to enforce it was using something similar to 9.01c and there actually was no ordinance against it.

Chew all the gum you want, just dispose of it properly.

Can't figure this out.

It sounds (probably wrongly) like Jordan was chosen instead of you because he is arrogant and cocky and he heard personally from an instructor, that is what they are looking for, and since you were not arrogant and cocky, or refused to be that way (good for you) that they did not pick you. Of course you may not have even been going for a job but this statement does not make sense.

Are they just looking for guys who are arrogant and cocky and no other umpiring skills? Is this the politics.

Is this guy Jordan, somebody's son, and they only take famous people's children or relatives. Is this the politics and only way. Are there no umpires in MLB who did not have a relative that was an MLBU.

I would like to know, because I overheard some people at a game one time this year talking about one of the umpires on the field interested in going to the school. If he has no relatives that are MLBU and that is the qualification, I think he should know this if he wants a job. If he just wants to go to get better, then the relative connection does not matter. Or, if that does not matter, do I need to tell him to just be arrogant and cocky and everything will be fine if he wants a job. I would like to tell him ahead of time what they are looking for, if others like Jordan knew ahead of time. I guess if arrogant and cocky are what they are looking for, and he is not arrogant or cocky, or refuses to be this way, then he should be told he will not get a job, and just go to the school if he really wants to learn more.

What is it that one needs to do to get a job, that you figured out but refused to do, and therefor did not get a job, if you even wanted a job. That information needs to be passed along in all good consciousness as people decide to go to the school or not.

This is just kinda interesting and I have never heard about the politics at umpire school, and what politics to use to get a job, and a student who could have had the job but refused to play the politics. I just didn't know this could happen at the school. I am just taken aback by this.

I'm curious about this as well.

I've heard from someone (who would know) that MLB is really trying to get blacks and hispanics into the league so as to make it seem like they are more diverse.  I imagine it will be pretty tough because most white guys, who statistically have more resources available to them, have difficulty rounding up $3-4k for the school, so I can't even imagine the burden blacks and hispanics face just to get through Wendelstedt's or TUS's door.

Just an interesting thought and I'm sure it's not a new revelation as far as the playing field not being equal for everyone, but if MLB is just going to push minorities into the full-time gigs for the sake of diversity, then controversies in regard to umpires (even with expanded instant replay) haven't even begun in earnest.