http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=27742941

In a season where the umpires are under more than enough scrutiny, we have Jordan Baker(A call up) being a Douche Bag!...Why, this isn't little league, its not High School, it's Major League Baseball. And he thinks its okay to do this?...I can't wait to hear someone, anyone try to defend this...There is no reason to have wads and wads of gum in the Outfield!

You aren't as cool as you think you are! :no:  :tantrum:  :shakehead:

• Like 1

Now we have 2 threads on the same topic. I guess I don't see the problem (well, maybe on turf...). But seriously, who cares?

Gum tossing makes you a d-bag? In the other thread, the poster claimed Baker makes us all look bad? Nope, don't see it at all.

Now we have 2 threads on the same topic. I guess I don't see the problem (well, maybe on turf...). But seriously, who cares?

Gum tossing makes you a d-bag? In the other thread, the poster claimed Baker makes us all look bad? Nope, don't see it at all.

Trying to get them merged now ....

Are you kidding?

Answer this maven ... why WOULD you do this?

Look, I've thrown gum on a field before.  At most two pieces over the course of a day.  And on fields that aren't expertly manicured where it's visible, like this.

This is not the kind of attention a AAA call-up wants, I wouldn't think.

I went with Baker to Wendelstedt in '05, he always had that arrogance and cockiness about him.  He is working as a fill-in because the politics of the game, not because he is better than a Little League umpire.

• Like 1

WGAS? when we start counting the number of sunflower seeds players spit out then ill take this thread seriously

Are you kidding?

Me? I throw my gum in the trash can. :)

But then, I'm allowed to leave the field between innings.

I just can't see getting bent out of shape about this. :shrug:

WGAS? when we start counting the number of sunflower seeds players spit out then ill take this thread seriously

TOTALLY DIFFERENT ......

You guys can be so two faced it's ridiculous ......

You always pride yourself on acting professional, looking professional, etc, etc, etc .....but throwing NUMEROUS wads of gum into the outfield is no big deal?  If I were a player and got gum all over my cleats, I'd be pissed!   And the grounds crew, .... come one guys, you can't say this is acceptable [but maybe you can] :shakehead:

• Like 3

Wads of gum are a bit different than sunflower seeds.  Just my spin on it.

Wads of gum are a bit different than sunflower seeds.  Just my spin on it.

I get that but I think were making something out of nothing here... im sure players do the same thing

• Like 1

Are you kidding?

ML umpires routinely leave the field between innings.  It's a rare game where a ML umpire or two (other than the plate guy) doesn't go in to use the bathroom.  He could easily head over to the dugout to dispose of the gum.

Hell, watching them do it has changed me -- if I'm on the bases and  have to take a leak in the 3rd or 4th inning and there's a bathroom nearby, I do it.  Why be uncomfortable for an hour or more?

You guys honestly kill me...Its Not 1 piece, not 2, not 3...more like 6-7 pieces of gum....FOR WHAT? Becasue you think it makes you look cool? because you are trying to leave your "Mark" on the field?!?!? You want to leave your "Mark" make a call like Dan Iassogna in a World Series game!

If a player wants to spit gum all of the field then go for it...its "Their" field! An Umpire has 0 reason to be dropping "Gum-Turds" all over the F'n place!

• Like 1

Are you kidding?

Ok then! So your answer is no, you would'nt do this .....

No one is 'bent out of shape' ...but it is uncalled for and it does look bad, ....Trakes has a point!

If it's starting to create a problem, why continue doing it? 

Let's not forget that players and managers do this kind of thing all the time, but umpires aren't players or managers, are they?

You guys honestly kill me...Its Not 1 piece, not 2, not 3...more like 6-7 pieces of gum....FOR WHAT? Becasue you think it makes you look cool? because you are trying to leave your "Mark" on the field?!?!? You want to leave your "Mark" make a call like Dan Iassogna in a World Series game!

If a player wants to spit gum all of the field then go for it...its "Their" field! An Umpire has 0 reason to be dropping "Gum-Turds" all over the F'n place!

Trakes .... 6 or 7??? Look at the picture from the article in the first post??

gumump060513.jpg

Line drive accumulates 3 pieces of d-bags bubble gum........... Gents, I see a 9.01c disclaimer looming..... :sarcasm:

My gum goes in my tummy.  No reason at all to litter a field with gum. 

It's rude.  If that were one of my umpires, we would be having a conversation.  

• Like 1

It's rude and inappropriate and unprofessional, but it's not exactly a scandal or a travesty. It's deserving of a 'dude, knock it off' but since it's the Summer of Umpire Bashing, this is clearly front-page news.

• Like 1

It's disrespectful.  Someone else has to clean that up.  You should learn by kindergarten that you don't throw gum on the ground.  And yes, I think he is a douche.  

• Like 5

I wrap my gum back in its wrapper and then throw it away when I leave the field. Larry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TOTALLY DIFFERENT ......

You guys can be so two faced it's ridiculous ......

You always pride yourself on acting professional, looking professional, etc, etc, etc .....but throwing NUMEROUS wads of gum into the outfield is no big deal?  If I were a player and got gum all over my cleats, I'd be pissed!   And the grounds crew, .... come one guys, you can't say this is acceptable [but maybe you can] :shakehead:

Jeff is on the money here. What a poor example for all.

You guys honestly kill me...Its Not 1 piece, not 2, not 3...more like 6-7 pieces of gum....FOR WHAT?

It's how he keeps track of the innings so he know when the game is over.  Seems like a good idea to me.

• Like 2