Jersey color for night games - black or navy blue?

MSLLPrez

Greetings umpires! I run a growing youth baseball league in Miami and we are fortunate that our roster of umpires is growing. I like to keep the umps looking sharp and we have been providing powder blue shirts for all, especially for the newer umps. But what I have noticed from our more experienced umps is for a night game they wear a dark shirt. So with more night games coming in the Spring 2022 season, I need to pick a dark colored shirt for all umps, as it looks odd, to me, when the home plate ump is in black and the base umps are in powder blue for a night game (maybe I am wrong on that?) Anyway, figured I would ask the experts here if there is a universal preference when it comes to the color of the umpire jersey for night games - what looks sharp and shows your league is organized - black umpire jerseys or navy blue umpire jerseys? Thanks for your feedback.

Bonus question - should base umpires have the same cap, and if so, is there a preferred style? For now they are all wearing black Miami Marlins caps, but would be nice to create something unique to our league. Thanks again for your time. 

I second black as the color choice. I'm one of the crazy people that like to wear black even in the day games.  Yes, it's hot - but so it powder blue, cream, red, navy, etc.  When it's 95 degrees, I don't care what you wear - it's hot!  The MLB guys wear black even in day games also.

Black looks better, is thinning and matches all of our equipment better too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MadMax will tell you he has a shirt/mask combo for ever 4 hour time block of the day, but us mere mortals must play the hand we are dealt. 

First off, navy is a terrible choice so just avoid that at all costs. 

You are not wrong that it looks terrible when one umpire is in powder/sky blue and the other is in black, unless its jacket weather, which I am guessing you don't see much in Miami. If I were you I would go with this shirt, IMO it is the most professional looking (that is why the pros wear it) and the most comfortable. You could also poll your current umpires that are wearing black and see which is the most popular style and then you could go with that. 

For hats, I am sure you could get something like this hat from the same supplier you get your league hats from.  *Note on umpire hats: They come in 3 bill length; 8-stitch, 6-Stitch, & 4-stitch* If I was ordering for an association I would avoid 8 stitch hats as those are generally not recommended for use under a mask and you could provide a 6 which they could use for plate and base. If you have room in the budget you could order some 4-stitch hats as well. Some umpires (myself included) prefer that behind the plate, if you don't have room in the budget you could always do it for a cost to the umpire. 

I like a logo on the hat. I think it looks professional, and if you are providing it they cant say "well I didn't want to buy another hat". I would go with something Simple like MSLL or MSUA across the front. 

First, the only folks it matters to is a sub-set of other umpires. 98.3% of non-umpires couldn't care less what color we wear, or, if we match. 

A number of years ago a retired MiLB umpire donated dozens of Honig's navy jerseys to my Jr. umpire program. Another donor bought us at least a dozen navy pull over jackets. So to dump them to go to another color would be silly in my case. 

Umpires that come to my park (LL, for reference) are free to wear whatever they wish. 

Now, that all said, it's called a "uniform" for a reason. I do like that we all match out there, and I personally have a full kaleidoscope of colors I travel with. I also have a few of most colors in my dressing room at my park. So our baseline is match if you can. 

Now, navy shirts have been pretty consistent for around 20 years, with red and white stripes on the collars. Black, on the other hand, several different variants (small white stripes, white down the sides, charcoal side panels, etc). So when you say black, you need to be specific (for those who care). 

20 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Thought you Jersey Boys were moving to black? 

Other parts of the state are breaking the color barrier, but down the shore its still navy. Younger guys are pushing, but the pushback from seniors is firm. I have my black just I meet up with @Richvee or @Kevin_K.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LMSANS said:

Other parts of the state are breaking the color barrier, but down the shore its still navy. Younger guys are pushing, but the pushback from seniors is firm. I have my black just I meet up with @Richvee or @Kevin_K.

Around these parts there are two interesting correlations associated with wearing navy. It seems the more they remain steadfast with the long standing color scheme, the less likely they are to own a hanger and the more likely they are to be deficient in one or more key skill sets that umpire should possess.

"I only have blue" is often the precursor to a day of interesting mechanics, artistic interpretations of the strike zone, and/or judgment that makes the decisions of the Donner Party seem sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

Around these parts there are two interesting correlations associated with wearing navy. It seems the more they remain steadfast with the long standing color scheme, the less likely they are to own a hanger and the more likely they are to be deficient in one or more key skill sets that umpire should possess.

"I only have blue" is often the precursor to a day of interesting mechanics, artistic interpretations of the strike zone, and/or judgment that makes the decisions of the Donner Party seem sound.

Truth often provides the best comedy. Thanks for the laugh. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:25 AM, Kevin_K said:

The universality & accuracy of this is remarkable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

I come late to this thread and not one of you asked what color the ball bags are?

South Florida must use pastel colors, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Well with the black hat and shirt it should be black.

But my rebel arse would wear grey to make everyone here cringe