You make the call ......

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3294 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

That's an Out.

The Yahoo Sports writer of that article is an idiot.

The umpire was caught with his Plate Pants down... There's a smidge of benefit-of-the-doubt in a dive, but not a feet-first vaulting of a fielder. Besides that, the Vanderbilt Play was a dive, at around knee-thigh-height, around the catcher (F2). His feet never left the turf more than six or so inches. If I remember correctly, there's a provision in the rules about how high a runner can jump, and I thought it was "knee-height".

This kid has a future as a long-jumper, but today, he's Out (or should have been).

2. Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal. (2-32-1, 2) Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground. Diving over a fielder is illegal.

8.4.2 SITUATION A:

On a play at the plate, F2, who is on his knees, is about to receive the throw. R1 decides to hurdle F2 or jump over him feet-first.

RULING: The runner is out. A runner is entitled to slide legally or legally attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball waiting to make the tag. Going over the top of the fielder who is not lying on the ground by hurdling, jumping over or diving over the fielder is dangerous and, therefore, illegal. A runner may jump or hurdle a fielder, who is lying on the ground, but diving over a fielder always is illegal.

That's an Out.

The umpire was caught with his Plate Pants down... There's a smidge of benefit-of-the-doubt in a dive, but not a feet-first vaulting of a fielder. Besides that, the Vanderbilt Play was a dive, at around knee-thigh-height, around the catcher (F2). His feet never left the turf more than six or so inches. If I remember correctly, there's a provision in the rules about how high a runner can jump, and I thought it was "knee-height".

This kid has a future as a long-jumper, but today, he's Out (or should have been).

First, I doubt this was a fed game.  Probably some OBR-based rules, so jumping is allowed (unless the specific code disallows it.)

Second, in FED, there's no restriction on the height of a jump -- and certainly not knee height.  The only restriction is that the jump can't be over a fielder, unless the fielder is lying on the ground.  The runner can also jump over the arms of a fielder, even if the jump is more than "knee height."  Diving is always illegal in FED.

Out. 8.4.2A

Screen_Shot_2015_04_02_at_12_04_00_PM.pn

I might have a jump over the outstretched arm which would be legal in FED.

@Jimurray .... you don't have that....I know you don't :nod:

HTBT for a better angle but I might or might not.

fixed :wave:

When I freeze it at 5secs I see more of a jump over the arms. Like I said, HTBT, there being 3BX. Who's John Gray. We all do agree that FED allows jumping over an outstretched arm?

That's an Out.

Would you mind citing the "knee high" rule location.

@johngray

Please don't be too cute by half. NO ONE sees just a hurdle over a fielders arms. Since I had to post it (for you) on the FB thread, I guess I have to do it here:

ART. 2 . . . Any runner is out when he:

b. does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play, or on a force play, does not slide in a direct line between the bases;

2. Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal. (2-32-1, 2) 2. Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal. (2-32-1, 2) Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground..

Friggin iPad:

Wish I had the FED Rules by topic in ebook - but here's what it says:

Rationale

For the safety of both players involved, the fielder must be lying on the groundfor jumping, hurdling, or leaping to be legal. Since 1994 diving has been illegal no matter the position of the fielder because of the potential injury to the runner

8.4.2 Situation T: On a play at the plate F2 is on his knees. R1 decides to hurdle F2 or jump over him feet first. Ruling: the runner is out immediately and unless he makes contact or alters the play of F2, the ball remains alive.

So the next time I'm on the field with John Gray, and he makes an inexplicable ruling (like this), I become an OFI (Outfield Fence inspector), and he's on his own

8 hrs · Like

• Like 2

@johngray

Please don't be too cute by half. NO ONE sees just a hurdle over a fielders arms. Since I had to post it (for you) on the FB thread, I guess I have to do it here:

b. does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play, or on a force play, does not slide in a direct line between the bases;

2. Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal. (2-32-1, 2) 2. Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal. (2-32-1, 2) Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground..

Friggin iPad:

Rationale

For the safety of both players involved, the fielder must be lying on the groundfor jumping, hurdling, or leaping to be legal. Since 1994 diving has been illegal no matter the position of the fielder because of the potential injury to the runner

8.4.2 Situation T: On a play at the plate F2 is on his knees. R1 decides to hurdle F2 or jump over him feet first. Ruling: the runner is out immediately and unless he makes contact or alters the play of F2, the ball remains alive.

So the next time I'm on the field with John Gray, and he makes an inexplicable ruling (like this), I become an OFI (Outfield Fence inspector), and he's on his own

8 hrs · Like

Why post the rule? Everyone on this site knows it. The question is did the runner jump over the outstretched arms or over the fielder. How is that inexplicable? The catchers body is perpendicular to the batters box line and centered on the plate as the runner approaches. After @mavins screen grab the catcher is turning to the right and trying to tag the runner who is jumping over his arms. That being said, until I'm in 3BX in that sit it could go either way in FED. And, I suspect, if this was Utrip, they don't address jumping over an arm and this should have been called

@johngray

Friggin iPad:

Rationale

8 hrs · Like

Why post the rule? Everyone on this site knows it. The question is did the runner jump over the outstretched arms or over the fielder. How is that inexplicable? The catchers body is perpendicular to the batters box line and centered on the plate as the runner approaches. After @mavins screen grab the catcher is turning to the right and trying to tag the runner who is jumping over his arms. That being said, until I'm in 3BX in that sit it could go either way in FED. And, I suspect, if this was Utrip, they don't address jumping over an arm and this should have been called

USSSA says jumping (leaping, diving) is not to be interpreted as seeking to avoid contact.  Who came up with that gem?  Just say it's illegal if that's what you want.

@johngray

Friggin iPad:

Rationale

8 hrs · Like

You sir are INDEED John Gray.  

• Like 1

@johngray

Friggin iPad:

Rationale

8 hrs · Like

I would suggest not doing FB. I don't do it. It appears, as far as BB rules/umpiring subjects go, that you will be arguing with fools. Aside from @JaxRolo's site which I suspect will go downhill also. I am not John Gray. He might be a fool or not. I'm not a fool but I have been wrong.

@johngray

Friggin iPad:

Rationale

8 hrs · Like

I would suggest not doing FB. I don't do it. It appears, as far as BB rules/umpiring subjects go, that you will be arguing with fools. Aside from @JaxRolo's site which I suspect will go downhill also. I am not John Gray. He might be a fool or not. I'm not a fool but I have been wrong.

Jimurray, I like you. You always post interesting remarks. But today you have John Gray characteristics. You might or might not be John Gray, but if it looks like poop and smells like poop it might just be poop. I'm just sayin.

Games worked 48

For those that traverse the FB group consistently, you will thoroughly understand why I appreciate the new verbiage for someone 'being a John Gray'. That is now one of the top 3 reasons I come to this site haha Yall rock!

• Like 2

For me, to see ANYTHING OTHER than a runner jumping over this catcher just befuddles me completely.  The catchers entire body is in front of the plate, the runner leaps completely over him and lands on the other side of the plate and touches HP w/ his right hand as he lands.  It is what it is.

We are referring to Rolando's page (Umpires - Federation Rules) ....  and I'm convinced there are people on there that just post to piss people off.

• Like 4