Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3593 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

i dont have a ball-on-a-stick and while my beautiful fiance was giving my sternum hell, i would guess we were simulating the impact from a pitch more along the lines of 70mph or so. Worry not though, fellow umpires, more videos of harder testing to come shortly!

I smell a member of the month nomination!!!! :D

lol. Already done.
  • Like 1

i dont have a ball-on-a-stick and while my beautiful fiance was giving my sternum hell, i would guess we were simulating the impact from a pitch more along the lines of 70mph or so. Worry not though, fellow umpires, more videos of harder testing to come shortly!

the weapon pictured is a standard oversized driver with the handle broken.

the pain was along the lines of a thump, or a small childs punch. i surely felt it but the discomfort was minimal. i would not recommend this chest protector for the umpire who wishes to not feel anything when a ball strikes him, then again, i probably wouldnt recommend they umpire at all if that is the case.

Here are some stats to help get you calibrated with the tools you are using:

Avreage driver club head weight: 204 grams which = aprox 7.19 ounces

Average weight of a baseball 5 ounces

Average swing speed of LPGA golfer on Tour 62mph

So I would assume that in the short distance that your Fiancee is swinging, she is only getting up to 20-40 MPH max.

http://youtu.be/NJuB_nHkmVk

just before this video I pointed at my collar bone and directed my fiancee to aim there. when she impacted the hard plastic plates that sit atop the shoulders and collar bone, i could feel next to nothing, like you would expect from any top-of-the-line protector. As for my confidence level, it is very high leading up to tonight's batting cage test.

• Like 1

LOL at "Harder!".

Insert all your jokes here ---------------------->>

yeah, if i could re-do it i would keep my mouth shut (said that before) but this video was taken without any pre-testing and i asked my assistant to work up to full force.

I have just received permission from the owner of a local batting cage to come on down and perform my experiment. The bad news is that 70mph is the top speed of the pitches in front of which I will be standing. :rock:nod: only 364 days until hockey try-outs...

• Like 1

I have just received permission from the owner of a local batting cage to come on down and perform my experiment. The bad news is that 70mph is the top speed of the pitches in front of which I will be standing. :rock:nod: only 364 days until hockey try-outs...

70 is a decent speed.

what? I'm standing in front of the cage just about to walk in but I thought Umpire-Empire was standing right behind me with a big fat insurance policy?!?

serious now, I am at the cages, dressed out and waiting my turn. The owner has agreed to supervise and we have reached a gentlemen's agreement with regards to the liability. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH46ElvSBW8

the first run :rock did my best not to rip my mask off, point at the machine and yell some voice-cracking nonsense! As this was the very first test I started with softballs at only 60 mph. I will say that I felt quite a bit more than with my hard-plate protector, but still not enough to flinch with the dugouts looking. The first ball caught no part of the protector, just my upper bicep.

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4MVquR5DSQ

Colonel Sandurz: Ludicrous speed?! Sir, we've never gone that fast before! I don't know if this ship can take it! Dark Helmet: What's the matter Colonel Sandurz? Chicken?

Pitching machine cranked to "11", all she's got is 70 mph. The first shot is directly to the "gap protection" plate that covers the collar bone. The second is a pectoral shot. The third.. there is no third. I ain't a crazy man. And I am no worse for the wear.

• Like 4

Holy Cornelio's!!!

He even wore his uniform! Good Job! There shouldn't even be a contender for MOTM!!! Automatic win!

Damn skippy! Warren, if all nominated contenders withdraw, can motoump win unopposed? If so, I'm out.

Holy Cornelio's!!!

He even wore his uniform! Good Job! There shouldn't even be a contender for MOTM!!! Automatic win!

even his plate shoes. I like when he looks at the camera like :WTF: after all those wild pitches.

First of all, I am just glad to have something to offer to this forum that helps me almost daily. Thank YOU, Umpire-Empire.

Now, the goods! I drove home with red marks on my chest. By the time i got home they were all but gone, and the never were as deep as an open-hand slap would have left but this should give you some idea as to what kind of protection this CP offers. I will wear the Unequal CP in every level of ball shy of say college/minor leagues. I believe that the light weight/custom fit more than makes up for the lack of hard plastic up to the point when the pitches are regularly 85+. But, and I think this is what we all wanted to know, for me the invincibility of the hard-shell protectors is worth a little extra sweat at speeds higher than that. I know I said Im not afraid to feel a foul, but once you reach a certain point why would you want to?

• Like 4

Bravo, KFord. Thanks for your 1st hand real world road test. You took a couple of good shots. I know have the information I need to make an informed, educated decision. You most certainly have my vote for MOTM.

• Like 1