Dangling Throat Guard

GerryB
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2208 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been ambivalent about using a "dangler". Isn't the mask extension enough?

Yesterday in a D3 game, a D300 catcher passed on a 92 mph pitch. My partner the PU caught it in the throat/upper CP padding; it completely missed his extension and he has an excellent stance. Scary. He choked and gasped for a while, but insisted on finishing the last inning and a half. His voice was low and hoarse after the game.

OK, I'm putting one on each of my masks...

• Like 4

You spend mucho to protect yourself from taking a shot to all parts of your body, most of which result in non-fatal outcomes.  Why would anyone not spend ~$10 to protect themselves from a shot to the front of the neck (blunt neck trauma) which can be fatal?  For me, it's no brainer.

https://www.utmb.edu/otoref/Grnds/blunt-neck-inj-2010-12-17/blunt-neck-inj-pic--2010-12.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Foul ball off the catcher's helmet. Hit the throat guard on the way up and took my mask with it. Without the throat guard it would have knocked my mask off and hit me like an uppercut. 

I still enjoy chewing and swallowing my food. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last year, I wore a Schutt XV with the Madd Maxx modification.  I had it up nice and high on my throat.  Didn't wear a dangler at the time.  Foul ball went from the bat, glanced off the catcher's mitt, grazed the bottom of my mask, and hit the foam baffle (neck line of the Schutt XV) just below my Adam's apple.  Everyone in attendance went, "oooooooooooooooo."  Both coaches came out of the dugout to check on me.  I had a knot in my throat and difficulty swallowing for an hour.  I ordered a dangler that night online.  I will not get behind the plate without one.  Lesson learned.

• Like 3

I heard too many horror stories of close calls not to add one.  Take advantage of the lesson taught by someone else's pain.

I will say that for the first two years I had it attached incorrectly.  I had the TG hanging from THE EXTENSION.  This was a problem when I would look up to find the ball and the TG would catch on the top of my chest protector.  When I would bring my head back down the TG would push my mask up and off.  Not much of a safety issue, but definitely bad optics.

I believe Mr. Kennedy has a video posted here about the proper way to attach the TG.  It should be strapped to the lower bar of the mask proper.  Once I made this switch I have had no issues.

Found the video:   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This year, I told both our coaches the following about throat guards on catcher's masks:

"Do you all see these scars on my throat?  Of course you don't, BECAUSE I WAS WEARING A THROAT GUARD.  The league gear has them, if anyone brings their own to the game, they need one on there too."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@GerryB    Good move.  Several years ago i was working in the Tennessee district All Star tourny and scheduled  for the state tourny a few weeks later. My plate partner never wore one despite all of my warnings and knowing I have like 4 extra throat guards in my bag at all times. He took a foul ball direct to the throat and left the field in an ambulance breathing irregular with some fractured cartilidge in the throat. He finally took one of my throat guards when he returned a few weeks later. Don't learn the hard way guys, the best $5 you can spend on protection.

• Like 2

I've always worn a dangling throat guard myself from even before I started umpiring. I was a goalie for the club lacrosse team at the Catholic University of America, and the throat protector kept me from getting seriously hurt. I have also worn a throat protector for hockey (I have also played goalie in floor hockey), and I have taken shots to it without any harm to me. The throat protector has also served me in good stead on the diamond, deflecting balls that would have otherwise hit me in the neck, and in absorbing shots to the area on the collar  between the mask and chest protector. I would feel unprotected if I took the field without one, the same as if I was not wearing a cup.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've worn throat guards on all of my masks, both for catching and umpiring, after taking a foul shot off the side of the neck when I went to block a pitch during a travel ball tournament. I can remember at least two occasions while catching HS games the past couple years that I've been saved by throat guards. I was also unfortunate enough to be a BU during a 14u Majors game in which my partner took a past ball to the throat had to come out of the game, so now I carry an extra to offer to my partners should they not have one, though guys who don't almost never take me up on it. :(

TL;DR - Please wear a throat guard!

-LBS

I used to not use a dangler when I was hockey goalie. I had the tight neck protector. Caught a stick up high and went to a dangler for both that and lacrosse as the emergency goalie. I used one as an umpire too, albeit incorrectly mounted.  It really becomes second nature and after a bit you won't notice it there at all. It will not restrict you in any way.  For the person looking for straps with the buttons, you could always try a craft store like AC Moore, Joanne's, or Michaels.  If not wax shoe laces will always work in a pinch.

• 2 weeks later...

I used some 3/4" wide Velcro strips I found in a drawer at home.  They are about 8" in length.   Not sure where they came from but these worked better than anything I have found. I think they were intended to bundle Californiaomputer cables together.  I need to find some more. These allow The TG to be attached to the bottom bar vs the The TG extension and allow it hang better than the zip ties. 

2 hours ago, clasonater said:

anybody know where i cant get one of those huge dinner plate lookin danglers that tim mclelland used to use back in the day? Look at the pine tar incident

Guys more in the know will probably help better. But I want to say it is a lacrosse throat guard. It looked like a spade shovel. Correct?