Hunter Wendelstadt ejects Aaron Boone

I'm not posting video because most of it is so biased and I don't personally wish to promote that. It's out there and y'alls can Google it for yourselves...

Lindsey at CCS is AFK until the 24th and I know she'll get us caught up in her own way, eventually...

I would just like to say that while Hunter may have thrown Boone out for "what a fan said"...cry me a river for Aaron Boone and his "savages in the box". If you are an MLB manager and get ejected for something a fan said? That's probably an indication that you have a HUGELY negative reputation that is proceeding you. Get better, Aaron...that's terrible.

All 29 other managers figured out a way to get ejected less than you, Aaron. If you're more to the middle of the pack of total ejections, this doesn't happen to you. Or at the very least it's less likely to happen to you.

MLB has issued a statement that they are "reviewing this". Ok...whatever...this is an understandable mistake from any umpire. Absent some kind of documented history between the umpire and this manager, I see no reason to sanction or penalize the umpire in any way on this. What do you have, brothers?

~Dawg 

• Like 2

Well my take was Hunter was a touch over all "sensitive"  

After dropping that comment he basically assumed anything from the dugout was good enough however his comment was directed at Aaron So, yeah to me that was a little premature.

I get what you are saying about the Mgr OP but that also makes me think Hunter was also "light on the trigger"

taking what you said and how I see it 1+1 =2

Now MLB backing up Hunter , yeah they should.  Who knows whats being said behind closed doors though.

Im also taking into effect what the fan reportedly said. It did not seem awful to me.  If it was from the dugout.. meh so what move on. 

my 2 cents anywho

I just think it looked bad for Hunter is all I am summarizing it as. 

57 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

If you are an MLB manager and get ejected for something a fan said? That's probably an indication that you have a HUGELY negative reputation that is proceeding you.

Yeah... that part has not sucken in

Yeah, this didn’t happen in a vacuum. Aaron Boone has starred in many ejection videos during his tenure as manager, and I’m sure he has earned himself the shortest leash possible. Maybe take a lesson from this and re-evaluate how you do business with the umpires. Or don’t, and don’t be surprised when something like this happens. 

• Like 3

Oh, Aaron certainly earned that EJ...

His actions over the past several years has earned him a poor reputation and therefore he has lost the benefit of the doubt.  You see actions and antics do have consequences.  Ever hear of the boy that cried wolf?

In Hunter's defense, he said that Boonie is the manager and thus responsible for the bench.  In his mind, whether Boone or his bench made the comments, it's Boonie that gets the EJ there.  I realize a fan said it, but we can't expect Hunter to know that during the game when he is focused on umpiring.

Short version is this.... don't want to get ejected?  Then, start being reasonable and workable with the umpires.   Once they see you're being reasonable, you can start getting the benefit of the doubt again.  But the old "act like a fool, get treated like a fool" applies here.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I realize a fan said it, but we can't expect Hunter to know that during the game when he is focused on umpiring.

Thoughts on Hunter (from what I've seen) doubling down that it was "farther down the bench" and not a fan*? When should there be an admission of an error on the part of an MLB/MiLB ump?

And, taking it out of that rarefied air, when should we be admitting errors?

* How the heck can they ever tell who said it with dugouts so far away and the stadium full of people?

21 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Oh, Aaron certainly earned that EJ...

His actions over the past several years has earned him a poor reputation and therefore he has lost the benefit of the doubt.  You see actions and antics do have consequences.  Ever hear of the boy that cried wolf?

In Hunter's defense, he said that Boonie is the manager and thus responsible for the bench.  In his mind, whether Boone or his bench made the comments, it's Boonie that gets the EJ there.  I realize a fan said it, but we can't expect Hunter to know that during the game when he is focused on umpiring.

Short version is this.... don't want to get ejected?  Then, start being reasonable and workable with the umpires.   Once they see you're being reasonable, you can start getting the benefit of the doubt again.  But the old "act like a fool, get treated like a fool" applies here.

I dont know if a 100% agree, yes, boone is a hothead, but he didnt do anything wrong here. Hunter even said your probably right Aaron. Saying that he didnt say anything. However, if i were Hunter, I would have said, you pick Aaron. 

On 4/23/2024 at 4:29 PM, ArchAngel72 said:

Well my take was Hunter was a touch over all "sensitive"  

After dropping that comment he basically assumed anything from the dugout was good enough however his comment was directed at Aaron So, yeah to me that was a little premature.

I get what you are saying about the Mgr OP but that also makes me think Hunter was also "light on the trigger"

taking what you said and how I see it 1+1 =2

Now MLB backing up Hunter , yeah they should.  Who knows whats being said behind closed doors though.

Im also taking into effect what the fan reportedly said. It did not seem awful to me.  If it was from the dugout.. meh so what move on. 

my 2 cents anywho

I just think it looked bad for Hunter is all I am summarizing it as. 

According to Jomboy Media the fan said "common homeplate". 

I think when you have as bad of a reputation with umpires as Boone does, this thing will happen. He picks on the young umpires and I’m happy to see that the Veterans are sticking up for their young guns. You get what you deserve Karen Boone.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BigBlue4u said:

Why not look it like jury instructions which basically say a juror cannot take into consideration past acts by a defendant, but must judge only by the material presented in court?

Because this isn’t a courtroom, it’s a baseball game. And on a baseball field, be it wrong or right, reputations matter. 

• Like 4

not supporting any news out there, bias or unbiased, rag information or true/false information and not supporting/supporting anyone nohow noway, whatever way our minds go

as we know, the epicenter of baseball has i think, what do i know, been New York. Maybe not a long long time ago, but in more recent times. There have been many from the NY Yankees front office to go to the MLB front office as former players, managers, travel, sales, whatever you can think of.

So, a lot of info seems to come out of the NY Times, NY Post and i am not supporting either one although i am giving something found in the NY Post. If everyone considers either one a National Inquirer type thing, how the heck/dog gone whatever, would i know, i am dumb.

Baseball gets to chose how they will handle the situation, subtly as the article mentions, (basically behind closed doors) or publicly.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/22/sports/aaron-boone-gets-ejected-after-expletive-filled-fight-with-ump/

second follow up piece

https://nypost.com/2024/04/25/sports/hunter-wendelstedt-to-face-subtle-discipline-for-aaron-boone-ejection/

and don't forget, everything out there is being evaluated (ding, no ding, or stands) for post season consideration. Ball/strike, safe/out, situation handling, mentorship, teamwork and everything else on the evaluation checkoff sheet, day in and day out. and, i would imagine, there is a way MLB would prefer to see almost every situation handled, not counting the new situations and 801c things that may come up. and, sometimes an umpire on the spur of the moment, may have to make a decision on a new situation (not exactly the same in every form that MLB has already talked about) that they feel is correct and what they believe MLB wants/how the situation to be handled.

and, if major league baseball says that in that particular situation they want it handled a different way, the umpire cannot worry that they miss a playoff doing what they think is the right way Major League baseball would want a situation handled. You are not going to win all the time no matter how hard you try (such is life). Then when MLB tells you what they want on that new variable situation, you may get the chance to do it their way, when that exact same situation in every detail occurs again.

• Like 1

Good post @dumbdumb.  I’m not sure what we are talking about with “how they want the situation handled” though.  It was a routine situation that was handled poorly (being generous) but possibly understandably.

Boone has a reputation, just as Angel Hernandez does and just as Hunter Wendelstadt does.  I’ll admit my biases: I am not a Hunter fan, nor can I stand Boone.  These reputations cause things to happen.

You want to start running your mouth in the first half-dozen pitches of the game AND you have a reputation for acting a fool?  Yeah, Blue is probably wanting to make the rest of his day easier.  It may not be right, but it is what it is.  Actions, even past actions, have consequences.

Do I think Hunter deserves some discipline for this?  Yes.  He didn’t start the fire, but he threw gas on it.  Should we be pretty damned certain before tossing someone?  Absolutely.  The “manager is responsible for his dugout” holds weight at the amateur level, not so much at the pro level.

I’ll take this in another direction: Let me focus on the mental health of umpires for a moment.  We’ve all headed to the field on a bad day.  You aren’t feeling it, you are distracted, and you know you are not in the right head space.  Have you ever called off a game because you knew you were “not right” to be working the game?  

46 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Good post @dumbdumb.  I’m not sure what we are talking about with “how they want the situation handled” though.  It was a routine situation that was handled poorly (being generous) but possibly understandably.

Boone has a reputation, just as Angel Hernandez does and just as Hunter Wendelstadt does.  I’ll admit my biases: I am not a Hunter fan, nor can I stand Boone.  These reputations cause things to happen.

You want to start running your mouth in the first half-dozen pitches of the game AND you have a reputation for acting a fool?  Yeah, Blue is probably wanting to make the rest of his day easier.  It may not be right, but it is what it is.  Actions, even past actions, have consequences.

Do I think Hunter deserves some discipline for this?  Yes.  He didn’t start the fire, but he threw gas on it.  Should we be pretty damned certain before tossing someone?  Absolutely.  The “manager is responsible for his dugout” holds weight at the amateur level, not so much at the pro level.

I’ll take this in another direction: Let me focus on the mental health of umpires for a moment.  We’ve all headed to the field on a bad day.  You aren’t feeling it, you are distracted, and you know you are not in the right head space.  Have you ever called off a game because you knew you were “not right” to be working the game?  

Just wanted to let us all know that it was not the fan behind boone, mentioned early in the first article, it was an unknown person at the far end of the dugout mentioned later in the same article. And per hunter, rather than go walk down and try and find the person at the end of the dugout he tossed boone, their leader.

Now what baseball tells Hunter about this situation is up to them.

I don't know if I buy this "somebody on the bench" line.  Clearly, if you look at the video, Hunter reacts by snapping his head towards Boone and the fan.  He did not look down the bench at all.  His head turned back and to the right, back and to the right . . . 

stone1.jpg

32 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I don't know if I buy this "somebody on the bench" line.  Clearly, if you look at the video, Hunter reacts by snapping his head towards Boone and the fan.  He did not look down the bench at all.  His head turned back and to the right, back and to the right . . . 

stone1.jpg

No problem with that at all. Just wanted both pieces of information given in the article. And yes I would have commented if only the 2d piece of info was what everyone was getting and not the fan part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

stone1.jpg

Well you know what "Willie O'Keefe" (played by Kevin Bacon) would say if he were here...

"Awwww, hell Missah Garrison...you don't know [remainder of quote redacted]"

I've seen this film close to 20 times. I will never forget seeing it in the theatre when it came out and being utterly scandalized by Bacon's line there. I can't speak to the truthiness of the film but, as a film it's an interestingly depicted story. Nice reference, Blue Dude...

~Dawg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BigBlue4u said:

Why not look it like jury instructions which basically say a juror cannot take into consideration past acts by a defendant, but must judge only by the material presented in court?

Well...that's only partially true and it depends on the case. Typically past "antics" are litigated during discovery. (IANAL)

Also, this is real world. Jury instructions aren't necessarily real world. 

1 hour ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Well you know what "Willie O'Keefe" (played by Kevin Bacon) would say if he were here...

"Awwww, hell Missah Garrison...you don't know [remainder of quote redacted]"

I've seen this film close to 20 times. I will never forget seeing it in the theatre when it came out and being utterly scandalized by Bacon's line there. I can't speak to the truthiness of the film but, as a film it's an interestingly depicted story. Nice reference, Blue Dude...

~Dawg

Fantastic movie

Wendelstadt backed himself into a corner with giving Boone the "one more word" ultimatum.  Without that, HW can at least start with an "enough" and at least Boone has an opportunity to defend himself.  

Boone's reputation aside, and his idiocy with the rules, HW is on an ego trip here and did everything but pull his dick out.  He's moving into rarified air of being in the same conversation of SH*#ty game management with Angel, AND SH*#ty ball/strike accuracy with CB.   

Congratulations, Hunter, you have outlasted your usefulness.

To those thinking reputation matters. Twist that around and put it back on yourself.

None of us are perfect, I will repeat that.  NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.  We all have bad games. We all have incredible games.  We all strive to make better and when we have a moment in a game to understand it and move on from it.  You all know when you kick a call on a strike or a ball.   I for one NEVER EVER do a make up call.. The screw up was me not the pitcher or catcher or batter so why shift that to make things "Proper" when that would end up just be you making another "bad call"

Anyway. My point is I believe We do not want any bad reputation going from one game into the next. I do my best to try to push that on the coaches also.   I know deep down we all know going from game to game who is probably good to try whatever or do or say whatever. But to me this is the next game not the last.  When the ball got thrown to the pitcher to start the next game whatever happened before is a memory not whats happening now. I do my best to treat it like that.

No issues with anyone.  Sure Im not at MLB level where there are 162 games I might have to call and get the same coach for 40 of them?   I dunno Im guessing..  So yeah I wont run into that amount of working with a coach. 

Anyway I hope I have defended my point so you see it..