Need bicep protection

Fellow blues, I underwent surgery five weeks ago to re-attach my bicep, which came completely torn off.  The surgeon also had to go inside my shoulder with a grinder to remove a bunch of bone spurs and the bursitis was so bad she couldn't see what she was doing until she cut it out.  So I already lost my entire JuCo season because I cannot get behind the plate.  I'm in physical therapy now and starting to gain back some of my range of motion, but definitely not ready for the dish.  

That said, when I do come back, I want to add some bicep protection.  I wear a Wilson West Vest currently.  On my favorite web site, the only supplemental protection I found for the bicep only fit on Champro chest protectors.

What do you all suggest I do?

By the way, the EARLIEST I'll get behind the dish will likely be July.  But I still want the protection.

How protective are you needing?  Last year I took back-to-back-to back bicep shots all in the same vicinity in about two weeks.  I needed something to cover it and allow it to heal.  I cut a shoulder paldron off an old CP and built my own with some Velcro to hold it in place.

Not as major as what you are coming back from, but it did the trick for a few weeks.  I’ll see if I can get a pic when I get back home tomorrow.

Look at gear from other sports if you need something heavier.

5 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Look at gear from other sports if you need something heavier.

That isn't a bad idea right there either. A trip to Play It Again Sports might turn something up.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:37 PM, mac266 said:

That said, when I do come back, I want to add some bicep protection.

I was suddenly struck with some inspiration, that may involve several of us here in the U-E group and the skills & talents we have... 

You know my opinions on WestVest Golds (Opinion #1: they’re garbage. Opinion #2: they’re serviceable garbage. Opinion #3: they’re overpriced garbage... yadda yadda yadda). However, the carapace plates are more than serviceable. 

So, if @wolfe_man , @The Short Umpire, and I were to put our heads together, cross-check it with @BT_Blue, send off a pad planform to @Umpiresrock74 and/or @Cavalier1948, and then assemble it and get it back on you, would you be up to try it? You’d be getting a padding upgrade on it, and I can guarantee that Shorty, Wolfe and I will not fall short on at least addressing your concerns. I foresee a final form that adds a fastening pec wing, with a strap that goes around and secures via a button added to your harness. Yes, you will need a/your partner to give you a hand in securing it, but this will make it contour around your upper torso, under your armpit so your shirt(s) will fit better. 

I’ll need to eliminate that main connecting stitch between the shoulder arch plate and the pauldron. I’d add a connecting spline from shoulder arch plate to pauldron plate. The pauldron pads would then be independent and individual, attached to their respective pauldron plates. Then, we’ll collectively design a bellowing cuff – I have ideas, but best to show them in sketches than to try and describe it here. It would secure to the pauldron (via snaps or loops), so that it doesn’t slide down and out of position as you wear it. I foresee it ending with a spandex / elastic bottom cuff just above the elbow. 

Sound like an option? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Sound like an option? 

Sounds like a version of the youtube craft videos my wife watches that I'd be interested in watching

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Velho said:

Sounds like a version of the youtube craft videos my wife watches that I'd be interested in watching

A YouTube presence is in the works... it’s just been rather challenging on me to do this on the road, as much as I am. I don’t have anything that resembles a studio or workspace. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MadMax said:

A YouTube presence is in the works... it’s just been rather challenging on me to do this on the road, as much as I am. I don’t have anything that resembles a studio or workspace. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I thought the Adams/Schutt XV HDX had pretty good bicep protection - it's the one thing I really miss when I switched to the All-Start CPU4000 (although I haven't gotten hit too bad since the switch, I know I just jinxed it).

On 3/10/2024 at 10:21 PM, MadMax said:

I was suddenly struck with some inspiration, that may involve several of us here in the U-E group and the skills & talents we have... 

You know my opinions on WestVest Golds (Opinion #1: they’re garbage. Opinion #2: they’re serviceable garbage. Opinion #3: they’re overpriced garbage... yadda yadda yadda). However, the carapace plates are more than serviceable. 

So, if @wolfe_man , @The Short Umpire, and I were to put our heads together, cross-check it with @BT_Blue, send off a pad planform to @Umpiresrock74 and/or @Cavalier1948, and then assemble it and get it back on you, would you be up to try it? You’d be getting a padding upgrade on it, and I can guarantee that Shorty, Wolfe and I will not fall short on at least addressing your concerns. I foresee a final form that adds a fastening pec wing, with a strap that goes around and secures via a button added to your harness. Yes, you will need a/your partner to give you a hand in securing it, but this will make it contour around your upper torso, under your armpit so your shirt(s) will fit better. 

I’ll need to eliminate that main connecting stitch between the shoulder arch plate and the pauldron. I’d add a connecting spline from shoulder arch plate to pauldron plate. The pauldron pads would then be independent and individual, attached to their respective pauldron plates. Then, we’ll collectively design a bellowing cuff – I have ideas, but best to show them in sketches than to try and describe it here. It would secure to the pauldron (via snaps or loops), so that it doesn’t slide down and out of position as you wear it. I foresee it ending with a spandex / elastic bottom cuff just above the elbow. 

Sound like an option? 

If it gets me back on the diamond, let's do it!

If you ruin my West vest, I suppose I'll try something else :)

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 11:58 PM, MadMax said:

I thought all the good influencers shot their videos in the front seat of their trucks/soccer wagons.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I thought all the good influencers shot their videos in the front seat of their trucks/soccer wagons.

Nah, I’m going for a combination of Mark Rober, ElectroBOOM, and Scotty Kilmer. 😁

… just without the net-celebrity collabs (Rober), mad gesturing (Scotty), or setting myself on fire (ElectroBOOM).

13 hours ago, MadMax said:

Nah, I’m going for a combination of Mark Rober, ElectroBOOM, and Scotty Kilmer. 😁

… just without the net-celebrity collabs (Rober), mad gesturing (Scotty), or setting myself on fire (ElectroBOOM).

I have no idea who those people are.  Just going to smile and nod … 

It used to be just Dancing with the Stars and other “celebrity” shows that I had no idea who people were.  Now it’s … everything.  

(And I am OK with that!)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

I have no idea who those people are.  Just going to smile and nod … 

Something tells me you'd like Scott Kilmer. (caveat: mostly ignore the clickbait titles that someone does for him)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

They just might, Muss. I think one of our Manhattan Project guys has a set, and we’ll certainly try them… however… 

@mac266 has a Wilson WV Gold. Two glaring problems: 

1. The Champro bicep guards connect to the shoulder pauldron and stay via Velcro loop… that goes… where on a WV Gold? We’d have to cut a slot into the pauldron anyway to run that loop thru. 
  2. The shoulder pauldron plates are floated atop the pauldron pads, which are positioned by and connected to a structural stitch from vest (torso) pad to pauldron pad. Ever wonder why shirts are a pain to put on (unless you size up “for plate”), and give you that hulking linebacker look? It’s because of the pauldron pad, and that poorly-designed structural stitch. 

Including a bicep guard in that space is going to further exacerbate the problem. We need to allow Mac to (rather) easily put the CP on, have the protective elements positioned and held in place, and then put a shirt on over it. 

So, we’ll be designing a whole new set of pad segments that will work with the carapace plates and any additional guards required. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

I had no idea who people were.  Now it’s … everything.

ElectroBOOM is the YT channel of an electrical engineer living in Vancouver named Mehdi. 

Here he is demonstrating the differences between AC and DC: 

mqdefault.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

ac-electric-shock-300.png

His demonstrations, while wildly informative, usually exhibit him being shocked, or setting something in his lab-studio on fire… or both. 

I find great solace in that I’m not the only one who sits in my workspace, looking at the materials in front of me, contemplating profoundly what to do next… 

Rm3rER.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh snap!  I do recognize that guy!  In my previous job, one of my duties was to teach about electrical safety.  I had a cool 10,000v display that I could play with (extremely low amperage) and would plug a pickle in to a 120v outlet to make it glow (that was more dangerous).

Anyway, yeah … I’ve watched some of his stuff!

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

They just might, Muss. I think one of our Manhattan Project guys has a set, and we’ll certainly try them… however… 

@mac266 has a Wilson WV Gold. Two glaring problems: 

1. The Champro bicep guards connect to the shoulder pauldron and stay via Velcro loop… that goes… where on a WV Gold? We’d have to cut a slot into the pauldron anyway to run that loop thru. 
  2. The shoulder pauldron plates are floated atop the pauldron pads, which are positioned by and connected to a structural stitch from vest (torso) pad to pauldron pad. Ever wonder why shirts are a pain to put on (unless you size up “for plate”), and give you that hulking linebacker look? It’s because of the pauldron pad, and that poorly-designed structural stitch. 

Including a bicep guard in that space is going to further exacerbate the problem. We need to allow Mac to (rather) easily put the CP on, have the protective elements positioned and held in place, and then put a shirt on over it. 

So, we’ll be designing a whole new set of pad segments that will work with the carapace plates and any additional guards required. 

I know you hate the West vest, so would it be better if I went ahead and bought a new chest protector for this experiment?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mac266 said:

I know you hate the West vest, so would it be better if I went ahead and bought a new chest protector for this experiment?

Not at all! I’ll make certain we do not compromise the carapace plates. And, I won’t dispose of the original vest pad (use it for a bleacher seat!) and will return it back to you. The only significant change I’ll / we’ll make to the original unit will be to re-connect the shoulder pauldrons to the shoulder arch plates with splines instead of that pad stitch. 

The major difference will be in the padding. The plan is shaping up to do it in segments that overlap and create a contoured protection profile that doesn’t hinder range of motion. 

Which arm did you damage, or are you hoping that our modifications will be mirrored into both shoulders and arms? 

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

Not at all! I’ll make certain we do not compromise the carapace plates. And, I won’t dispose of the original vest pad (use it for a bleacher seat!) and will return it back to you. The only significant change I’ll / we’ll make to the original unit will be to re-connect the shoulder pauldrons to the shoulder arch plates with splines instead of that pad stitch. 

The major difference will be in the padding. The plan is shaping up to do it in segments that overlap and create a contoured protection profile that doesn’t hinder range of motion. 

Which arm did you damage, or are you hoping that our modifications will be mirrored into both shoulders and arms? 

Right arm.  I don't think we need double side protection, but I absolutely have to protect the right.

• Like 1