Team Wendy Retrofit options

Umpiresrock74

2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Why did I hear Morgan Freeman the entire time I was reading that.

Ha! I could so be Lucius Fox. 
Seriously, in that clip, there’s a response that I will… alter to suit our current situation… 

Bruce: “Impact absorbent?” 
Fox: “Anything and everything.”

Bruce: “Why didn’t they put it into production?”

Fox: “The beancounters at Wilson didn’t think that we umpires’ health was worth it, and that we won’t buy it at the resulting price point.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2023 at 3:43 PM, Cavalier1948 said:

I’ve been working on something for a while. I have a 1/2” thick prototype that I have worn all season, at the high school, and college levels, taking numerous hits just fine. It is very lightweight and breathable on hot days, differing greatly (in my opinion) from the Team Wendy padding, of which I own 3 chest protectors. My pads will be compatible with the Riddell Power and West Vest Gold, with the West Vest Platinum to follow. I am working on 100 units right now. I’ll update with pictures soon. 

@Cavalier1948 If you are looking for people to help crowd fund it through a pre-order agreement, let us know! I would love to try one in my Power.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry! My bad. It was late last night. So basically I bought foam from a company, order Velcro, and straps. Made a poster board cutout of my old foam, then shamed it a little different around the neck, and then bought the material for the cover. The foam is coming today, and going to send it all to the seamstress to get sewn up on Monday.

44 minutes ago, Umpiresrock74 said:

After I cut the foam today, I will send some pictures. I am more than welcome to show you guys photos of what it would look like. I’m excited. It will probably round out to what it was for team Wendy. Just have to do a little labor. 

What CP are you currently using? 

11 hours ago, Umpiresrock74 said:

Thoughts?

• Do you even need the pectoral wings?
  • Have you determined a method to attach the pauldron (outer shoulder plates) to the shoulder arch plates?
  • This is neoprene, you say? That stuff cauterizes pretty well. Are you committed to jacketing it within a technical mesh fabric, and sewing on Velcro anchor straps? If you are, it’s best to mark where they’ll be by laying the carapace plates over the foam jacket, and then using a chalk marker or tradesman’s pencil (white/yellow/red) to mark through the slots onto the foam beneath. If this was me, I wouldn’t even bother stitching the anchor tabs on. I’d slice / lance / melt slots in the foam jacket, and then loop my own Velcro loops thru both. 
  • Here’s your chance to install side release buckles instead of t-hooks. T-hooks corrode and cut shirts when hit. Side release buckles are plastic, and could break, but if installed with Chicago screws, can be easily replaced if one breaks. Thought of that? 

I commend you you on doing something that Wilson couldn’t even get off their corporate a$$e$ to do in 25+ years. 

3 minutes ago, MadMax said:
  • Do you even need the pectoral wings?
  • Have you determined a method to attach the pauldron (outer shoulder plates) to the shoulder arch plates?
  • This is neoprene, you say? That stuff cauterizes pretty well. Are you committed to jacketing it within a technical mesh fabric, and sewing on Velcro anchor straps? If you are, it’s best to mark where they’ll be by laying the carapace plates over the foam jacket, and then using a chalk marker or tradesman’s pencil (white/yellow/red) to mark through the slots onto the foam beneath. If this was me, I wouldn’t even bother stitching the anchor tabs on. I’d slice / lance / melt slots in the foam jacket, and then loop my own Velcro loops thru both. 
  • Here’s your chance to install side release buckles instead of t-hooks. T-hooks corrode and cut shirts when hit. Side release buckles are plastic, and could break, but if installed with Chicago screws, can be easily replaced if one breaks. Thought of that? 

I commend you you on doing something that Wilson couldn’t even get off their corporate a$$e$ to do in 25+ years. 

Well first off all thanks for commending me. Yes, there will be a cover over it that is all sewn together, like a Wilson chest protector. Yes! I am still trying to figure out the fidlock buckles, where can I buy them?

26 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

seems heavy .... looks pretty thick

In fairness, neoprene isn’t exactly a crude open-cell upholstery foam, which is used on cheap sofas, loungers... and Wilson WestVests. 

That s#!t holds moisture like a sodden sponge 🧽. Ever dump a gallon of water on a cheap couch? 

... ever wait around for it to dry?