I've given up.

HokieUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 583 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

3 hours ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

Y'all still do the card Hokie? We dropped that a few years ago.

We do in the SA chapter, at least.  I ran out of my initial allotment, so I guess we're doing pinky-swears right now.  I'm told get them from TASO-state, so it must vary by chapter on who uses them and who doesn't.

You will be happy to know that the NFHS will very likely end the jewelry rule beginning with the 2023 season.  I have it from a very creditable source that that the rule will be dropped because it has caused more problems that it has solved.  One of the biggest reasons is safety.  The NFHS has repeatedly claimed wearing jewelry is a safety issue.  However, study after study has proven that the incidence of jewelry-related injuries is extremely rare.  Also, the vast majority of coaches hate the rule, so they are not enforcing it for their own teams.  The other problem is the enforcement of the rule by umpires has been inconsistent at best.  Stay tuned!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 1:40 PM, MadMax said:

I just shake my head while reading this, and think I've read it all about outrageous, ridiculous preliminaries TPTB heap on us umpires that have otherwise petty, minuscule bearing upon the actual game of baseball... 

... but then remember the poor saps in NJ ( @conbo61, @Richvee, @Kevin_K, et.al.) who have to recite a sportsmanship pledge off a cue card!! 🤬

1.  NJ born and bred, but calling games over here in PA (PIAA.)

2.  We are allowed powder blue in warmer weather.

3.  Got that pledge memorized! No cue cards here baby!!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

We do in the SA chapter, at least.  I ran out of my initial allotment, so I guess we're doing pinky-swears right now.  I'm told get them from TASO-state, so it must vary by chapter on who uses them and who doesn't.

That's ridiculous. I always thought it was inane doing those things. I don't miss that. Lots of things we do in the name of liability and safety.

I just shake my head while reading this, and think I've read it all about outrageous, ridiculous preliminaries TPTB heap on us umpires that have otherwise petty, minuscule bearing upon the actual game of baseball... 

... but then remember the poor saps in NJ ( @conbo61, @Richvee, @Kevin_K, et.al.) who have to recite a sportsmanship pledge off a cue card!! 🤬

Twice … Yes , we have to read it twice now. We have to read to both dugouts while the other team is taking  I/O. 

Seems the state didn’t think the captains at the plate meeting were relaying to sportsmanship message to the rest of the team… ( Ya THINK?!?)

So now we have to read it to both teams.😀😩

Oh…. Remember we can wear black. So the gripe about navy is more aimed at the NJ  varsity umpires who thinks having one navy shirt and jacket is sufficient for yet another year. And with that comes a preconceived notion of what to expect from our partner. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Twice … Yes , we have to read it twice now. We have to read to both dugouts while the other team is taking  I/O. 

Seems the state didn’t think the captains at the plate meeting were relaying to sportsmanship message to the rest of the team… ( Ya THINK?!?)

So now we have to read it to both teams.😀😩

Oh…. Remember we can wear black. So the gripe about navy is more aimed at the NJ  varsity umpires who thinks having one navy shirt and jacket is sufficient for yet another year. And with that comes a preconceived notion of what to expect from our partner. 

In my neck of the woods coaches and umpires have always taken care of sportsmanship issues at the HS level with the occasional one off occurrence. If NJ is requiring this I wonder if it is an outgrowth of some sht that is happening in some locales that even shows it's head in NCAA. There is a disturbing NCAA video emphasizing umpire control of unsportsmanlike behavior that, while we should take care of that business, also should have NCAA asking it's coaches why they don't bench players that exhibit that conduct.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimurray said:

In my neck of the woods coaches and umpires have always taken care of sportsmanship issues at the HS level with the occasional one off occurrence. If NJ is requiring this I wonder if it is an outgrowth of some sht that is happening in some locales that even shows it's head in NCAA. There is a disturbing NCAA video emphasizing umpire control of unsportsmanlike behavior that, while we should take care of that business, also should have NCAA asking it's coaches why they don't bench players that exhibit that conduct.

It's an outgrowth of what took place in a football game about 7 or 8 years ago. The claim of bias was made, and the state attorney general opened an investigation. In order to keep its role as overseer of interscholastic sports in the state of New Jersey, the NJSIAA was required to make changes that included all officials reading this statement at the beginning of every interscholastic event.

The so-called directors of the NJSIAA claim that they are getting their marching orders from the state attorney general's office. And since stuff trickles downhill it comes down to us, the officials, to make sure that silly statements that nobody listens to are read prior to the game.

I can assure you that sportsmanship is enforced in any event in which I am an official with or without any particular statement being read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And don't forget the residents of PA who also have to recite, verbatim, the PIAA-endorsed sportsmanship message, prior to every game. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I will say this about the mandatory code reading. It does allows us to ask a belligerent coach, "What part of 'will not be tolerated' do you not understand?" I admit this sounds snarky, but the one time this line actually popped out of me, boy, did it feel good when the coach had no comeback and shut up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I will say this about the mandatory code reading. It does allows us to ask a belligerent coach, "What part of 'will not be tolerated' do you not understand?" I admit this sounds snarky, but the one time this line actually popped out of me, boy, did it feel good when the coach had no comeback and shut up!

You could always take the self-deprecating, diplomatic approach: “Bob, is there a better way that I can convey the understanding of ‘will not be tolerated?’”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Catch18 said:

You could always take the self-deprecating, diplomatic approach: “Bob, is there a better way that I can convey the understanding of ‘will not be tolerated?’”emoji6.pngemoji6.png

"Help *me* to help *you*, Bob!"

• Like 1

Once you reach the point of snarkiness, neither self-deprecation nor diplomacy is helpful--or appropriate. The "better way" might well be an ejection.

But I've diverted this thread too far afield. I'll stop now.

It was a point of emphasis in my state last year.  We were directed to be anal retentive enforcers about it.  First kid with jewelry earns a warning for both teams.  Second one gets ejected.  I never had to eject anybody (thankfully!), because that's a big booger to pick.  But the leadership was constantly reminding us that this was a point of emphasis and demanded we go after it aggressively.

As we approached post-season play, I discovered that only my area had actually been enforcing it.  The rest of the state completely ignored the directive to be anal about jewelry. 

This year, no one has said boo about jewelry.  So I'm back to asking the coaches if everyone is "legally and properly equipped and prepared to compete in a sportsmanlike manner."  Once they say yes, it's on them.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:47 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

These jewelry rules can be grabbing the dirty end of the stick. Even before I left umpiring I was seeing an uptick in the bling. 

They can.  I use them as a hammer... Actual example I had two years ago...

Had a coach that is always a problem in a JV game.  He is up by like 12 runs with bases loaded and the other team is on their 4th or 5th 'pitcher'--who obviously has not been told how to pitch.  After the first pitch I go and clean up the rubber and maybe mention for him to make sure and come set.  The 3rd base (head) coach starts screaming at me that I'm not allowed to coach to kid.  My job is to 'enforce all of the rules no exceptions'. I ask him if he is sure that is what he wants me to do.  To which he replies yes.  I confirm again and he again says yes. At that point I look around and low and behold batter is blinged out, all the runners on base have those rubber wrist things, on and on.

So, I enforce the balk, warn the kid/coach on 3rd and then eject the batter, R1 and R2 and send him to the dugout. (May have skipped a step, but, oh well).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 4/2/2022 at 8:41 PM, Richvee said:

I am not at all familiar with this at all...  

Do you have to actually read something to each team about sportsmanship before every game? Do you actually do it before each game?

21 minutes ago, aaluck said:

I am not at all familiar with this at all...  

Do you have to actually read something to each team about sportsmanship before every game? Do you actually do it before each game?

It is an annual Point of Emphasis here for PIAA.  The text is included in every preseason bulletin.

It is to be read "verbatim" at the plate meeting.

• Sad 1

We've been instructed to actually read it from the card, not just recite it from memory. Here is the message:

PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your contestants are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest.

I admit I recite the code, instead of reading it, and I always emphasize the "and officials" by raising my voice slightly on those two words. FATGID: an acronym for "for all the good it does."

• Sad 1

On 4/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, Kevin_K said:

It's an outgrowth of what took place in a football game about 7 or 8 years ago. The claim of bias was made, and the state attorney general opened an investigation. In order to keep its role as overseer of interscholastic sports in the state of New Jersey, the NJSIAA was required to make changes that included all officials reading this statement at the beginning of every interscholastic event.

The so-called directors of the NJSIAA claim that they are getting their marching orders from the state attorney general's office. And since stuff trickles downhill it comes down to us, the officials, to make sure that silly statements that nobody listens to are read prior to the game.

I can assure you that sportsmanship is enforced in any event in which I am an official with or without any particular statement being read.

This is coming from the state that doesn't know how to pump gas...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mac266 said:

This is coming from the state that doesn't know how to pump gas...

Great source of summer jobs for kids.

Spent a summer pumping gas and my favorite customer was Bill White the former 1B for Cardinals and Phillies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LRZ said:

We've been instructed to actually read it from the card, not just recite it from memory. Here is the message:

PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your contestants are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest.

I admit I recite the code, instead of reading it, and I always emphasize the "and officials" by raising my voice slightly on those two words. FATGID: an acronym for "for all the good it does."

Just had to enforce this today.

The chirping was getting a little too personal.

4 hours ago, Catch18 said:

Thereby proving the recitation didn’t work? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Human nature being what it is, it may or may not work.  But if it doesn't prevent any actions, at least you have the hammer to drop as a result of reciting it at the plate meeting.

• Like 1