Association plans for spring

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1150 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

We're Zooming it for weekly rules meetings.  We are, however, having our on-field camp/clinic for guys with 3-years of experience or less.  However, it will be socially distance (we are limiting attendees, it is entirely outdoors, we are using two fields and two cages to break-up groups, everyone has to wear a mask, etc.).

On 1/14/2021 at 5:58 PM, Kevin_K said:

What have I heard about my association plans?

How to get rid of crickets in California - Ask Mr. Little

Those are female crickets, so you won't even hear any chirping (because only male crickets chirp) :D.

My officials association has done Zoom meetings for football and basketball. So, I believe it may do the same for baseball and softball. Even if the COVID situation here improves significantly between now and March/April, I believe the school whose auditorium or cafeteria we'd normally use as a meeting site may still not want to let anyone in after hours that doesn't have an absolute need to be there.

15 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

They didn't specify, but wouldn't be surprised if it is state wide. They dropped the requirement this year to mandatory +4

Our District had an organizational meeting last week and we will be going with a District wide meeting.  It is my understanding that it will not be statewide.  The meetings will be recorded and made available on a YouTube channel in the event that a member can't make a meeting.

There are six chapters in the District and each interpreter will be responsible for a presentation.  The will also be one District wide, virtual mandatory rules meeting (in addition to the PIAA option.)

Latest update from California is that Baseball "could" be able to start on March 13th. However, there are a lot of variables. Our area has to be out of of the stay at home order, which is still in effect at least until Jan 25th. Then we have be in purple tier for a while, then move to red tier and be in it for 2 weeks, and then we can resume baseball, but still with restrictions.

The stay at home order is tied to our ICU capacity, and right now Southern California is at 0.0% capacity. In order to get out of the stay at home order, we need to be at 15%, so we're a long ways off. Nothing can happen until we're at 15%, so more than likely, the start dates will be pushed back. I don't think we'll see games until April or May, at the earliest. I think it won't be until June. I could see us being in the stay at home order through February.

Here is a chart to make it even more complicated!

CIF Tiering .png

Latest update from California is that Baseball "could" be able to start on March 13th. However, there are a lot of variables. Our area has to be out of of the stay at home order, which is still in effect at least until Jan 25th. Then we have be in purple tier for a while, then move to red tier and be in it for 2 weeks, and then we can resume baseball, but still with restrictions.
The stay at home order is tied to our ICU capacity, and right now Southern California is at 0.0% capacity. In order to get out of the stay at home order, we need to be at 15%, so we're a long ways off. Nothing can happen until we're at 15%, so more than likely, the start dates will be pushed back. I don't think we'll see games until April or May, at the earliest. I think it won't be until June. I could see us being in the stay at home order through February.
Here is a chart to make it even more complicated!

411196208_CIFTiering.thumb.png.b88a30a57130e59607787f489f587d14.png
CA has Badminton as a HS sport? Dont see that everyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Our association is going virtual, at least for the moment. 

6 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Real popular in the Asian communities thus it is making inroads to the schools.

35 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

It's been around for a while here in SoCal at least. But yeah, not too common.

I actually didn't know that cheer-leading was considered a sport in our Section either.

13 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Our association is going virtual, at least for the moment. 

Real popular in the Asian communities thus it is making inroads to the schools.

When I was in college I would watch some pretty INTENSE badminton matches between Asian students down in the gym.  It was really cool as I had always thought of badminton as that game you played in the backyard during a family picnic. 

19 hours ago, JonnyCat said:

It's been around for a while here in SoCal at least. But yeah, not too common.

I actually didn't know that cheer-leading was considered a sport in our Section either.

The Olympic matches are intense (as I watched one night 3 AM in the morning).  Just didn't put two and two together as a HS sport.  You probably have Curling as a HS sport in Canada. Or maybe log rolling? lol