Jglopez7

6A UIL Championship Collision

4 minutes ago, BobUmp said:

Did he get tossed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No ejection. This was also the very first batter of the game. Two batters later, it was a hit by pitch.

Tough play.

Looks like U1 says something to him, if it's not an ejection, I'd recommend not saying anything...it implies that he saw something more than an out. 

Nice play for discussion.

I do not have MC here. Look again at the moment where the BR realizes that he's going to collide with F3. Does he keep going, lower a shoulder, and barrel through, as if he had been hoping this would happen?

No, he slows himself down. Then he realizes that he's still going to hit F3 (though not as hard), and he braces for and pushes through the contact. IMO, that's nothing.

BU steps in to usher off the BR. The philosophy there is to address the one who delivers the blow, so that the "recipient" perceives that the situation is being handled and he doesn't have to. It's not foolproof, but it's better than seeing how things go and then having to pull them apart. We're better off getting involved first, because if we have to get involved later it's often much worse (and involves EJ's).

• Like 1

Indeed, I have no problem with U1 saying something. I don't have MC, especially after seeing from the other angle and in full speed rather than just the 1B side angle in super slo mo that has all the Facebook warriors screaming ejection. But any unusual situation like this NEEDS our presence, especially with the bit of a staredown at the very end. They need to hear our voice and know we're there watching, or that stare becomes a stareoff becomes a faceoff becomes a shove and here we go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maven said:

I do not have MC here. Look again at the moment where the BR realizes that he's going to collide with F3. Does he keep going, lower a shoulder, and barrel through, as if he had been hoping this would happen?

No, he slows himself down. Then he realizes that he's still going to hit F3 (though not as hard), and he braces for and pushes through the contact. IMO, that's nothing.

BU steps in to usher off the BR. The philosophy there is to address the one who delivers the blow, so that the "recipient" perceives that the situation is being handled and he doesn't have to. It's not foolproof, but it's better than seeing how things go and then having to pull them apart. We're better off getting involved first, because if we have to get involved later it's often much worse (and involves EJ's).

Here's a gif of the critical components of the play...

https://gifs.com/gif/collision-at-first-base-RoyA3E

Another angle

https://gifs.com/gif/batter-runner-and-f3-collide-PZwyB4

4 hours ago, scrounge said:

Indeed, I have no problem with U1 saying something. I don't have MC, especially after seeing from the other angle and in full speed rather than just the 1B side angle in super slo mo that has all the Facebook warriors screaming ejection. But any unusual situation like this NEEDS our presence, especially with the bit of a staredown at the very end. They need to hear our voice and know we're there watching, or that stare becomes a stareoff becomes a faceoff becomes a shove and here we go.

Agree with this.  I have no problem with U1 telling the BR to get out of there and knock the staredown off.  

I also agree with no MC.  In my mind, MC is a deliberate attempt to initiate contact that can cause harm.  The BR did not initiate this contact, and although he did extend his arm a bit upon contact, I think that's just a normal human reaction when you collide with something.  The BR had little opportunity to avoid this collision.  Trainwreck.