Another balk reversal

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2775 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

8 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I can see this one being reversed.

It does point out one of the reasons FED had the "no signaling for a different pitch with the glove" case -- heck, if MLB umpires can get confused, imaging the chaos with us lowly FED umpires.

that wasn't a signal for a new sign .... I know they ARGUED that, but that's not what that was ...they argued it to cover it up

51 minutes ago, LittleBlue said:

For me, this is a balk all day. I'd like to know who saw what to overturn it and what their argument for overturning it was.

The BUs probably saw the second sign flashed. The pitcher can look in prior to coming set and we allow glove rolls, arm stretches, hat adjustments etc. But once we judge that he has started to come set it must be done without interruption and in one continuous motion. There is no penalty for this violation by rule but it is balked as "common practice." If somebody ever protested the lack of penalty I would have to use a feint without a step. 

38 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

How can it NOT be a balk!

If he rolled his glove and did not start to come set as F2 flashed the signs again would you balk it. I think he asked for the sign with the glove gesture, F2 put one down, F1 nodded and then came set in one continuous action. 

If he rolled his glove and did not start to come set as F2 flashed the signs again would you balk it. I think he asked for the sign with the glove gesture, F2 put one down, F1 nodded and then came set in one continuous action. 

I guess I can kinda see that. But that was hardly a "give me more signals" gesture.

Plus I didn't know you could do that in OBR

I probably would have balked it in a Fed game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

I guess I can kinda see that. But that was hardly a "give me more signals" gesture.

You could balk it or not in FED, OBR or NCAA depending on your judgement of what it was:

“6.1.2 SITUATION D: F1, while on the pitcher’s plate in either the windup or set ­position, (a) adjusts his cap or (b) shakes off the signal with his glove, or (c) shakes off the signal with his head. RULING: In (a) through (c), these are legal actions if these movements of the arms and legs are not associated with the pitch.”

Excerpt From: NFHS & Elliot Hopkins. “2015 Baseball Case Book.” NFHS. iBooks. 
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/VzJc4.l

23 minutes ago, JaxRolo said:

Assuming (and I admit it's based on your view of the actions) you have this as a "roll the glove for another sign" -- it's allowed in FED now, too (I think).

6.1.2 SITUATION D: F1, while on the pitcher's plate in either the windup or set position, (a) adjusts his

cap or (b) shakes off the signal with his glove, or (c) shakes off the signal with his head. RULING: In (a)

through (c), these are legal actions if these movements of the arms and legs are not associated with the

pitch.

Balk it or not balk it but once you make a decision you need to stick with it.

Coach I have him starting his motion and then stopping; balk.

Coach I had him asking for a new sign so no balk.

Ruling a balk and then changing this makes it look like we have no idea what we are looking at in regards to pitching rules and results in the umpire having to become a mind reader into the intentions of the pitcher. 

4 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Balk it or not balk it but once you make a decision you need to stick with it.

Coach I have him starting his motion and then stopping; balk.

Coach I had him asking for a new sign so no balk.

Ruling a balk and then changing this makes it look like we have no idea what we are looking at in regards to pitching rules and results in the umpire having to become a mind reader into the intentions of the pitcher. 

I can see why it was called, and I can see why it was reversed.  With the goal of "getting it right," I believe the decision was correct to reverse it.