Offensive Inteference

Hernan Ferrea
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3463 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I need your help with this. Because I have a huge argument with the Chief Umpire about it.

1 out, R1, Batter with 2 strikes on the count.

R1 goes on the pitch, Batter swings and struck out, with the swings blocks the catcher on his attempt to take R1 out at 2nd. PU calls interference on the batter. What do we do with the runner?

Option A): Use rule 6.06© and put R1 backs into 1B.

Option B): Use rule 7.09(d) call the runner out also for the interference of the batter.

Thank You

I need your help with this. Because I have a huge argument with the Chief Umpire about it.

R1 goes on the pitch, Batter swings and struck out, with the swings blocks the catcher on his attempt to take R1 out at 2nd. PU calls interference on the batter. What do we do with the runner?

Option B): Use rule 7.09(d) call the runner out also for the interference of the batter.

Thank You

Backswing or a step across the plate?

Thank You

he said "blocks the catcher" in the OP, .... sounds/reads like "step across" to me

• Like 2

Thank You

Cross across the plate

7.09(e):  Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored, hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate;

Isn't that what I said?  :question1:

• Like 1

7.09(e):  Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored, hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate;

Based on the OP, I think he was looking for a rule cite.  Neither of his two options were correct, so I supplied the right one.  So yes, you said it - I just said it better.  :)

• Like 1

Thank You

he said "blocks the catcher" in the OP, .... sounds/reads like "step across" to me

I was pretty sure that's what he meant but I wanted to be really sure.

in all rule sets?

In OBR - no penalty for swinging too hard, just runners return.

FED treats backswing INT (now called 'follow-through INT') the same as normal batter INT.

I would not say it like this.

There's never any penalty, period, for "swinging too hard." That's not an infraction.

There IS a penalty for backswing INT, as defined by rule: that penalty is returning the runners to their TOP bases.

There is no further penalty for backswing INT in OBR, specifically, nobody is called out for the infraction.

• Like 1

in all rule sets?
In OBR - no penalty for swinging too hard, just runners return.

FED treats backswing INT (now called 'follow-through INT') the same as normal batter INT.

I would not say it like this.

There's never any penalty, period, for "swinging too hard." That's not an infraction.

There IS a penalty for backswing INT, as defined by rule: that penalty is returning the runners to their TOP bases.

There is no further penalty for backswing INT in OBR, specifically, nobody is called out for the infraction.

Yeah, failed attempt at a joke. Bad move on my part considering it's a thread where someone is trying to learn. All good intentions, scout's honor.

Thanks, Maven

Based on the OP, I think he was looking for a rule cite.  Neither of his two options were correct, so I supplied the right one.  So yes, you said it - I just said it better.   :)

MLB Rules 7.09 (e) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner. 

The 7.09 (d) is the one that covers that interference.

Based on the OP, I think he was looking for a rule cite.  Neither of his two options were correct, so I supplied the right one.  So yes, you said it - I just said it better.   :)

MLB Rules 7.09 (e) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner. 

I think you're working from an older version of OBR.  I pasted 7.09(e) from the 2014 book, and it's the correct rule.  

Yeah, failed attempt at a joke. Bad move on my part considering it's a thread where someone is trying to learn. All good intentions, scout's honor.

Thanks, Maven

No worries. FWIW, I got the joke, but posted for the reason you mention (trying to learn/get it right).

I didn't mean to impugn your intentions! :)

• Like 1

I think you're working from an older version of OBR.  I pasted 7.09(e) from the 2014 book, and it's the correct rule.  

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/runner_7.jsp

And when you download the book, It shows 7.09 (e)...... Confusing.... Isn't it?

And when you download the book, It shows 7.09 (e)...... Confusing.... Isn't it?

Use the PDF - it's the most current.

• Like 1

Even with backswing interference, if the runner is retired with the initial throw, he is still called out along with the batter for strike three. You don't always send the runner back on backswing interference.

Incorrect for OBR.

If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire’s judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the backswing, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and no runner shall advance on the play.