Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4892 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Angel Hernandez got a lot of air time last night.

 

He was wearing an adjustable umpire cap. Was also sporting it today.

 

Discuss....

Posted

I had a partner a few weeks ago with an adjustable beanie.

 

Back on topic, Angel has been sporting that cap quite a bit lately.  Now that it's warmed up in a bunch of stadiums not sure why he needs it.  Maybe another way to get some of that aforementioned air time

Posted

Maybe he is just proving to us all he should be fired and is one of the worst umpires in MLB.  Still amazed they allow this guy to be a CC.

  • Like 1
Posted

Been wearing it for weeks.....

Has been discussed on other threads.....

Jeff...don't be mad :wave: ...I did not search before I posted. Plus I spend most of my time here in the Equipment Forum and don't really check the other ones.

Posted

Maybe he is just proving to us all he should be fired and is one of the worst umpires in MLB.  Still amazed they allow this guy to be a CC.

Minnz and HeadHunterLA you want him to be fired and you both want to be hire to take his place

Posted

Maybe he is just proving to us all he should be fired and is one of the worst umpires in MLB.  Still amazed they allow this guy to be a CC.

Wow... I hear the bus.. a guy makes it pretty far, and miss a few calls on HDTV..and you say he's the worst and should be fired... you ever wonder maybe Angel likes to wear that hat?....who the F*&k cares what kind of hat he is wearing...LOL... worry about something else. Lifes too short to worry about a hat..( well actually a Cap)

Posted

Wow...I stirred up the hornets nest.

Just thought I was odd that he had an adjustable hat. I am surprised they have that option. In my high school and college association it would be deemed unacceptable.

Posted

I think it's hilarious that this group of umpires, a bretheren so to speak can be so two-faced, ....it's laughable.

 

This is the same group of people who always preach DO NOT WEAR AN ADJUSTABLE CAP ....hell, people have gone as far as to say don't wear a stretch-fit cap, even if you can't tell it's not fitted.

 

HOWEVER.....  God forbid someone brings up the fact that an umpire at the HIGHEST LEVEL has been seen wearing an adjustable constantly this Spring, and all of the sudden it's "WHO CARES????"

 

Stay consistent people!!  :shakehead:  :shrug:   :TD:  :bang:

  • Like 2
Posted

Yeah, I'm kind of scratching my head, too. This forum has page after page after page of posts about the purdiest looking pants, tucking in your jackets, creasing your caps and polishing your shoes. Then an umpire at a level where you'd think they know better breaks one of the cardinal rules of umpire uniforms and it's like, "So what?".

 

Who cares? I thought that you guys cared!

  • Like 1
Posted

You guys curse him, I find him revolutionary.  He's paving the way for guys like that me that dream of a day where I can wear a visor on the field. Now if just one of them would wear cargo shorts, t-shirt, and white sneakers we'll be set! 

  • Like 2
Posted

 

Maybe he is just proving to us all he should be fired and is one of the worst umpires in MLB.  Still amazed they allow this guy to be a CC.

Wow... I hear the bus.. a guy makes it pretty far, and miss a few calls on HDTV..and you say he's the worst and should be fired... you ever wonder maybe Angel likes to wear that hat?....who the F*&k cares what kind of hat he is wearing...LOL... worry about something else. Lifes too short to worry about a hat..( well actually a Cap)

 

Oh I am not saying just based on a call he missed the other night.  I have found him IMO to be one of the worst umpires year in and year out at the MLB level.  I never said I can do it better than him, but there are for sure guys stuck in AAA that could and deserve to.  Being a CC though it is like a Supreme Court Justice, you decide when to be done.

 

Just because he is an MLB umpire does that mean I can't say he is sub-par?

 

Also, I think it is amazing, others have pointed this out, we rip on HS or College guys for bad jackets or shirts or hats yet an MLB guy does it and we saw who cares?  

 

They got to the highest level, none of us here have, and good for them.  Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or shouldn't be criticized when appropriate as in this case!

Posted

It's an embarassment, why someone in the office or another veteran crew chief doesn't talk to him about this is beyond me. If I ever saw him at a game I'd present him with one after the game. 

Posted

I'm the "who cares?" guy, fellas.

 

He may have a ligitmate reason why he's wearing that lid. Maybe it's comfort, fit, a non-verbal salute to someone that matters to him. Who knows. And I'm sure he knows the only folks who will notice, much less care, are umpire geeks.

 

Perhaps he's giving the finger, in his own unique way, to the geeks.

 

As far as looks goes, the HSM is far worse looking to me. So are rope necklaces, extra weight, and mustaches of any sort. And don't start me on the short sleeved mocks.....................................

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm also in the who cares category. Never been one to care about these little things. Just match colors and go have fun.

Posted

Jax and Kyle,

 

You can wear white Converse All-Stars with a Tuxedo but is it apporpriate or just something to draw attention to yourself?

 

To wear an adjustable hat is a signal you really don't care about looking like a professional umpire. I hope he decides to start wearing bright red SH*#s in the summer months so it looks good and consistent with his headware. I'll obviously never be as good as he is adjusted to be since I 'll never be in The Show, but at least I look sort of professional when I'm on the field. 

Posted

My assessment of this topic:

 

1. Angel Hernandez is not the best professional umpire in the business but he is still a phenomenal umpire in the grand scheme of things.

2. If I was a professional umpire would I want to be on his crew...YES...why...because he is the type of umpire who takes all the heat upon himself and protects his partners to a point where they are rarely noticed.

3. A lof of us as umpires strive to look professional...he is professional. I don't know what this means for our assessment but it may have a place in the thought.

4. I would never wear an adjustable hat on a field.

Posted

Kyle,I was basically with you right up to no mustaches. I really don't get the aversion to them. I don't like buckets but they is a personal choice, as long as you don't walk around with it stuck on top of your head. ANY TYPE of jewelry on an umpire is stupid.ANY TYPE!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

×
×
  • Create New...