Pickoff from the Windup: Part 2

jroller

Question

10 answers to this question

So here is a related question to the topic brought up in this thread: Pickoff from the Windup

Is it possible to be in the windup and attempt a pickoff to 2nd?

The comment on the rule states that the pitcher may "step and throw to a base." Is that even possible to 2nd? If so, how?

Why wouldn't it be?

Maybe I should be more specific: ....without disengaging from the rubber first and without balking, as you could easily do to first or third?  I cannot visualize how it could be done.

So here is a related question to the topic brought up in this thread: Pickoff from the Windup

Is it possible to be in the windup and attempt a pickoff to 2nd?

The comment on the rule states that the pitcher may "step and throw to a base." Is that even possible to 2nd? If so, how?

Why wouldn't it be?

Maybe I should be more specific: ....without disengaging from the rubber first and without balking, as you could easily do to first or third?  I cannot visualize how it could be done.

Before you start your pitching motion, pivot around and step. Doesn't seem very hard to me.

If this is OK, then why have the stretch at all?

1. Pickoff from the windup is illegal in FED.

2. Pickoff motion from the set is much easier.

3. Delivery to the plate from the set is much faster, making a throw down more likely to retire a runner stealing.

Excuse me if you were being facetious. You didn't use a smiley to trigger my facetiousness detectors. :)

• Like 2

I just tried it. It feels quicker and more stable when I disengage first.

So you answered the "which is better" question when what was asked originally is "is it legal".  And you would have more of the element of surprise on your side if you only used this once in a while so that could make up for quite a bit of the quickness aspect.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DontSuck1977
      NFHS Rules - Summer HSDL - Sub Varsity Level.
      The pitcher brought his hands together down low,  raised them about shoulder height and finally came to complete stop around about the chest area. He kind of stopped at different points however the motion fairly continuous, and he did finally stopped at the end.  Did, he balk?
    • By Mad Mike
      OBR Rule Set:
      Runner on First, outs don't matter. Pitcher rolls through coming set, delivers ball (count was 2-1). Umpires call "Balk". Batter takes pitch without swinging. R1 stealing on the pitch. Catcher throws it into centerfield.
      R1 rounds second and heads for third. 
      I think there was an error when the "Time" was called and the runner was placed back at second. R1 should have been allowed to advance at his own jeopardy. If he made third, then bonus for him. If he was thrown out, then under OBR-he is out.  We would nullify the pitch and play on, correct?

• By Thunderheads
      Hi all ...
      I'm losing my mind .... (at least I think I am) but ....  A dropped ball by a pitcher is a balk (that doesn't cross the foul line) ONLY if he's touching the pitchers plate, yes?  Why do I think I remember seeing "either on the rubber or straddling" ??   All I'm finding is 6-2-4a
      Help! Thanks!
    • By chalen
      OBR. R1, stealing on the pitch. The pitcher using the set position balks by failing to come to a discernible stop but delivers the pitch. The batter lays down a bunt. F2 fields the batted ball and throws out the batter-runner at 1B. Obviously we have a no-pitch and we will enforce the balk. Because the batter did not achieve 1B, do we kill the play immediately when the out is recorded at 1B, regardless the location of R1? If R1 was already on 3B when the out was recorded, is R1 still returned to 2B?
    • By chalen
      R1 and R2 (on 1B and 2B, of course). The pitcher balks with a feint to 1B, then throws the ball past 1B. R2 scores, but R1 (who dove back to 1B and was slow to advance), is tagged out while attempting to reach 2B. So we enforce the balk. Obviously R1 gets 2B. Is R2 returned to 3B?