Davis v. Smitty v. Honigs pant battle royal

BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2532 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I imagine this has already been discussed in the past. But with the new Polywool pants introduced into the market by Gerry Davis, it has added a new dimension to the topic.

For the longest time, I have always been a Honigs guy for pants. But with the supposed decline in quality. I am now looking for an alternate.

So I am asking you guys for comparisons between the new Davis/Feicheimer pants, the new version of the Honigs Polywool, and the Smitty Polywool sold by @UADirOps

Thanks.

(Side Question: I think I had bought a pair of Smitty's in the past and the base pants had white pockets. Is that still the case?)

Not having had a chance to really look over all three, I don't have much input to share that'd be meaningful to what you're looking for. I am leaning towards the Davis pants myself as I like the expander waistband of the Smitty polyester pants and the Smitty pants have gotten some mixed reviews in the past.

I've worn both the Honigs and Smitty pants. I prefer the Honigs and that is what all of my current pants are. I like the adjustable waist that locks into place as opposed to the waistband of the Smitty. I also found that the hem in my Smitty pants kept coming out, and I used two different tailors. This has never happened with my Honigs pants. I've never worn the Davis/Fechmeier pants.

On 2/21/2016 at 9:06 PM, Welpe said:

The Honig's polywool has an adjustable waist?

Others are correct, it's the Ultimate pant and that's what I wear. I have no desire to wear wool blend slacks in the summer nor pants that I have to dry clean. I know some of you guys love them and that's great, just not for me.

20 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

Others are correct, it's the Ultimate pant and that's what I wear. I have no desire to wear wool blend slacks in the summer nor pants that I have to dry clean. I know some of you guys love them and that's great, just not for me.

I wash mine in cold water and hang them to dry.

• Like 1

I have Honigs poly wools, the GD pants and the new GD poly wools, I just got in.  The Honigs poly wools of 2-3 years ago are great, but the new reviews on the current ones are very mixed.  The regular GD Charcoal pants are great, I wear them quite a bit in the summer when doing Legion.  I just got the new GD poly wools and I really like them.  I wear a size 40 in the regular GD and a size 42 in the Honigs poly wools.  I had to order a 44 for GD poly wools because they are the flying cross pant.  I tried them on with shirts tucked in and belt on.  They feel great.  They are going to be hemmed this week and I am looking forward to wearing them this year.  Everyone has their own opinion about pants. we wear poly wools for everything we do except summer ball.  But in our association we have several college umpires and even a MLB umpire so that is what we want our guys to wear even in high school.  

I wore the new Honigs PWs for the first time Saturday. The material is not nearly as heavy/thick as the old stuff, so they don't hang as well as the old ones. I need to see about getting a traveler's crease put in them also. Disappointed in Honigs...charging the same money for inferior products. 

Received the Gerry Davis PW's the other day. First impressions...same exact color and feel of the Honig's PW's. After reading reviews, I ordered one size up from my Honig's's PW's. Thank you. 36 in Honig's equals 38 in GD PW. This is exactly what I needed. Very comfortable fit with the expandable waistband. Just turned the pants over to my personal tailor. Mom says she'll have them done in a few days. ;)

first games of 2016 start tomorrow. Yes, outdoor baseball in Minnesota, in February! Can't wait!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Mr Ump said:

Do the Fetcheimer POly Wools from Gerry Davis have the expander waist band?

Yes. And FYI - several are saying to size up for the GD pants. If you have been fitted by a tailor and know your exact waist size (not what you grab off the rack at Kohls), order those. I took everyone's advice and ordered a size bigger and I'm swimming in them.

8 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

Yes. And FYI - several are saying to size up for the GD pants. If you have been fitted by a tailor and know your exact waist size (not what you grab off the rack at Kohls), order those. I took everyone's advice and ordered a size bigger and I'm swimming in them.

Yeah I tape measured myself and ordered that size. Hopefully they fit or I will send them back for a correct fit. Thanks.

2 hours ago, dl1340 said:

So the new Gerry Davis Polywools match the color of Hongis Polywools? I need another set of pants to rotate in with my hongis polywools and don't like the new hongis pants

What about the Honig's don't you like?

11 minutes ago, umpstu said:

What about the Honig's don't you like?

I noticed they are 'lighter" and 'thinner' than the original Honig's. And the creases seem to fall out from the ones I have noticed others wearing. I think the material is different as well as the dye color. 

Like above users posted, i went by my local honigs store and took my old ones in to compare to new ones they where selling. New ones material was way lighter in feel and the pants just didn't look the quality of the old pants I have now