Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2607 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

We've seen the fun that ensues with rule changes in the Atlantic League. 

But what rule changes would you like to see?

When suggesting your rule change please:

  1. Reference the rule set so we're all on the same page (all rule sets welcome) 
  2. Sell me on why this needs to be done and how baseball or umpiring will benefit from your proposed change. 
Posted

Fed: Scrap the book and go to NCAA.

NCAA: Scrap the DH and follow OBR.

Do I need to convince anyone?

  • Like 1
Posted

FED: Change the windup TOP to the OBR interp.

FED: Change the immediate dead ball on a balk to delayed dead ball. Enforce the balk or give the coach a choice of the play. I pride myself on my knowledge of when to call time on an OBR/NCAA balk but I couldn't guarantee that would happen correctly with all FED umps. I seen amateur OBR umps who don't have a clue.

  • Like 1
Posted

FED: Throw away the jewelry rule

FED: Adopt the new NCAA intentional HBP rule

FED: Live-ball balks (:Horse: - I know)

  • Like 1
Posted

OBR/NCAA: Allow dead ball appeals, save the time from the Kabuki Theater that too often happens (esp at levels below actual professional baseball), ask what you gotta ask, and move on with life

Fed: don't listen to any of the above  ;) :wacko:

Posted
3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

FED: Change the windup TOP to the OBR interp.

FED: Change the immediate dead ball on a balk to delayed dead ball. Enforce the balk or give the coach a choice of the play. I pride myself on my knowledge of when to call time on an OBR/NCAA balk but I couldn't guarantee that would happen correctly with all FED umps. I seen amateur OBR umps who don't have a clue.

Why not just make it the OBR rule? 

Posted
16 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Why not just make it the OBR rule? 

Because “the OBR rule is too complicated” for our umpires. Actual quote from a PONY/OBR UIC. They used coach choice. 

Posted

 

2 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Because “the OBR rule is too complicated” for our umpires. Actual quote from a PONY/OBR UIC. They used coach choice. 

Oh... Didn't know all runners advancing a base was complicated...

Posted
4 hours ago, Jimurray said:

FED: Change the windup TOP to the OBR interp.

FED: Change the immediate dead ball on a balk to delayed dead ball. Enforce the balk or give the coach a choice of the play. I pride myself on my knowledge of when to call time on an OBR/NCAA balk but I couldn't guarantee that would happen correctly with all FED umps. I seen amateur OBR umps who don't have a clue.

Which is why I think the Fed balk rule should remain an immediate dead ball.  It's not worth all of the poor handling of the delayed dead ball balk just to allow a handful of home runs and base hits following balks that happen on a national level per year.  Can you imagine a solo umpire in a freshman game getting this right?

  • Like 1
Posted

Thought experiment:

What if they went back to the original rule where a batter could request a "low ball," a "high ball," or a "fair ball."  And, what if they changed it to 2 strikes and 3 balls for an at-bat?  And, deadened the ball a bit to provide more value for non-home runs.

Potential result: More action.  Fewer relief pitchers (because fewer pitches per at-bat).  Probably faster games.

Posted
50 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

 

Oh... Didn't know all runners advancing a base was complicated...

Had a thread on another site where this was debated. One staunch advocate of changing FED balk to OBR balk kicked the rule when the sit was a balk with a wild pickoff and R1 was thrown out at 3B. I don't think it's complicated either but......

Posted

Any new rules that would make the analytics say/prove by the numbers, that using little ball in more situations was the analytical correct choice to make.

Having to step back off the rubber before throwing to first to improve the running game, as is being tried in the Atlantic League now.= No spin moves by right hander and no stepping to imaginary 45 foot lines by left handers to the plate since umpires cannot use a protractor.

No dh= self explanatory.

Posted
11 hours ago, kylehutson said:

FED: Throw away the jewelry rule

 

Why would you do that?

 

Then again, I would outlaw flat-billed hats and long pants.  :beerbang

Posted
20 hours ago, scrounge said:

OBR/NCAA: Allow dead ball appeals, save the time from the Kabuki Theater that too often happens (esp at levels below actual professional baseball), ask what you gotta ask, and move on with life

Fed: don't listen to any of the above  ;) :wacko:

FED: Disallow dead ball appeals.  Make them earn it as the others do.

Posted
12 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Why would you do that?

Because
1) It's legal everywhere else
2) They are all wearing them anyway, and largely ignored by umpires anyway
3) It doesn't meet its goal ("player safety") - I've umpired hundreds of games where players are wearing necklaces and have yet to see anybody injured by them

6 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Then again, I would outlaw flat-billed hats and long pants.  :beerbang

4) It's not my job to be the fashion police. You want to look like a dork, that's your problem, not mine.

  • Like 1
Posted
On 8/7/2019 at 10:44 AM, yawetag said:

Fed: Scrap the book and go to NCAA.

This would actually fix my FED concerns.  BUT...

NCAA needs to fix their Wind up/ set position rules. Go back to the old days, if your toes are pointing the plate your in the wind up, if they are pointing at 1st/3rd you're in the set. 

All codes get the NCAA ability for the umpire to issue suspensions on the field.  

  • Like 2
Posted
7 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Because
1) It's legal everywhere else
2) They are all wearing them anyway, and largely ignored by umpires anyway
3) It doesn't meet its goal ("player safety") - I've umpired hundreds of games where players are wearing necklaces and have yet to see anybody injured by them

4) It's not my job to be the fashion police. You want to look like a dork, that's your problem, not mine.

 

I’m playing a little Devil’s Advocate here ...

1) Define “everywhere”.  Pretty sure most youth leagues don’t allow jewelry.

2) Shame on those umpires for not following the rulebook.  Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you get to ignore it.  Maybe I think it’s wimpy for a batter to take his base after getting hit.  Stand up there and bat like a man; I’m not calling HPBs!  :stir

3) I hate this point in an argument.  Just because you have never seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.  I have seen players injured by their jewelry on the field, that doesn’t mean every player that wears jewelry will get hurt by it.  

4) We agree that it looks stupid!  (Just like jewelry in a game, but that’s not why it should be illegal.)

 

My personal feelings on jewelry — I don’t know why you would want to wear it while playing.  

I think it can pose a hazard ... I know it can pose a hazard as I’ve seen it.  NFHS has the rule right though: NO.  In softball, USA Softball declares it is the umpire’s discretion if it is a potential hazard.  For the longest time my discretion has been been NO.  I’m not judging what earrings and necklaces are hazardous and what ones are safe; I’m saying NO.  USSSA adopted this same rule BUT THEN undercut its umpires by issuing a rule interpretation on specific jewelry that is OK.  At that point I said “screw it, I’m done”.  So ... I am in favor of a rule that says NO.  If you don’t have a rule that says NO, I’m no longer making a judgment call though.

Posted
7 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

This would actually fix my FED concerns.  BUT...

NCAA needs to fix their Wind up/ set position rules. Go back to the old days, if your toes are pointing the plate your in the wind up, if they are pointing at 1st/3rd you're in the set. 

All codes get the NCAA ability for the umpire to issue suspensions on the field.  

 

I honestly don’t know if it was rule changes or lack of rule changes ... but pitching in general has become a sh!t-show.  Double taps, multiple steps/leg lifts, pauses ... honestly it looks as if all the pitching rules from when I played have been tossed out.

Posted
20 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Because
1) It's legal everywhere else
2) They are all wearing them anyway, and largely ignored by umpires anyway
3) It doesn't meet its goal ("player safety") - I've umpired hundreds of games where players are wearing necklaces and have yet to see anybody injured by them

4) It's not my job to be the fashion police. You want to look like a dork, that's your problem, not mine.

I totally agree.

I'm watching my daughters varsity HS softball game her senior year (2010).  She comes up to bat her first time in one game that literally meant nothing forgetting to take out her stud earrings.  I mean these were small, 1/8" dia. As soon as she steps in the box the PU ejects her from the game for jewelry.  I was speechless.  The head coach got tossed next. I can chuckle about it now but wow.

Posted
1 hour ago, urout17 said:

I totally agree.

I'm watching my daughters varsity HS softball game her senior year (2010).  She comes up to bat her first time in one game that literally meant nothing forgetting to take out her stud earrings.  I mean these were small, 1/8" dia. As soon as she steps in the box the PU ejects her from the game for jewelry.  I was speechless.  The head coach got tossed next. I can chuckle about it now but wow.

First there is IMO a difference between a little jewelry, and being blinged out. 

I don't mind innocuous jewelry pieces. But when the kid comes up to bat with 3 chains earings and blinged out is just too much. I've often wanted to do what your umpire did and toss the kid.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

First there is IMO a difference between a little jewelry, and being blinged out. 

I don't mind innocuous jewelry pieces. But when the kid comes up to bat with 3 chains earings and blinged out is just too much. I've often wanted to do what your umpire did and toss the kid.

And that's why there's a rule. To define what's too much is nearly impossible. 

Changes I's like to see..

NCAA adopt FED DH

FED adopt NCAA HBP

FED and NCAA relax the hybrid pitching rule. 

Posted
4 hours ago, urout17 said:

I totally agree.

I'm watching my daughters varsity HS softball game her senior year (2010).  She comes up to bat her first time in one game that literally meant nothing forgetting to take out her stud earrings.  I mean these were small, 1/8" dia. As soon as she steps in the box the PU ejects her from the game for jewelry.  I was speechless.  The head coach got tossed next. I can chuckle about it now but wow.

 

I’ll even say it ... that is just ridiculous.  I did approach an ejection one time but it was because the player and coach were being disrespectful and playing games when instructed to remove the jewelry four times.

First inning: I noticed the earrings and told the player to remove them.

Second inning: I noticed them again and advised the player and coach to remove them.

Third inning: Player comes out with bandaids over them.  I follow her to the dugout and issue a warning to the player and coach. Then I hear all kinds of excuses: she just had them done, they are permanent, etc. ... I asked if she was going to play school ball in the fall.  She said yes.  I advised her NFHS flat out says NO, so her career in school ball is over if they are permanent.  She was coming up to bat to lead off the top of the inning and the coach asked if I was going to call her out.  I said “No coach, I am going to eject her if she comes on the field again.  She has been told four times now.”  Coach asks “So then what, we have to take an out?”  I advise “No coach, by rule the game is over and you forfeit because you have no subs to fill the ejected player’s spot.”

Amazing how fast they came out.  I wasn’t going to eject her for the jewelry, I was going to eject her for their shenigans,

 

As I said though, I am no longer judging that.  I like the NFHS rule of NO and will enforce it all day long.  However I am tired of having arguments in codes that won’t back their own rules though.

Why do I feel that way?  I have seen a girl turn her head on a ground ball that hopped and hit her in the ear.  It shoved the post of her “little harmless stud” into her neck.  Mom and dad took her to the hospital.  I’ve seen a batter get hit in the ear and the post punctured the skin (not near as serious as the other, but enough for blood to stream).  I’ve seen a baseball player go head first into second and his necklace scratched his throat enough for blood to flow.  Any of those could have been worse and all of them happened, whether you saw it or not.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...