High School 2018 Rule Changes

mw94
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2477 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

43 minutes ago, lawump said:

Now, that the press release has been issued I can state this: I think the biggest change you will find in 2018 is that the casebook will be updated to reflect runner designations that are used by all of the other organizations.  That is, R1 will be the runner on first at the start of the play, R2 will be the runner on second at the start of the play, etc., etc., etc.

Cue the resounding THUD! as @VolUmp's jaw hits the floor.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, lawump said:

Now, that the press release has been issued I can state this: I think the biggest change you will find in 2018 is that the casebook will be updated to reflect runner designations that are used by all of the other organizations.  That is, R1 will be the runner on first at the start of the play, R2 will be the runner on second at the start of the play, etc., etc., etc.

This has got to be the fakest fake news ever!

7 hours ago, lawump said:

Can you tell me why, then, was I told via email from Elliott Hoskins, "We are not interested in changing our runner designations."????

8 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Can you tell me why, then, was I told via email from Elliott Hoskins, "We are not interested in changing our runner designations."????

I will decline attempting to answer your question for these reasons:  First, I was not a party to any email conversation you may have had with Mr. Hopkins, nor did I read a transcript of any such conversation, so I cannot and will not comment on anything that may or may not have been said in any such conversation.  Second, I have no authority to speak on behalf of the rules committee, the NFHS nor any employee of the NFHS.  Thus, I cannot and will not attempt to speak on behalf of Mr. Hopkins.  Third, with the exception of when I am being paid to be someone's attorney, I make it a habit not to speak on behalf of anyone else.  Nothing good can come of it, and, in fact, bad can come of it.  So for that personal reason, I will not attempt to answer your question.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, lawump said:

Somebody cue the Hallelujah chorus!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Maybe because they had already changed them? Lol

8 hours ago, stkjock said:

148 words and says nothing...  written like a true lawyer..   @lawump :lol:

I too thought that was well done.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 7:15 PM, BT_Blue said:

Maybe because they had already changed them?

This actually did occur to me, but then the more I think about it, I think it's a clear cut case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I don't even know if Mr. Hopkins is a baseball expert. He never claimed to be, and he's only listed as an editor.

On 7/6/2017 at 6:15 PM, BT_Blue said:

This has got to be the fakest fake news ever!

Hahaha okay so my fantasy football league has a 27 club, which is $2 per week per person and if your team is the only one to score 27 points, you get the pot. This was a MNF game, and nobody all week had scored 27 points. This game happened to be tied at 27, with the Browns lining up the game winning field goal. Whoever had the Ravens had to be thrilled that they were going to get the pot for this week, and the accumulation of any previous weeks. Then it gets blocked and the Ravens score and win, so whoever had the BROWNS actually won the money. Funny how misfortune for their team resulted in a win for the 27 club. 

6 hours ago, VolUmp said:

This actually did occur to me, but then the more I think about it, I think it's a clear cut case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I don't even know if Mr. Hopkins is a baseball expert. He never claimed to be, and he's only listed as an editor.

The president of my HS association was one of his instructors at Brinkman's school.

48 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

are we going to be checking more equipment in years to come? :no: 

I can never predict what the committee will or will not do...But, I highly doubt it. 

At the plate meeting I ask, "are all players properly and legally equipped according to Federation rules?"  and "Are bats, helmets and all equipment proper and legal according to Federation rules?"

Coaches will just have to learn that when they answer those questions beginning in 2019 and 2020, respectively, that they will also be certifying that the baseballs are legal (NFHS and NOCSAE stamps) and that the catcher's chest protector is legal.

• Like 1

in PA, we're required to recite the sportsmanship code at the plate meeting to coaches & captains.  In there it reads "Coaches, please certify to the contest officials that your teams are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules, and PIAA adoptions."

27 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

in PA, we're required to recite the sportsmanship code at the plate meeting to coaches & captains.  In there it reads "Coaches, please certify to the contest officials that your teams are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules, and PIAA adoptions."

Legal Arse Covering. Bullfeathers.

This is an admission by the state that coaches are either negligent or stupid. 

I'm sorry @VolUmp, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  It was a statement responding to @Thunderheads while adding to @lawump response.  There were some sportsmanship issues (several years ago) in the Western part of the state, and this is now a requirement.  So, your statement of "This is an admission by the state that coaches are either negligent or stupid" obviously has no bearing on their determination as to why to mandate this.  The funny thing is, each state can mandate certain things of their officials.  This is one of ours.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UMP45 said:

The president of my HS association was one of his instructors at Brinkman's school.

I didn't know the President (Mr. Hopkins) of the Carolina League went to umpire school and was a NF editor. You learn things all the time here.

5 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

I didn't know the President (Mr. Hopkins) of the Carolina League went to umpire school and was a NF editor. You learn things all the time here.

Wrong Hopkins.