Season begins

Pete Peterson Sr
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3375 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So the high school season begins here on Monday, and I have a varsity DH, featuring two of our contracted schools. Both are very solid teams. Now the forecast calls for sleet/freezing rain/snow beginning around midnight Monday morning. Host school send a text letting me know that they are pushing the games back to Tuesday, but no one expects to be playing then, either. The high for Wednesday is expected to be 35, and rain moves in on Friday into Saturday. So, it could be that between the inclement weather, cold, rain, and soggy fields, there may be no baseball played in central Alabama this coming week. What a great way to start the season !

• Like 1

So the high school season begins here on Monday, and I have a varsity DH, featuring two of our contracted schools. Both are very solid teams. Now the forecast calls for sleet/freezing rain/snow beginning around midnight Monday morning. Host school send a text letting me know that they are pushing the games back to Tuesday, but no one expects to be playing then, either. The high for Wednesday is expected to be 35, and rain moves in on Friday into Saturday. So, it could be that between the inclement weather, cold, rain, and soggy fields, there may be no baseball played in central Alabama this coming week. What a great way to start the season !

Sounds like a typical spring here in eastern PA.

Hope you get them in and have a great season!

• Like 2

Sounds like a typical spring here in eastern PA.

Hope you get them in and have a great season!

HAHA. Thinking the same thing...Typical March in the Northeast. 35 with sleet and rain would be welcomed right about now. 17 and snowing right now. Wind chill -7. Got games scheduled in 4 weeks. Think I got a shot of getting them in??? Hey, at least I'm not in Boston.  :fuel:

• Like 2

Sounds like a typical spring here in eastern PA. Hope you get them in and have a great season!
HAHA. Thinking the same thing...Typical March in the Northeast. 35 with sleet and rain would be welcomed right about now. 17 and snowing right now. Wind chill -7. Got games scheduled in 4 weeks. Think I got a shot of getting them in??? Hey, at least I'm not in Boston. :fuel:
Not that far away from you Rich. Sitting here listening to the wind howl and hoping they don't cancel the plate clinic today. Temp is 7 with a WC in the -20's. First game is five weeks from yesterday and I can't see it happening. (Or the other three scheduled for that week.)

Wow, some of you are working already, must be nice. All I work is HS ball; want to know when my first game is? May 27th, we play HS ball late here in Iowa. Not that I could be working games any time soon anyway; it's currently 5 degrees with a wind chill of -9 in my neck of the woods. 

For those of you who live in areas where snowbirds winter over, are there some of those guys that work games while they're down there in the winter? That's something I might try to do when I retire in another 11 or 12 years. It would be a nice way to meet some folks in the community and make a little extra retirement $$.

Wow, some of you are working already, must be nice. All I work is HS ball; want to know when my first game is? May 27th, we play HS ball late here in Iowa. Not that I could be working games any time soon anyway; it's currently 5 degrees with a wind chill of -9 in my neck of the woods. 

For those of you who live in areas where snowbirds winter over, are there some of those guys that work games while they're down there in the winter? That's something I might try to do when I retire in another 11 or 12 years. It would be a nice way to meet some folks in the community and make a little extra retirement $$.

Wow, suddenly I don't feel so bad.  When do schools let out for the summer in Iowa?

There is a group of guys in our HS association that also umpire NCAA games.  They pack up for a couple of weeks every year in late February/early March and head to Florida to work college games.  It seems like they have a really good time.

Double header yesterday in the 80s.  Had to wear pro blue instead of black it was so hot!   :wave:

Same here in San Diego yesterday, pro-blue instead if black for my HS DH!

It was cooler today for my travelball DH. Wore black for the 8am game, but switched to pro-blue for the 10:30 game. It was probably in the low 70's.

What's snow?

• Like 2

Double header yesterday in the 80s. Had to wear pro blue instead of black it was so hot! :wave:
You suck. I'm happy for you, but you still suck.

If it makes you feel any better, I took a 58 foot fastball to the left inner thigh on the first batter.

At least you were in the field.

Double header yesterday in the 80s. Had to wear pro blue instead of black it was so hot! :wave:

You suck. I'm happy for you, but you still suck. If it makes you feel any better, I took a 58 foot fastball to the left inner thigh on the first batter. Dude, I think that's outside regulations.

Wow, suddenly I don't feel so bad.  When do schools let out for the summer in Iowa?

There is a group of guys in our HS association that also umpire NCAA games.  They pack up for a couple of weeks every year in late February/early March and head to Florida to work college games.  It seems like they have a really good time.

High schools are finished in my area right around Memorial Day so the kids play most of their season after school lets out. Personally, I wish they would start the season around mid April but I don't think they ever will. Athletic directors like it played in the summer so they can get more kids out for soccer and track in the spring. The state tournament doesn't end until around August 1st, only a few weeks before school starts up again.

@Hawkman, please consider early retirement. We have too many games here in AZ for our supply of good umpires.

I have been to Trussville, nice area outside of Birmingham! I was supposed to have two scrimmage games this week, but our winter is hitting all at once. Snowing in Nashville now, may get 5"-6" today. We shall see!

• Like 1

@Hawkman, please consider early retirement. We have too many games here in AZ for our supply of good umpires.

Believe me my man if I could afford it I would. Unfortunately I'm probably going to have to go until at least the summer of age 64, another 11 years or so. My wife is 4 years younger than me and actually loves her job (weird huh) and will probably work for another 3 or 4 years after I retire. She's already been told that I'll be in Arizona for at least January-March at that point and will have to deal with Iowa winters on her own.

You suck. I'm happy for you, but you still suck.

If it makes you feel any better, I took a 58 foot fastball to the left inner thigh on the first batter.

see what happens when you make fun of us 'snowbirds' .. :D:wave:

(CAVEAT: Not that I'm glad you got hit,...I'm just messing)

0, 3, 0, 0, 4, 0

No, that's not the first 6 innings of work by your starting pitcher. That's the temperature that's showing on my rally car's dash when I start it up in the morning for the past six days.

@grayhawk, you and every other Californian, 'Zonan, Floridian, Texan, etc... I curse you all! :D

0, 3, 0, 0, 4, 0

No, that's not the first 6 innings of work by your starting pitcher. That's the temperature that's showing on my rally car's dash when I start it up in the morning for the past six days.

@grayhawk, you and every other Californian, 'Zonan, Floridian, Texan, etc... I curse you all! :D

At least your wind chill wasn't hitting -30.

My brother brought the winter with him to Georgia and then he moved back up here and we've been getting snow, rain, and wind. But then again, that's not much different from the start of the season in March, anyways. :lol:

Oh, but it was @Rulekeep, it was. My rally car doesn't understand something as subjective as Windchill.... which was –25º.

When the radio weatherperson says, "Sunday morning, overcast, brutally cold... ", you kinda take notice of that. My rally car does understand what cold does to air pressure, and is "cheerfully" reminding me that I parked it on an icy street next to a snowbank by alerting that the passenger side tires Have Low Tire Pressure! 

Grrrrrr... 

@Mad Max, once you get down that far, -25 is a BIG difference from -30.

HA. Here I am bitching about the cold and one of my prospective colleges is in FAIRBANKS.

Stay away from Fairbanks, my friends. Beautiful town. Do not go there between October and March.