Season begins

Pete Peterson Sr
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3375 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I really do not understand where all this California hatred is coming from... I almost think I need to go get my jacket.

Orange County, CA
Monday 2:00 PM
Partly Cloudy
partly_cloudy.png
°F | Â°C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 64%
Wind: 7 mph
Temperature

• Like 1

Our HS season was supposed to start today as well, but we're having the same weather here in GA as Pete Peterson in the OP. I'm bummed because I'm scheduled for a game today and Thursday.

In south GA where I'm currently working we should miss the nasty weather.

My first game, a 8th grade middle school game is this Wednesday.

Twelve below this morning and wind at 25 to 30 mph. After getting one of my Jeeps started I went by a field I regularly work on my way to the day job - somewhere near four feet of snow covering it.

But the bugs aren't bad.

Guess it looked something like this? 

https://twitter.com/JimCantore/status/565872156429787137/photo/1

So the game was moved to last night, and my partner and I kept the assignment. I worked the plate in game one, a 6 1/2 inning 6-1 game. Smooth as glass, and done in under two hours. Game two went 10 innings, in about three hours. Temperature when we walked off the field ? A brisk 23 degrees. But, opening games under my belt.

• Like 2

The forecasted high for my NCAA game Friday is 28.  And, I'm in the heart of Dixie.   It has been unusually cold this February, and these college kids do not like to move fast when its cold.  They become lethargic.  My average plate game so far is 3:14.  In fact, even my base jobs have all been over 3 hours.  (sigh).

The forecasted high for my NCAA game Friday is 28.  And, I'm in the heart of Dixie.   It has been unusually cold this February, and these college kids do not like to move fast when its cold.  They become lethargic.  My average plate game so far is 3:14.  In fact, even my base jobs have all been over 3 hours.  (sigh).

I'm sorry my friend, SC isn't the "Heart of Dixie". Alabama is, lol.

Last Saturday I worked my first games of the year.  It was 65 degrees and sunny here in Northwest Mississippi.  My partner and I wore short sleeves for both games that ended at 5:30.  By the time I got home around 7 the temp had dropped to almost 30 degrees.  Snow and ice soon followed and has shut down much of Northwest Mississippi/West Tennessee all week.  My wife and kids only went to school yesterday.  Out again today because of impending snow/sleet/ice this morning.  High school games start on the 27th.  Hopefully it will warm up in the next week, and stay warm.  

We may laugh now, but here in the CA central valley - it gets to 105-110 degrees in the middle of summer.  Then everyone else gets their laughs at us.

Don't kid yourself - those of us in the beach communities here in SoCal are laughing at you year round.   :wave:

We may laugh now, but here in the CA central valley - it gets to 105-110 degrees in the middle of summer. Then everyone else gets their laughs at us.

Don't kid yourself - those of us in the beach communities here in SoCal are laughing at you year round. :wave:

There is always one...