Plate or Combo Pants?

aiber
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2958 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When we made the switch to charcoal pants I bought a pair of Gerry Davis combo pants.  They don't feel quite right behind the plate or in the field.  I quickly upgraded to both plate and base pants.  Now, during the season, I always keep a pair of base, plate, and that combo pair in my vehicle.  The combos are my emergency pair for any issues(broken zipper, split seat, etc.) with my pants(luckily I've never actually needed to use them for that purpose).  I also may wear them in bad weather conditions to save my other pants the wear and tear.  

Go with base and plate pants, Honig's polywools if you can afford them. They look great and will last for years.

Honig's not supported by my association but thanks for the advice.

One of the top officiating retailers in the world "isn't supported by" your association?  Care to expand on why?

• Like 1

While I agree that you should have one pair (or more) for the plate and a different pair (or more) for the bases, combos can work for one of those, depending on your body type and shin guards.

If the base pants look tight, then you might need combos for the bases and plate for the plate.

If the plate pants look baggy, then you might need combos for the plate and base for the bases.

• Like 1

Go with base and plate pants, Honig's polywools if you can afford them. They look great and will last for years.

One of the top officiating retailers in the world "isn't supported by" your association?  Care to expand on why?

Probably because his organization has a "deal."  Or they want uniformity, which is not the case if you use different vendors.  You may not agree with the choice of vendor, that is not his problem.

Edited by LMSANS
fix typo

While I agree that you should have one pair (or more) for the plate and a different pair (or more) for the bases, combos can work for one of those, depending on your body type and shin guards.

If the base pants look tight, then you might need combos for the bases and plate for the plate.

If the plate pants look baggy, then you might need combos for the plate and base for the bases.

Perhaps I'll grab a pair of combos and if they don't look right at the plate I'll just use them for 9U games. Might not be a bad idea to keep an extra pair in my truck for unforeseen circumstances.

Probably because his organization has a "deal."  Or they want uniformity, which is not the case if you use different vendors.  You may not agree with the choice of vendor, that is not his problem.

It's not about agree or disagree...I asked a simple question about banning the top officiating retailer in the world.   

So an umpire who wants top shelf equipment (polywools) as one example is prevented from doing so b/c some guys in the group are afraid to open up their wallets.  

Good stuff right there.  Charcoal is probably banned and force them to wear the Heather Gray too.    Good stuff right there!!!

It's not about agree or disagree...I asked a simple question about banning the top officiating retailer in the world.   

Who said anything about "banning"?  "not supported" is a lot different than banning.  They want a standard color/style/whatever.  Not all members will pay top dollar no matter how dumb it may be.

(note to self...stay out of these equipment discussions! :shakehead: )

• Like 3

What I meant to write is that the umpire pants being used by our association are the Davis pants and we all have to match.

What I meant to write is that the umpire pants being used by our association are the Davis pants and we all have to match.

Honig's hasn't been "banned" at all. As a matter of fact, we buy our shirts from there. There is a local retail store nearby in Ft. LAUDERDALE.

My Mom's on the water on Cape Cod. I'm really worried about the tide level. Hope @boyinr and everyone else is safe and warm.

Thanks for the well wishes. I am a native New Englander living in the Tarheel State. Weather like this is the very reason I moved.

Gentlemen....changing the topic. Throat guard or not? Thanks...I searched the forums and couldn't find anything.

I didn't on my diamond cheapy mask, but I took a foul tip to the throat at the end of last year, now I wear one.

Here we go again.....

I've taken at least 1/2 dozen direct shots to my throat protector, over the years. I'd go several years without a blow, but last season took two in one game.  I can't imagine what would have happened to me if I hadn't be wearing one.

Check the gap you have between you mask and your chest protector when you're in your stance. Some guys don't need one. But I know I do, and can't imagine rolling out without one on.

Gentlemen....changing the topic. Throat guard or not? Thanks...I searched the forums and couldn't find anything.

A couple of years ago I had a HS catcher suffer a crush lyranx because he was not wearing a throat guard. I'll never work a game without one after that.