Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4878 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

i am a new umpire and i have worn prescription glasses for the past 5 years. Ii was not able to take my mask off consistently and naturaly with my glasses on but cant see without them. do i need to get contacts? Or sports goggles?

 

any one else have this problem?

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

I didn't mind his BigUmp's post.

 

It;s within the scope and may help the OP

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

I give .........

 

by the way, I just got another pair of replacement lenses for my Oakley Split Jackets :smachhead:  :shakehead:  :bang:

 

 

Don't give up!!! Fight for what you believe in!!!   Even if its wrong! :wave:

 

 

 

Just Plyin with ya! :rose:

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

I use to wear glasses only, then I started umpiring and got the typical stupid remarks. The next season I switched to contacts and have never looked back. 

 

But I do agree with the others in practicing taking the mask off. 

  • 0
Posted

Maybe it's just me, but I have NEVER heard a comment about my glasses while officiating a game.

 

I have been sprayed in the face with the top layer grit/silt on pitches "in the dirt" to the point that it "stung" my face and I was glad of the eye protection my glasses afforded so that I did not get that crap in my eyes. My lenses also have a UV protection coating which may very well put off the day I need cataract surgery.

 

JM

  • Like 4
  • 0
Posted

 

That is know as a sidebar to the original topic. Some website forums allow it and others don't.

That's a good term ...thanks, MrUmp ....

 

I just didn't want this to go off track from the original posters intention

 

Yeah, because we've never had that happen before.... :blah

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

 

 

That is know as a sidebar to the original topic. Some website forums allow it and others don't.

That's a good term ...thanks, MrUmp ....

 

I just didn't want this to go off track from the original posters intention

 

Yeah, because we've never had that happen before.... :blah

 

:jerkit:

  • 0
Posted

I'll second laser surgery.  I even had to go with Lasix in one eye and PRK in the other (PRK has a very extended healing time) and my PRK eye had issues and had to have another very painful operation.  Basically I was in pain in the PRK eye for 2-3 months NON STOP.  But it was SOOOO worth it.  (And my case has happened like 5 times ou t of the 65,000 surgeries the surgeon had done, so y'all will be fine!)

 

LASER SURGERY is the WAY TO GO!

  • 0
Posted

Maybe it's just me, but I have NEVER heard a comment about my glasses while officiating a game.

 

I have been sprayed in the face with the top layer grit/silt on pitches "in the dirt" to the point that it "stung" my face and I was glad of the eye protection my glasses afforded so that I did not get that crap in my eyes. My lenses also have a UV protection coating which may very well put off the day I need cataract surgery.

 

JM

Ditto

  • 0
Posted

I never have heard any comments on the rare occasion I wear my glasses, but I only do that when my eyes are bothering me too much to wear contacts.  I seem to get more comments from people who see me umpire and then see me off the field with glasses ("Oh, I didn't know you wore glasses")

 

One issue I have is that I no longer own a pair of single-vision glasses, all my glasses are bifocals or reading glasses.  Makes it easy to read the lineups but when I first started wearing bifocals doing the plate was a challenge as I was getting used to the multi-vision lenses.  I sometimes find that when I wear my glasses (1-2 times a year) on the plate I move my head a bit with the pitch to keep everything in the top of the lens.  I suppose this is a habit I've picked up from about 5 years of wearing bifocals, but I don't seem to do it with contacts in.

 

Oh to stay on topic, I have never had a problem with my glasses and a mask.  But, I don't take my cap off with my mask either so maybe I've figured it out!

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

 

Maybe it's just me, but I have NEVER heard a comment about my glasses while officiating a game.

 

I have been sprayed in the face with the top layer grit/silt on pitches "in the dirt" to the point that it "stung" my face and I was glad of the eye protection my glasses afforded so that I did not get that crap in my eyes. My lenses also have a UV protection coating which may very well put off the day I need cataract surgery.

 

JM

Ditto

 

I had a JV coach who was on his way to the parking lot anyway tell me that I need new glasses.  I had already booted him (and a player) on a close play at 3B.  This was one of the first games that I had started wearing my glasses.  It didn't affect me in the least.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

Jeff's original statement to BigUmpire was in response to feedback we have received saying too many threads go off topic. The only real comment I have had was a coach told me I needed to take my dark glasses off. My lenses are transition lenses so they get dark in the sun. 

  • 0
Posted

I only seem to have the fogging problem with my bifocals when I'm calling from behind the mound........... :stir:fuel:

 

Like many of the other repetitive motions we use in our general mechanics, practicing in front of a mirror will help a great deal.  I suffered through trying to get it down for a couple of weeks when I first started and then worked on getting things right with the mask coming off with the left hand.  As that was mastered so was the glasses issue.  I didn't hear to many comments, but I switched to contacts after my first season so my experience was limited there.

  • 0
Posted

I have worn glasses my whole life. It seemed natural to me. as I was a catcher too, and never had problems (old school with a real mask and helmet).

I thought about what I do and even did it to give make sure for my reply to this post.

I grab the center of my mask and my first movement is straight out from my face, then straight up. Works really well with any style hats as well.

My straps are loose on the mask as well.

Something to think about are the frames that you wear. Make sure that they don't get hit if your mask is blown off your head.

Cheap anti-fog trick we use for hockey - rub a little dish soap onto your lenses - let it dry - then clean the film like taking wax off your car.

It figures that maineump would make a hockey reference.  Next thing you know he'll be telling you about doing one arm push ups with a mascot!! 

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted
 My lenses also have a UV protection coating which may very well put off the day I need cataract surgery.

 

JM,

 

But it will happen, unfortunately, especially with all the extra sun we get as umpires.  I'm nearly 48, and started wearing glasses at about seven.  I even used what they now call "Transition" lenses - the whole darkening in bright sunlight.  And I've already had both eyes operated on for cataracts, at age 42 and 44.

 

On the other hand, I went from -6 to -7 in my prescription lenses to 20/20 in one eye, and 20/30ish in the other.  I need readers, but don't use glasses otherwise.  So, at this point, not the worse trade-off in the world.

  • 0
Posted

I've worn glasses (UV protection; Transitions lenses) for every game I've ever done.  The only comment I've ever heard about them made no sense at all.  After I made a call on a close play at Home (I don't remember the situation or even the call) someone in the stands yelled, "Next time, try that with your glasses off!"  To this day, I still have no idea what he meant.

 

I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned this, but maybe everyone assumes it's happening already.

 

Use a sportsband to better hold your glasses in place.  They instantly become a non-factor when taking off your mask, provided you stay aware that they're there.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Guest Guest
Posted

i am a new umpire and i have worn prescription glasses for the past 5 years. Ii was not able to take my mask off consistently and naturaly with my glasses on but cant see without them. do i need to get contacts? Or sports goggles?

 

any one else have this problem?

I started umpiring in 1978. I started wearing glasses in 1990. It used to be umpires NEVER wore glasses, but the "norm" has changed. They are now "accepted." I wear Rx glasses, but try getting smaller lenses/frames first. I hear contacts can be a bear, esp if one falls out during a game.

  • 0
Posted

I have worn contacts for every game I have ever umpired. I have never lost one. I am pretty comfortable abput the things i can and cant do with my lenses after 30 years of wearing them. I do carry a spare set in my gear bag just in case. Knock on wood I have never needed them. May consider the LASIK surgery if I have trouble with line up cards. I have reading glasses and bi vocals for work.

  • 0
Posted

I umped for 4 years with glasses and never had an issue getting my mask on and off. Just practice doing it and get consistent. I now use contacts because I like to wear sunglasses for day games.

  • 0
Posted

i am a new umpire and i have worn prescription glasses for the past 5 years. Ii was not able to take my mask off consistently and naturaly with my glasses on but cant see without them. do i need to get contacts? Or sports goggles?

 

any one else have this problem?

Don't let anybody fool you when everybody started they had trouble getting helmet off without taking their hat with ,you'll be fine with practice. Good luck

×
×
  • Create New...