Another reason to carry that mask in the left hand!

Lindsay
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4297 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've noticed several clips where he uses his right hand to hold the mask. For me, it has become second nature to take it off with my left hand. It only goes in my right hand to tuck it under my left arm in between innings. I don't even use my right hand to remove it from under my left arm.

I have to transfer it -- I'm left handed and if I end up throwing the ball (which I do rarely, but it happens once in a while -- exception is Little League where the catchers are expected to chase balls to the screen since we have no on-deck hitters), I can't hold the mask and throw a baseball. I've never caught, so I'm not even sure I could take a mask off with my right hand, though.

I am also left handed, but with practice I've mastered lobbing balls to the mound with my right hand.

Noone makes girlie throw jokes? I would!

Nah you can't even tell its my off hand! It just looks like a lazy toss. If I'm working a 60' diamond it doesn't even look lazy!

I used to throw like 95 curveballs a day to my son in our cage. Of course I never iced properly or did anything to take care of my arm. Needless to say, now my son can hit a curve, and I can't hit the ground. Thats why I hand the ball to F2 to throw back. Anytime I try to throw anything it hurts. Even once.