Mad Max Takes First Step (Ha!) at Cyborg Umpiring

MadMax

It’s happening. August 24th. The left hip – beaten and destroyed by four decades of intense athletics, manual labor (including Amazon, those jerks), and having to “drop-step and pivot to the midpoint!” (what the hell is the midpoint? :HS ) – is finally getting replaced! 

This has to happen. It’s the only way to continue my umpiring and trades careers. What makes this so ironic, is if I was to abandon the umpiring and trades-work, and focus on what I got a college degree in (graphic design), it wouldn’t get any better, since I’d be (back to) a desk job, sitting down… which is the worst thing for ya!! 

So! Guard your health and fitness, good friends, and wish me luck! Let’s hope the surgeon doesn’t get cute with the stitches! 😁

• Like 9

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

It’s happening. August 24th. The left hip – beaten and destroyed by four decades of intense athletics, manual labor (including Amazon, those jerks), and having to “drop-step and pivot to the midpoint!” (what the hell is the midpoint? :HS ) – is finally getting replaced! 

This has to happen. It’s the only way to continue my umpiring and trades careers. What makes this so ironic, is if I was to abandon the umpiring and trades-work, and focus on what I got a college degree in (graphic design), it wouldn’t get any better, since I’d be (back to) a desk job, sitting down… which is the worst thing for ya!! 

So! Guard your health and fitness, good friends, and wish me luck! Let’s hope the surgeon doesn’t get cute with the stitches! 😁

As a cyborg pancreas haver (insulin pump + continuous glucose monitoring) I can only say: welcome to the ranks. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

How you see you:

zi70i.gif

How the kids see you:

peter-griffin-six-million.gif

Pardon the hi-jack...that upper image always hits all the feels.

6-Mil was the first episodic TV show I ever watched. The opening credits of that show did more in 60 seconds than some 2 or 3 hour films. There has never been a better opening credits sequence in the history of TV...

~Dawg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

See if they can put in the green Alum Easton that was the only team bat back in the day. Probably still has some pop in it to take a few miliseconds off your 60....

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

That's only allowed under FED if Max's hip is covered by foam padding of not less that 1/4 inch.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Welcome to the Team Cyborg Ump.  Got my membership in 2020 with double total knee replacement. Never missed a game (thanks to Covid). Mine have been nothing short of amazing. I hope your surgery goes great.  Rehab is worth every drop of sweat.  Best of luck to you @MadMax  

• Thanks 1

H-Day + 4: 

I thank you all my friends and colleagues for your enduring support. 

The surgery was remarkably quick. I spent about an hour in prep, (re)met my surgeon, and was greeted by the anesthesiologist. He’s a family friend (my brother’s medical school roommate), so it was a significant relief. I felt nothing. I was wheeled in, asked what kind of music would I like to listen to (I said “Jazz”), and then that was it… I was Out.

The surgery took 1 hr 38 minutes. The surgeon confirmed what x-ray 🩻 images indicated previously – the socket was like a cup of gravel, with bone spurs and nodules. They had started to displace what was left of my femur 🦴 head. So he sawed off the femur head and hammered in a new head – said it took some pounding… something about really dense bones. 😬 Then smoothed out the socket, and cemented in a new socket, good for 35 years. 

45 minutes later, I was awake. Within an hour after that, I was walking – with a PT leashing me – around the clinic. Once they confirmed I was as expected, they wheelchaired me out, and my Dad – who had had his own left hip replacement 4 weeks earlier – took me home. 

The first day was relatively “easy” – no real pain, just lethargy and soreness. Most of it is centered around the incision. The surgeon makes a vertical incision on the front of the hip, and then spreads the muscle groups aside like curtains, holding them open for the procedure. That soreness is the result of those fibers being stretched for 1 and a half hours. 

Day 2 started to get tougher. There was an alternate reason – my niece had brought a stomach flu virus 🦠 into the house, that socked out her, and both my parents. Well, it got me, and overnight was terrible. We made a decision not to use Vicodin. I had taken two doses, but that already set me down the path of constipation and fallout from using it. Day 3 was nearly unbearable. Nausea, splitting headache, extreme lethargy, and zero appetite. This was compounded by being extremely… stopped up. 😫 

Morning of Day 4 was an all-out occupation of a bathroom. 

But I feel much, much better now! I’m now able to walk without a walker or cane. I can do stairs! What I’m noticing is that I walk more upright, and without the hitch I had before. My Dad’s directing all my rehab, based on that A) he is/was a coach, B) he’s already gone through the first 2 weeks of prescribed rehab, and C) he’s been gunning to do this for awhile now. 

In hindsight, I got three things I would have done sooner or instead: 

1. Over-hydrated. Flushing all this thru my system would have been easier, and I likely wouldn’t have been so constipated… which was a major cause of my discomfort. 
  2. Choose not to use Vicodin… at all. 
  3. Done more PT work, preemptively, on my legs, especially in terms of flexibility. 
  • Like 12

27 minutes ago, MadMax said:

1. Over-hydrated. Flushing all this thru my system would have been easier, and I likely wouldn’t have been so constipated… which was a major cause of my discomfort.

Great to hear all went well. There is a reason the post op nurse gets a smile on their head when they send you to the bathroom and you tell them that you peed and/or pooped. My first procedure, not of your type, they send me in while I say I haven't drunk anything in a while, nurse says they pumped you full of fluids on the table. I pee and nurse is very happy. My second procedure was an adventure. The older you are and the longer you are under anesthesia puts the nerves to sleep post op.

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear all is well, Max!

It still amazes me that they can cut off part of your bone and replace it with little to no pain from that.

I almost ended up on that table a few years ago as a result of transient osteoporosis.  The ball in my hip went soft and spongy and was on the verge of collapse.  Fortunately they finally shut me down COMPLETELY (was not allowed on my feet for three weeks) just in the nick of time.  Ever since then, this has fascinated me.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:15 AM, kylehutson said:

So not just limited to the skull??? :rollinglaugh:

Glad things went well (at least surgery-wise) and that you're on the road to recovery.

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that "dense bones" comment.  :) Well played, sir.

• Like 1