MLB Umpire Uniform Policies Chart

RC2004

1 hour ago, JHumbert15 said:

Seems as though they finally ran out of NOS Majestics and they couldn’t get a deal with Smitty (from a contractual standpoint) so they went with Rawlings, which is “in-house” for MLB, so it worked out easier for them this season. I’m not a huge fan of the new shirts personally. 

I heard the shirts last year were smitty but with the MLB logos sewn on and no official partnership deal. Like how the mlb guys are wearing Smitty pants (per Jim Kirk).

8 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I heard the shirts last year were smitty but with the MLB logos sewn on and no official partnership deal. Like how the mlb guys are wearing Smitty pants (per Jim Kirk).

Interesting- I hadn't heard that, but I don't think I'd be surprised were it true (the shirts).

13 hours ago, Sw-ump said:

Interestingly the Gerry Davis website has black ohsaa hats with the new logo, could that be a sign of a uniform change? Strange to me since they repeatedly said our uniforms will stay the same

I just went to check because I was curious. That's really weird because I haven't heard anything either. I seem to remember them talking about an updated logo in 2024-25 but I wasn't expecting black too. Somewhat of a pleasant surprise, though by the time this takes effect I'm not sure I'll be doing any HS ball, but if I am that'll be a welcome change.

14 hours ago, JHumbert15 said:

I just went to check because I was curious. That's really weird because I haven't heard anything either. I seem to remember them talking about an updated logo in 2024-25 but I wasn't expecting black too. Somewhat of a pleasant surprise, though by the time this takes effect I'm not sure I'll be doing any HS ball, but if I am that'll be a welcome change.

The updated logo is the FTX logo ... 🙄

7 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

The updated logo is the FTX logo ... 🙄

He's talking about the OHSAA logo hat.  It changed this year, but they didn't make us buy new hats & shirts for fear of losing (more) umpires due to cost.    The new logo is black, white & green whereas the old was red, white & navy blue.

new image.png.189578201c6ee48ae15d9669882ebd6d.png

vs

old image.png.92d4263ebe6acf7fbae71598b07fa5f2.png

56 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

He's talking about the OHSAA logo hat.  It changed this year, but they didn't make us buy new hats & shirts for fear of losing (more) umpires due to cost.    The new logo is black, white & green whereas the old was red, white & navy blue.

new image.png.189578201c6ee48ae15d9669882ebd6d.png

vs

old image.png.92d4263ebe6acf7fbae71598b07fa5f2.png

Don't tell me Ohio is changing to black?

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

Don't tell me Ohio is changing to black?

We were told we don't have (or get to) buy new shirts and hats and switch to the new logo due to costs.   So, for BB and SB we are still rocking the navy hats and shirts, while the other sports have went to the new logo from what I understand.  I assume we'll be switching in the near future though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

We were told we don't have (or get to) buy new shirts and hats and switch to the new logo due to costs.   So, for BB and SB we are still rocking the navy hats and shirts, while the other sports have went to the new logo from what I understand.  I assume we'll be switching in the near future though.

Gotta believe they will be changing for 2024.  Davis wouldn't put this on their site this early.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

It was a joke ... 

I want to offer these perspectives...First, I personally think that whatever base color MLB wears, that should be THEIR color and no one else umpiring any other level of baseball should wear that color.

Second, 2 years ago my association made the announcement that "The use of black shirts, provided they have the correct patches, have been approved for scholastic games." Previously, we were navy or light blue with 90% of guys only having navy. (For rec ball, we can wear any color we want as long as we match...)

Third, while I am not a fan of black shirts, when the announcement was made I said to myself, "Well, if they are making this announcement then that must mean guys have been pushing leadership to approve black shirts." So, I went out and bought 2 black shirts and...while this was not part of the announcement, 4 black hats (2 plate, 2 bases...and we wear 2 different logos depending on the county) AND black ball bags. Total of $150.

Fourth, every time over the past 2 years that I worked a scholastic game I would ask my partners, "So, we'll wear black tonight?"...and I have worn them twice over 50-some games.

Fifth, the one time I wore black for scholastic baseball and worked the bases, yeah...my partner on the plate had the black shirt but, not a black hat nor black ball bags. When I asked him about it he said he didn't know that was part of wearing the black shirt. To be fair, much of this is likely the lack of proper messaging. There's a reason MLB not only communicates in writing their uniform policies but, also includes photos.

Sixth, slightly unrelated, in the climate I work we spend one-third to half the scholastic season wearing a jacket. Currently, our state athletic association does not require that our jackets also be patched in the same fashion as our shirts. Which means we can wear the same jacket for ANY of the leagues we work throughout the year because we wear a blank jacket. Did I mention our uniform supplier will ONLY sell you a patched shirt and not JUST the patches so, we can't use magnets or velcro? We're all waiting for the state athletic association to tell us our jackets need to be patched too...so, that will be another $50 - $125 in jackets.

I don't know that this will increase the numbers in our ranks, but I really think the states need to provide some form of compensation for our uniforms. In closing, I love you all, brothers...but, you're just going to have to pardon me if I don't get my skirt blown up about black shirts...

~Dawg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I want to offer these perspectives...First, I personally think that whatever base color MLB wears, that should be THEIR color and no one else umpiring any other level of baseball should wear that color.

Second, 2 years ago my association made the announcement that "The use of black shirts, provided they have the correct patches, have been approved for scholastic games." Previously, we were navy or light blue with 90% of guys only having navy. (For rec ball, we can wear any color we want as long as we match...)

Third, while I am not a fan of black shirts, when the announcement was made I said to myself, "Well, if they are making this announcement then that must mean guys have been pushing leadership to approve black shirts." So, I went out and bought 2 black shirts and...while this was not part of the announcement, 4 black hats (2 plate, 2 bases...and we wear 2 different logos depending on the county) AND black ball bags. Total of $150.

Fourth, every time over the past 2 years that I worked a scholastic game I would ask my partners, "So, we'll wear black tonight?"...and I have worn them twice over 50-some games.

Fifth, the one time I wore black for scholastic baseball and worked the bases, yeah...my partner on the plate had the black shirt but, not a black hat nor black ball bags. When I asked him about it he said he didn't know that was part of wearing the black shirt. To be fair, much of this is likely the lack of proper messaging. There's a reason MLB not only communicates in writing their uniform policies but, also includes photos.

Sixth, slightly unrelated, in the climate I work we spend one-third to half the scholastic season wearing a jacket. Currently, our state athletic association does not require that our jackets also be patched in the same fashion as our shirts. Which means we can wear the same jacket for ANY of the leagues we work throughout the year because we wear a blank jacket. Did I mention our uniform supplier will ONLY sell you a patched shirt and not JUST the patches so, we can't use magnets or velcro? We're all waiting for the state athletic association to tell us our jackets need to be patched too...so, that will be another $50 - $125 in jackets.

I don't know that this will increase the numbers in our ranks, but I really think the states need to provide some form of compensation for our uniforms. In closing, I love you all, brothers...but, you're just going to have to pardon me if I don't get my skirt blown up about black shirts...

~Dawg

That will never happen because money is involved but also blurs the line between employer/employee and independent contractor.  The state associations are scared to death of this being challenged.

I think the states should move away from logo'ed shirts and give their officials an olive branch in this regard.  I do think there should be logo'ed hats but give a number of shirt styles to wear (black with gray panels, carolina blue with the black panels, etc.) and let guys wear those shirts without the logos.  If college conferences dont always require logos on the shirts, the high school associations should follow this lead.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

~Dawg

I'm just going to come out and say it. Patches on shirts are stupid. Just put the state logo on a hat and move on. Make that the requirement. It is something that I've been advocating for in Missouri, but they give us a new patch every year when we register. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

I'm just going to come out and say it. Patches on shirts are stupid. Just put the state logo on a hat and move on. Make that the requirement. It is something that I've been advocating for in Missouri, but they give us a new patch every year when we register. 

This makes so much sense!  BUT, ... then the shirt makers and the state associations can't charge exorbitant prices! 🙄 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

At least you guys still get a new patch!

Across the border in Illinois … IHSA has raised the fees and for that we got … less.

*They stopped sending patches, but we can buy them!  (I do not see many people wearing patches in any sport; almost everybody has theirs embroidered straight on.  Last ones I had done, that was $12 a pop.)

*We no longer get case books AT ALL.

* We only get rule books every other year.  (Illinois does not provide digital access and now NFHS has made their app the ONLY way to get them digitally. Previously, I would buy the Kindle version.  Which brings me to a weird question: Some states provide digital access.  Is there a state I can register in that would be cheaper than buying rule and case books for 3 sports?)

@SeeingEyeDog I can’t argue with any of your points.  

Before I went to Mississippi, I hadn’t bothered to get any black anything.  There just weren’t enough guys around here who had it, and the few that did generally carried and extra set so they could wear it with a partner.

Now it seems some of the younger guys are sporting it more.  Since I want to try to pretend I am a young, hip cat … I’m down with that, baby!  Ya’ dig me?

Mississippi introduced me to black and … gasp … the cream colored shirt.

I totally agree that state associations need to be more explicit in what is acceptable and what isn’t.  Last year,  worked with a guy who wore grey cargo pants and a $5 navy polo from Walmart (the school uniform type).  He looked like a buffoon, but he technically met NFHS’s requirement!

Be specific, but they should not price people out or sign any “exclusive” with any supplier that requires us to buy from one place (either direct from them or from a kick-back partner).

The newest uniforms ARE NOT made by Rawlings!  There are still made under the Nike/Fanatics/Majestic umbrella…. Ignore the tag you see on the inside of the shirt.  This pic is the inside of a MLB light blue long sleeve after the Majestic Logo was removed and before the newest shirt…

ede0f3e33c2dddec014268a6a5243e34.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@The Man in Blue...L...M...F...A...O! 😆 Preach it, brother! And I absolutely, positively dig you, Sir Hip-Ness!

Now...the CREAM SHIRT? Oh my brothers...my beautiful, blue brothers...the way most of you rock your black shirt? THAT...is my love for the cream shirt. Sublime, inspired...get yourself a cream shirt...yes, do that...TODAY! If loving the cream shirt is wrong, I don't wanna' be right!

~Dawg

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@The Man in Blue...L...M...F...A...O! 😆 Preach it, brother! And I absolutely, positively dig you, Sir Hip-Ness!

Now...the CREAM SHIRT? Oh my brothers...my beautiful, blue brothers...the way most of you rock your black shirt? THAT...is my love for the cream shirt. Sublime, inspired...get yourself a cream shirt...yes, do that...TODAY! If loving the cream shirt is wrong, I don't wanna' be right!

~Dawg

Last year we were told we were getting cream shirts for the State Tourney... 

meh they looked like a light yellow..

But we all wore them cause we were told we had to.  I carry it around in the truck with me. I may break it out if I get a scorcher of a day and I am solo doing a double.

8 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Last year we were told we were getting cream shirts for the State Tourney... 

meh they looked like a light yellow..

But we all wore them cause we were told we had to.  I carry it around in the truck with me. I may break it out if I get a scorcher of a day and I am solo doing a double.

The problem with cream is it shows dirt fast - and it's not for every body type.  I much prefer the light grey or blue for hot days.

But I am the odd guy evidently who prefers black.  If it's hot, it's hot no matter what color I wear and I haven't ever noticed much difference between colors on those days.   Black doesn't show sweat or dirt stains as easy, so I like it - not to mention it helps with slimming. 😁

To keep this on-topic, I was not initially a fan of the new black MLB shirts with blue collar insert, but it is growing on me.  I still think it's a bit too plain though for the rest of the shirt.  It needs panels or striping somewhere (side, neck, shoulders, arms, etc.) to look like an official.  This current shirt looks too coach-y or off-the-shelf to me.  It's just too plain.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

The problem with cream is it shows dirt fast - and it's not for every body type.  I much prefer the light grey or blue for hot days.

But I am the odd guy evidently who prefers black.  If it's hot, it's hot no matter what color I wear and I haven't ever noticed much difference between colors on those days.   Black doesn't show sweat or dirt stains as easy, so I like it - not to mention it helps with slimming. 😁

To keep this on-topic, I was not initially a fan of the new black MLB shirts with blue collar insert, but it is growing on me.  I still think it's a bit too plain though for the rest of the shirt.  It needs panels or striping somewhere (side, neck, shoulders, arms, etc.) to look like an official.  This current shirt looks too coach-y or off-the-shelf to me.  It's just too plain.

A number of college/MiLB/MLB guys like the black because it looks better on tv in their opinion, is slimming, and hides sweat/dirt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Since I want to try to pretend I am a young, hip cat … I’m down with that, baby!  Ya’ dig me?

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.png

26 minutes ago, FranklinT said:

A number of college/MiLB/MLB guys like the black because it looks better on tv in their opinion, is slimming, and hides sweat/dirt.

I have one college assigner that says "you can wear any color you want, as long as it's black".

Personally, I like gray. Cooler than dark colors, but doesn't show the dirt like cream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was ambivalent to the cream (yellow) at first, but it grew on me.  Worn properly (BLACK hat and BLACK ball bags) it actually looks kind of sharp during the day. Never wear it at night.

Yes, there is the dirt aspect, but it’s not as bad as white.  You do need to have a few extras (which I did not).

I do agree, (Mississippi/Louisiana) hot is hot and the color really doesn’t do much to help.

A quick aside … my complaining was almost instantly met with an announcement from the IHSA.  Sorry, not a uniform change.  We pay $70 for the first sport, $20 for the second, and $10 for each one after that.  They are going to give us 2 sports for $70 and just $10 for each after that.  Plus they are announcing some discount/reciprocity with border states to lure out of state officials.

In the past, Oregon would issue a new patch every year... for every sport. You couldn't permanently attach the patch because each one would have the current year on it. And you were not allowed to wear the previous year's patch. It was really annoying. I believe they have either gone to a patch that can be used year after year. Or have done away with them and required everyone to wear a state hat (it has been some time since I worked for oregon.)

Washington had a patch. But then went to a sublimated black shirt where the dye would wear rub off if you got a small crease in the shirt. THEY WERE TRASH! Thankfully the only rule was "if you wore a shirt you had to wear that shirt." I believe they have since also introduced at state hat.